Gibson Brands Forums

Any love for the Gibson Songwriter Rosewood guitars?

Larsongs

2 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

You didn’t find anything because the original name for the series was the Custom Line .

The Gibson Custom Line (CL) Series was an acoustic guitar range introduced in the 1990s and made in Bozeman, Montana. The CLs had a longer scale length than the typical Gibson acoustic guitar and were designed by Ren Ferguson to compete with Martin D28 style acoustics which were hugely popular with guitarists. There were 5 tiers of CL guitars ranging from the CL-10 to CL-50. All had abalone rosettes (not really used by Gibson before on a production model), custom pickguard shapes and the more expensive models had mother of pearl snowflake or special leaf fingerboard inlays. 

JC

Good info, Juan Carlos. Reminded me that I heard about Ren's development of the Songwriter. . . this video, straight from Ren (with Tony P.), explains the Custom Line to Songwriter lineage in the first 4 minutes:

• Upvote 1

Great Interview.. The first few minutes talks about the evolution of the Songwriter. It does appear it was designed to compete with the D-28.. It’s still in the same price range of a D-28...

At aprox 4 minutes Ren says the Songwriter is their biggest selling Guitar? Does that sound right? Or is he referring to the Martin D-28?

JCV dropping knowledge.   Cool video…

It was the first Gibson I owned; bought in the 1990s at a Sam Ash in Brooklyn. It was a nice sounding full guitar. I want to say I traded it in for either a J200 from Mannys, or a Takamine special LTD gecko.

I forgot about all this….

Edited by Salfromchatham

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Great Interview.. The first few minutes talks about the evolution of the Songwriter. It does appear it was designed to compete with the D-28.. It’s still in the same price range of a D-28...

At aprox 4 minutes Ren says the Songwriter is their biggest selling Guitar? Does that sound right? Or is he referring to the Martin D-28?

Gibson started to go toe to toe with Martin by building guitars which would appeal to their fans in the late-1950s starting with the Epiphone Frontier. 

Just curious though if anyone has played a Gibson Songmaker which were built at the Garrison Guitar factory in Canada from 2007-2010.  Although Gibson chose not to go with the unique bracing Garrison had developed, I recall liking the body shape of the Grand Concert version.  While I do not have a clue what these sold for new, they were a deal when bought used as up to maybe 5 or 6 years ago you could easily snag one for under $800.

Here's the Songmaker - something third, isn't it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Sounds pretty good - but played even better, , , , with 1 finger under band-aid. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=FppaqaILY5Y

I kind of like it. . . 

37 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Here's the Songmaker - something third, isn't it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Sounds pretty good - but played even better, , , , with 1 finger under band-aid. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=FppaqaILY5Y

I kind of like it. . . 

The video was shot 2011. Doesn’t say what year it is but apparently the Canadian model.. Just an uneducated guess.. That looks close to a D-28.. Quite a few cosmetic additions since then.. For better or worse..

Ren says in the Video it’s the number selling Acoustic Guitar.. Does he mean for Martin or for Gibson? I could see Martin.. But I would think it would be the J-45 for Gibson…

That said, the Songwriter seems to be a great sounding Guitar..   A bit on the controversial side though? 

On 9/24/2023 at 3:14 PM, Larsongs said:

You hit on an interesting point. It seems most who buy Gibson Acoustics buy them for Mahogany Back & Sides.. Gibson Rosewood & Maple back & Sides Guitars are Outliers…

Actually, pretty big fan of Gibson maple here, but only on large bodies ..own the Dove and J-150 and love the warmth, yet cripness of those guitars, not missing the overtones you tend to get with rosewood. I had two rosewood Gibsons, the Songwriter and the Advanced Jumbo, moved them on both. Still own a Martin with rosewood but hardly ever play it.  Personal taste I guess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EuroAussie said:

Actually, pretty big fan of Gibson maple here, but only on large bodies ..own the Dove and J-150 and love the warmth, yet cripness of those guitars, not missing the overtones you tend to get with rosewood. I had two rosewood Gibsons, the Songwriter and the Advanced Jumbo, moved them on both. Still own a Martin with rosewood but hardly ever play it.  Personal taste I guess.

I'm with you on the Maple large bodies. I've had a couple small bodies that didn't do it for me. Currently in the Maple large bodies I have an L5, Super 400, DIF and SJ200.

I'm a big fan of the Martin rosewood sound and had quite a few. I'm down to two, I just prefer the feel of the Gibson's.  I went on a quest for a RW Gibson with a great sound. I went through quite a few but I'm happy with the ones I currently have. 

A friend has a 2006-8, not sure which, he bought new, without fretboard binding that’s a perfectly acceptable workhorse.  I was with him when he purchased, and I preferred the J-45 they had, but he liked the “fancy”.

While I’ve got the new ‘42 H-J45, his guitar sounds great alongside.  

16 hours ago, Gibson29 said:

A friend has a 2006-8, not sure which, he bought new, without fretboard binding that’s a perfectly acceptable workhorse.  I was with him when he purchased, and I preferred the J-45 they had, but he liked the “fancy”.

While I’ve got the new ‘42 H-J45, his guitar sounds great alongside.  

I believe those had Fishman Electronics.. Now they have L.R. Baggs.. It seems each year the Songwriters change.. Inside & Out.. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Murph said:

I thought my 2003 J-45 had Fishman. 

I was referring to the Songwriter.. But, for sure, Gibson changes Specs at will on most of their Guitars.. As I’m sure most other Manufacturers do as well. But, the Songwriter has definitely gone through some changes.. Different names, Specs & Cosmetics…

2 hours ago, Murph said:

I don't remember, I rarely ever use it.

I'm a "mic" kind of guy.

I use Mic’s mostly in the Studio for Recording.. I use the Pickups in my Acoustics with one of my Fender or Vox Tube  Amps for live.. I don’t like hauling a bunch of extra Gear.. If I can I like a Guitar in one hand & my Amp in the other.. One trip in & one trip out…