Gibson Brands Forums

Rosewood, Mahogany or Maple? Why?

Larsongs

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

What is it about Walnut that you like?

My J 45 walnut studio has a really nice balanced sound through the whole range.  I didn’t know it at the time (not knowing what I bought) but when I looked it up, they said it’s good for recording because of it, and I would guess that would be true.  And walnut is kinda cool looking.  I didn’t give a thought to the appearance at the time I just saw “brown” guitar.

Until I carried it to the check out.  It was late on a Saturday night and the usual suspects were hanging around chatting up their buddies still working.  The grizzled guy amusing the kid working the register with war stories saw the studio in my hand and started gushing all over it, saying he had never seen figuring like that and, “what the heck is that?”  

Startled, and clueless, looking blankly at the helper elf checking us out, I let him have a closer look.  As he was turning it over and whistling, I took a second to actually “see” the thing and appreciated it is kinda cool looking, and okay I maybe puffed up just a little bit. (I’m still not sure if he wasn’t the just professional shill they have on hand to make the newbies feel like they made a good choice, lol.)  

Like I said,  it was done on a lark and I had no idea what I was looking for other than finding something that sounded nice.  I had no idea how complicated “buying” a guitar could really become, lol.  

IMG_3250.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

They taste good and make nice furniture and guitars.

Peanut and Pecan only taste good.

RBSinTo

Don't forget, walnut makes nice flooring. My new (to me) house has walnut flooring throughout. It's one of the reasons I decided on this house after looking at about 80 others.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Don't forget, walnut makes nice flooring. My new (to me) house has walnut flooring throughout. It's one of the reasons I decided on this house after looking at about 80 others.

My grandparents had a big old walnut in their back-yard. A rare tree here and what an atmosphere it created, , , including the smell and the contact with the raw soft sour fruits.                                                                                       Someone, probably my dad or g-dad, chose a strong branch put up a small board between 2 pieces of rope. It was how I learned to swing. . 

It is now long gone. Actually revisited the place last year.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  But the house where the Märklin-model-railroad existed in the attic, where I got the Fab's Twist and Shout EP and the girl Lisbeth was a neighbor is still there. .  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

What is it about Walnut that you like?

It's tight, it's loud and it's American.

My J-15 is the same size as my Rosewood J-45. It's not as loud as the J-45, but she'll hold her own with mandolins and banjos.

Okay, maybe not banjos......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

My grandparents had a big old walnut in their back-yard. A rare tree here and what an atmosphere it created, , , including the smell and the contact with the raw soft sour fruits.                                                                                       Someone, probably my dad or g-dad, chose a strong branch put up a small board between 2 pieces of rope. It was how I learned to swing. . 

It is now long gone. Actually revisited the place last year.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  But the house where the Märklin-model-railroad existed in the attic, where I got the Fab's Twist and Shout EP and the girl Lisbeth was a neighbor is still there. .  

Love this.  Poetry… thanks for some beautiful  imagery

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

It's tight, it's loud and it's American.

My J-15 is the same size as my Rosewood J-45. It's not as loud as the J-45, but she'll hold her own with mandolins and banjos.

Okay, maybe not banjos......

Nod, spouse has a Taylor Grand Theater Urban Ash and it is the only other Taylor I can happily hear played (besides the 324 I mentioned with the mahogany top/urban ash back) It has really a lovely warm tone for a Taylor.  I was leery when they went to try it, but I was going to be brave if that was what they wanted, I was just excited they wanted to learn to play and I wasn’t going to do anything to get in the way.  Again, we had no idea when we came home with it what it was or what “urban ash” meant, but we were happily impressed when we read they were salvaging American ash trees that needed to be removed.  Nice program and it does make sweet guitars. 

Oh banjos are just stage hogs, lol.  (I actually am looking to pick one up.  I’ve had some fun with the ones I’ve picked up.) 

Edited by PrairieDog

7 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Where and how did palisander let you down ?

Rosewood just isn't my cup of tea typically.  I purchased a new Martin D-28 in 2002 and never bonded with that guitar.  I didn't know anything about playing all the guitars you could get your hands on to find the one you like at the time.  I purchased it solely on the recommendation of my two buddies that played guitar.  It wasn't until I sold the D-28 and started exploring makers/woods that my eyes were opened to the fact my ears preferred mahogany.

I've since owned a handful of rosewood guitars and have played a lot in shops over the years.   My best friend has had a Gibson Songwriter for 15 years and I'm not a fan of the sound of it.  He loves it.  I have another buddy with a Collings rosewood dread and while it's a beautiful guitar it doesn't do it for me sound wise.   62burst's RW Hummingbird sounds great in the clips he's shared.

