Gibson Brands Forums

Any love for the Gibson Songwriter Rosewood guitars?

Larsongs

I may be mistaken but I believe Ren designed the Songwriter series. Guess he was just trying to add anew voice to the Gibson family. I don’t personally have any experience with them but people seem to like them. Of course you know the way rosewood affects the sound of most guitars.

Got one a few months back- very impressive- loud and articulate- definitely worth trying out to see if it fits your style- lots of bass and good highs a bit more scooped then

the short scale hog Gibsons- like the size.....not too big or too small.....really like it....and I have plenty Martins and Gibsons to choose from......

1 hour ago, J185cat said:

I could certainly be wrong about that but it does seem like I read that somewhere in the past.  Don’t remember where now.

It does look like it has his touch on it.. You may be right. I just haven’t been able to find anything though..

I’m surprised there isn’t more info about these Guitars.. Or is that most Gibson guys prefer Mahogany? I’m a fan of both & Guitars made of both..

J-45’s are in the $2999.00 range & the Songwriter is $3199.00, sounds great & definitely has more detail.. Seems like it would be the choice of many???

As far as I can figure Ren Ferguson's main and very important contribution to Gibson was to redesign the bracing carve he inherited and to go with the two different angle bracing footprints.  

While the evolution of the Songwriter has appeared here before, in a nutshell at first there was the CL Series which have been credited to Ren.  These first morphed into the Songbird and then the Songwriter.

In general, I prefer rosewood when used for the back and rim of smaller body guitars.  So, I will always take a Martin D18 over a D28. Plus, while it is probably petty, I really do not care for any guitar with abalone/pau trim.                              

Edited by zombywoof

26 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

As far as I can figure Ren Ferguson's main and very important contribution to Gibson was to redesign the bracing carve he inherited and to go with the two different angle bracing footprints.  

While the evolution of the Songwriter has appeared here before, in a nutshell at first there was the CL Series which have been credited to Ren.  These first morphed into the Songbird and then the Songwriter.

In general, I prefer rosewood when used for the back and rim of smaller body guitars.  So, I will always take a Martin D18 over a D28. Plus, while it is probably petty, I really do not care for any guitar with abalone/pau trim.                              

Is there a D-18 with Rosewood back & sides? I’m not familiar with one?

While the cosmetic trim on the Songwriter may appeal to some, the more important added feature compared to the D-28 Standard is the L.R. Baggs VTC electronics at the same Price point.. Although, the D-28 would most likely retain higher future resale value..  

Edited by Larsongs

5 hours ago, 4beagles said:

don't over think it....just play one or A/B against the D-28..............I don't think a pick up should be a deciding factor....sound and feel is everything...acoustic that is....

I agree.. The Guitar is everything… I want the best Guitar.. Whatever I get it will need a Pickup for my playing wants & needs. The Pick up is a Plus on the Gibson but the Guitar would have to pass the test.. 

Here’s a comparison Video.. I can’t understand a word he’s saying but at 3:15 it’s just Guitars playing..

Edited by Larsongs

7 hours ago, EuroAussie said:

Owned the cut away version. Sold it. Sound it like Gibson meets Taylor. 
But i also realised I dont like rosewood backed Gibson acoustics.

You hit on an interesting point. It seems most who buy Gibson Acoustics buy them for Mahogany Back & Sides.. Gibson Rosewood & Maple back & Sides Guitars are Outliers…

8 hours ago, EuroAussie said:

Owned the cut away version. Sold it. Sound it like Gibson meets Taylor. 
But i also realised I dont like rosewood backed Gibson acoustics.

The 2 above sound very neutral  to me. Like some anonymous clerk in the midsts of circus-people, show-folks, night-clubbers and flamboyant eccentric artists. .

Yet I'd like to try one in reality - a Songwriter vs a Songbird could be fun. Also though the body shape and head turn me off. Too wide hips under too narrow shoulders.

Have to add something tells me they might surprise positively. Ferguson wasn't born the week before materializing this vision.  

22 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

It seems most who buy Gibson Acoustics buy them for Mahogany Back & Sides.. Gibson Rosewood & Maple back & Sides Guitars are Outliers…

Count rose first - quite a lot have lusted for Jumbos & Doves over the years. For reasons better than good. 

20 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Is there a D-18 with Rosewood back & sides? I’m not familiar with one?

While the cosmetic trim on the Songwriter may appeal to some, the more important added feature compared to the D-28 Standard is the L.R. Baggs VTC electronics at the same Price point.. Although, the D-28 would most likely retain higher future resale value..  

That is the point.  I prefer the mahogany back and rim the D18 sports to the rosewood body D28. 

And I never cared much about factory installed electronics.  While I have owned old guitars with P90 and P13 pickups, the only instrument I have with something a bit more up to date remains my Fairbanks (which I purchased used) in which Dale had installed a K&K Pure Mini. It is unobtrusive enough that while Dale offered to remove it when I sent the guitar back to him for some modifications, I decided to leave it be. 

Edited by zombywoof

I own a 1975 Martin D-35 Rosewood back & sides (since new) & a 2001 Gibson Bozeman Masterbilt Solid Top J-160E Mahogany back & sides (since new). I love the Sound of both..

My 47 year old D-35 sounds as good as any of the D-41’s, D-42’s & D-45’s I’ve ever played. Although all were new.

I consider my J-160E to be ultimate Round Shoulder J Series Gibson I’ve ever played.. Compared to all the J Series Guitars I’ve played.. I like the Acoustic & P-90 Electric sound. Easy Volume & Tone controls (which look cool too) & the 15th open fret before the body..

My quest has been to find something different Sounding than both the above but equally as good in its own respect..

I’ve played some Maple J-200’s that sound good but expensive.. Hummingbirds & Doves that sound good but I’m not a fan of Birds & Bees on my Pickguards.

The Songwriter seems to be an ever evolving Guitar.. In name & build.. What do you all think about that?

Edited by Larsongs

On 9/22/2023 at 2:06 PM, Larsongs said:

I can’t find anything about Ren Ferguson designing these Guitars? 

You didn’t find anything because the original name for the series was the Custom Line .

The Gibson Custom Line (CL) Series was an acoustic guitar range introduced in the 1990s and made in Bozeman, Montana. The CLs had a longer scale length than the typical Gibson acoustic guitar and were designed by Ren Ferguson to compete with Martin D28 style acoustics which were hugely popular with guitarists. There were 5 tiers of CL guitars ranging from the CL-10 to CL-50. All had abalone rosettes (not really used by Gibson before on a production model), custom pickguard shapes and the more expensive models had mother of pearl snowflake or special leaf fingerboard inlays. 

A special moment in music history involving this body style was when Aaron Lewis played the song Outside acoustically with a CL model :

JC