Gibson Brands Forums

Running on Empty / Jackson Browne Cover

thegreatgumbino

• thegreatgumbino changed the title to Running on Empty / Jackson Browne Cover
1 hour ago, Salfromchatham said:

Nice cover! Nice guitar too…

he is hard to sing up high for me…  folks like us gotst to go low!

cheers gumbino

Thanks, Sal.   💯too hard for me to song in his range, thus the reason I keep all my guitars in D standard tuning.  He plays this with no capo.  I usually play it with the capo on 2, but couldn’t make it work today.  I’m still learning.

3 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

How are you liking that Dove?

I absolutely love it.  Picked it up used at Fuller’s Guitars a little over a week ago.  It was one of the rare occasions when I knew from the first strum it was special and needed to come home with me.  It was mint and appeared to be unplayed, so I’m excited to see how the sound matures after some extended playing time.  I have to sell some gear and toys to make it happen, but it’s totally worth it.

Canon and thunderous come to mind each time I play it.  I’m having to work on a lighter touch as a result.  It’s responsive and articulate,  very resonant with lots of sustain, and an amazing low end growl.  

Edited by thegreatgumbino
Updated

On 9/28/2023 at 10:36 AM, thegreatgumbino said:

No doubt!  Lindley was amazing, and the two of them together was magic.

If you want a treat go give a listen to the live performance of Browne, Lindley and Warren Zevon originally broadcast from a studio in Holland in 1976.  They both do their own material but you got Bowne and Zevon sharing vocals with Zevon's piano thrown in and Lindley backing them in guitar.   Lindley's playing on Zevon's "Carmelita" is a real standout.  Admittedly though I am a much bigger fan of Zevon than Browne.

21 hours ago, zombywoof said:

If you want a treat go give a listen to the live performance of Browne, Lindley and Warren Zevon originally broadcast from a studio in Holland in 1976.  They both do their own material but you got Bowne and Zevon sharing vocals with Zevon's piano thrown in and Lindley backing them in guitar.   Lindley's playing on Zevon's "Carmelita" is a real standout.  Admittedly though I am a much bigger fan of Zevon than Browne.

That was excellent.  Thanks for mentioning it.  👍

On 9/30/2023 at 8:42 AM, zombywoof said:

Agree - the guitar work on Zevon's "Carmelita"  is  among the best I've ever heard.