Gibson Brands Forums

Help in Orlando

BGM from Kansas

I have a challenge that I’m hoping someone on this forum can help me with.  I have ordered a new Gibson SJ-200 to be presented to a gentleman as a retirement gift at a convention in Orlando on October 11.  The guitar was originally promised to be delivered September 15 but is now pushed back to October 15 (and too late to be presented at his celebration).  I am looking for anyone in Orlando who owns an SJ-200 who can work with me on “borrowing” the guitar to be presented to him, which, of course, would be immediately returned!  It would even be cool if that person could attend the event and present it him/herself.  This need is only for the one evening event…the guitar won’t be played or used.  ‘For presentation purposes only”.

Anyone know anyone?

• Haha 1

I often loan my guitars to people I've never met on guitar forums. PM me your address and hell just keep the guitar too.

There is one guy in the acoustic section who lent Grace Potter one if his acoustic guitars for a concert of hers. He may be able to help. He has 100's of guitars.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

So ...    Since you're running out of time - here's some ideas.

Go to the retailer you purchased the actual Super Jumbo 200  from and get THEM to help you by loaning you one OR loaning you an Epiphone Look Alike Version. 

Phone around to Guitar Centers to see if they have  any 'rentals' they would rent to you.  

And, less 'honestly' - go to the GC  website for Used Acoustics and find one you can get shipped from wherever it is to your closest GC, pay for it as if you were buying it and, return it after the celebration.

Find another new one that can be shipped to you before the ceremony, purchase that one and cancel the order with the retailer that screwed you.  

Consider a Different Iconic Model. The Hummingbird is as impressive visually and tonally.  (Is that a word?).

Get a photo of an SJ200 - bring it to some graphic designer place to have them make a life-like blow up.  Like when people get checks from the Lottery.

As a final observation - many of us here are retired.  I think we could count on one finger those who got a brand new $5k guitar as a Retirement Gift.  So, you're friend should be ecstatic if he just gets a copy of the Back Order Slip.

G'Luck !  

7 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

So ...    Since you're running out of time - here's some ideas.

Go to the retailer you purchased the actual Super Jumbo 200  from and get THEM to help you by loaning you one OR loaning you an Epiphone Look Alike Version. 

Phone around to Guitar Centers to see if they have  any 'rentals' they would rent to you.  

And, less 'honestly' - go to the GC  website for Used Acoustics and find one you can get shipped from wherever it is to your closest GC, pay for it as if you were buying it and, return it after the celebration.

Find another new one that can be shipped to you before the ceremony, purchase that one and cancel the order with the retailer that screwed you.  

Consider a Different Iconic Model. The Hummingbird is as impressive visually and tonally.  (Is that a word?).

Get a photo of an SJ200 - bring it to some graphic designer place to have them make a life-like blow up.  Like when people get checks from the Lottery.

As a final observation - many of us here are retired.  I think we could count on one finger those who got a brand new $5k guitar as a Retirement Gift.  So, you're friend should be ecstatic if he just gets a copy of the Back Order Slip.

G'Luck !  

Multiple good options.

Thanks for the replies.  I think I am relegated to presenting him a plaque with the contributors listed and a copy of the bill of sale.  Tried a lot of the other options but it looks like this is the most realistic.  And since I bought it through Guitar Centers, they exhausted all of their efforts (including offering me an Epiphone to present, which I declined).

• Like 1