Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird pick guard paint wearing off

ritch72

Hi All, I'm new to the forum (thanks for having me!)

I bought a Brand New Gibson USA Hummingbird - Original Heritage Cherry Burst (Beautiful Guitar) 3 weeks ago and have already managed to completely wear the paint off areas of the engraved pickguard without a huge amount of play (mainly finger style), is that normal?  I love a well played guitar but didn't expect it to happen quite so quickly.....any thoughts?

I agree -  paint should not have worn off after 3 weeks.  Either it was poorly applied, or you had something unusual on your fingers, assuming you prop one or two on the p/g while fingerpicking.  Is it worn off in that spot or in others where you don't touch or scratch it with a pick?  

As far as your choices - sounds like a return should still be respectfully considered by the retailer you purchased it from.   There are, or at least were, a couple of small  places on the engraved p/g's where the engraving was shallower and the paint wears off sooner, but mine is 15 years old and barely missing any - maybe 5%.  How much is your's missing?    G'Luck.  

R9jO11Z.jpgThis is my pick guard.   The “bird is almost 20-years old.   It’s been played countless times..  I don’t know what your pickguard’s material is, but this is the often-maligned “flubberguard.”  It’s like the day I got it. ….. I’m like you.  I want the pick guard to look great.  For me, the appearance of the Hummingbird is definitely part of its appeal.  Besides, you’re paying for the fancy pickguarsd. 

Thanks for the replies all, really appreciated! You’re right Fortyearspickn it’s worn off mainly where I plant my pinky finger for picking - the middle flower flute with the bird hovering has mostly gone (see pic attached)  & also a little on the stem where I strum fingers & plectrum. Finally I want to say I love the guitar but just wanted to establish if this is normal for a modern bird (MissouriPicker, yours looks amazing after 20 years!) rather than waste time swapping it for another that will have the same thing happen. Thanks again all! Peace 🙂

bird-1-1.jpg

Everybody’s body chemistry is a little different, you can see that played out with string life discussions. Some folks kill uncoated strings really fast. It’s unfortunate that you’ve got that much wear- but the good news is it’s only going to wear so much and then it’ll be as “bad” as it’s going to get. 

There’s also at least 3 kinds of hummingbird pickguards in the wild- the flubber guards, engraved and painted, and then the painted ones like yours. I think the painted and non engraved versions are the most likely to wear the paint off and you could try to get Gibson to sell you an engraved one.  Not sure how likely they are to entertain that. 

That is where mine is worn off.  A bit more - part of the other flower. But after 15 years ...  I think no one else notices it.   The 'flubber guard' is thicker and has a protective layer on it I believe.  I guess Gibson went back to the 'classic' version - etched and painted not coated.   So, yeah - what you've got is 'normal' and, if you like the guitar otherwise, it'd be crazy to bring it back.  A replacement would do the same thing.  When I first noticed mine - I bought  a static cling thick plastic sheet  ('guitar bra' I think) which you cut to shape.  I used it a couple of times.  P/G remained fine after all, as I noted. 

On 9/28/2023 at 2:35 PM, MissouriPicker said:

R9jO11Z.jpgThe “bird is almost 20-  this is the often-maligned “flubberguard.”  It’s like the day I got it. …..  

Nice photo, Mo’Pic. . . very “worldly”. The photo off to your shoulder is a good one, too. Boats made for open water. . . Pacific ?

Many will say that the thick flubberguard dampens the sound too much, but it did  have an advantage  when it was used on the Hummingbird.

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It may just be the angle, but Missouri's PG looks shiny and '72's doesn't. Is there lacquer on some of the PG's protecting them?

It’s the flubber.

Edited by 62burst

Just now, 62burst said:

Nice photo, Mo’Pic. . . very “worldly”. The photo off to your shoulder is a good one, too. Boats made for open water. . . Pacific NW ?

Many will say that the thick flubberguard dampens the sound too much, but it does have a plus when used on the Hummingbird.

It’s the flubber.

That must be where the magic is. 

As I got those Fading Pickguard Blues has been discussed here before, you might do a search for more enlightenment.  While it is anecdotal, my wife's J200 is 63 years old and the pickguard looks pretty much like it did when I snagged it a couple of decades ago. 

Does Bozeman continue the Gibson tradition of shooting the lacquer after the pickguard (as well as everything else) is attached to the body.

9 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Does Bozeman continue the Gibson tradition of shooting the lacquer after the pickguard (as well as everything else) is attached to the body.

There is full gloss under the 'guard. 

'Woof- was it you that had some info about the graphics being on the underside of the pickguard on the Hummingbirds, etc, in the early 1960's ?

Thanks so much for the reply’s, I’m loving the Gibson community vibe! Further to your various comments I’m now embracing the wear as a bond between myself & the bird. I realize it’s about enjoying and playing this beautiful guitar rather than worrying about how it looks. Cheers! Ritch

• Like 1

On 9/29/2023 at 10:37 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

It may just be the angle, but Missouri's PG looks shiny and '72's doesn't. Is there lacquer on some of the PG's protecting them?

SGT., nothing on my bird pick guard, except sweat, coffee stains, and maybe some chocolate chip cookie smudges.  The guard is just the way I bought it.  Of course, I’m 99% a fingerpicker, so I don’t necessarily hit to very often or hard.   However, on my Montana Gold J200 (not flubberguard), within a week   of having it, i noticed that the paint was a little lighter where I rest my little finger on the pick guard, so I put some clear high gloss lacquer on it and it’s fine now……..I don’t know is the flubberguard material does anything to the sound.  If it does or doesn’t, makes no difference to me…………I just think the Gibsons with fancy pickguards are too damn expensive for the design to quickly disappear.

https://imgur.com/a/Kkpnkca

Most ornamental Pickguards have the Art on the under side of the Pickguard. Which is usually clear.. Once the Design is painted, egraved etc. & any Decals are applied a layer of Paint is applied.. Which will be the background of the Pickguard.. When it is fitted in place it looks like the Top of the Pickguard was painted.. It's a clever trick..

I need to get a better way to post photos.... difficult with FB and not everyone has it....I used to have "Photo Bucket" but they decided to hold my photos hostage until I paid them for the service!

Anyway, after a year or so of playing my 'Bird, here is a photo of the pickguard.

Open photo

I took this photo today....after HUNDREDS of hours of play:
Open photo
I consider that "Mojo" on the guitar!

I suspect this pickguard will be more robust....this is also after many years of play:
Open photo

19 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I need to get a better way to post photos.... difficult with FB and not everyone has it....I used to have "Photo Bucket" but they decided to hold my photos hostage until I paid them for the service!

Anyway, after a year or so of playing my 'Bird, here is a photo of the pickguard.

Open photo

I took this photo today....after HUNDREDS of hours of play:
Open photo
I consider that "Mojo" on the guitar!

I suspect this pickguard will be more robust....this is also after many years of Open photo

Use Imgur

• Like 1