I'm open to liking rosewood guitars, just haven't played one I couldn't live without yet.  I played a Gibson AJ at Fuller's around 8 years ago that knocked my socks off, but I wasn't in a position to purchase it at the time.  I'm still intrigued with a rosewood 12 fret small bodied Gibson.  I really like the sound of this guys custom RW LG2 12 fret:

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/169115-gibson-lg-2-custom-rw-12-fret/#comment-2149579

Edited by thegreatgumbino
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thegreatgumbino said:

Rosewood just isn't my cup of tea typically.  I purchased a new Martin D-28 in 2002 and never bonded with that guitar.  I didn't know anything about playing all the guitars you could get your hands on to find the one you like at the time.  I purchased it solely on the recommendation of my two buddies that played guitar.  It wasn't until I sold the D-28 and started exploring makers/woods that my eyes were opened to the fact my ears preferred mahogany.

I've since owned a handful of rosewood guitars and have played a lot in shops over the years.   My best friend has had a Gibson Songwriter for 15 years and I'm not a fan of the sound of it.  He loves it.  I have another buddy with a Collings rosewood dread and while it's a beautiful guitar it doesn't do it for me sound wise.   62burst's RW Hummingbird sounds great in the clips he's shared.

I'm open to liking rosewood guitars, just haven't played one I couldn't live without yet.  I played a Gibson AJ at Fuller's around 8 years ago that knocked my socks off, but I wasn't in a position to purchase it at the time.  I'm still intrigued with a rosewood 12 fret small bodied Gibson.  I really like the sound of this guys custom RW LG2 12 fret:

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/169115-gibson-lg-2-custom-rw-12-fret/#comment-2149579

Admit finding the D-28 a bit too conventional - actually slightly boring. The HD-28 and HD-28V however, are stunning guitars that could go to the end of this world.     

But yes, mahogany has something very seducing to it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         What interests me is that rose offers that broader perhaps also deeper power, , , and still quite often (not only in this tempel) falls behind the gentler or more rounded hog. .  

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 2

I've had two Walnut B&S guitars. An AJ and a Jackson Browne. The AJ Gold was unbelievably loud and the vibrations from it would rattle through your body. Everyone who played it had a big smile on their face when they felt the music go through their body.

The Jackson Browne was advertised as the Grand Piano of Guitars and lived up to it's name.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

I've had two Walnut B&S guitars. An AJ and a Jackson Browne. The AJ Gold was unbelievably loud and the vibrations from it would rattle through your body. Everyone who played it had a big smile on their face when they felt the music go through their body.

The Jackson Browne was advertised as the Grand Piano of Guitars and lived up to its name.

I’ve not been fortunate enough to play a JB model, but am very intrigued by them.  Hope to get my hands on one some day.  

I owned a Larrivee L-03 with Peruvian back and sides, and it was a fantastic guitar.  I regret selling that one.  The J-15’s I’ve played have been excellent guitars as well.   

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Love this.  Poetry… thanks for some beautiful  imagery

I grew up near a Walnut farm, ranch or whatever they’re called.. My friends family owned it. We’d ride our Bikes by there & would stop & gorge ourselves out on Walnuts! 

• Like 2

I love my 1975 Martin D-35, Rosewood & Spruce, I love my Gibson Bozeman Solis Top J-160E, Mahogany & Spruce.. I play both equally as much as the other..

I recently had an HD-28E.. Awesome! But too much like my D-35.. I also had a new USA Guild D-40E. Rosewood & Spruce.. Also an awesome Guitar but also sounded too much like my D-35..

I’m a Guitar Addict! I’m always looking for Guitars.. I’m looking for another Acoustic Electric & have played many different.. I’m still looking.. I’m trying all that I can get my hands on.. Looking for something different but equally as beautiful as the two that I have.. Not planning to get rid of either one of them. Just  add something different..

l’m liking this Thread & enjoy all your thoughts, opinions & Pics.. Keep them coming!

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 9:14 PM, Dave F said:

I really prefer the tone of Rosewood but had issues finding some Gibson's I like. I went through quite a few but like the ones I currently have. I have Gibson '42 SJ Banner (aged top), NL 12fret, M2M L00 12 fret with aged top, Martin HD40MS

Just saying “thanks.” We were getting self-concious about our rapid acquisitions when we had to pop for the 6 case rack while organizing our new music room (converted inconvenient dining small room we never used).  I just showed my spouse your pics. We are relaxing a bit. “Okay we have a ways to go!” 😁 Great collection.  

15 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Just saying “thanks.” We were getting self-concious about our rapid acquisitions when we had to pop for the 6 case rack while organizing our new music room (converted inconvenient dining small room we never used).  I just showed my spouse your pics. We are relaxing a bit. “Okay we have a ways to go!” 😁 Great collection.  

I set this room up when I had 50 guitars. When covid hit, I started thinking about my mortality and leaving all those guitars to my family who have no interest in them and decided to downsize. My goal was to get down to six but I slowed down when I got to 20. It was difficult to let go of thirty of them. I've crept back up to 27 and I'm thinking about another reduction.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I set this room up when I had 50 guitars. When covid hit, I started thinking about my mortality and leaving all those guitars to my family who have no interest in them and decided to downsize. My goal was to get down to six but I slowed down when I got to 20. It was difficult to let go of thirty of them. I've crept back up to 27 and I'm thinking about another reduction.

Chuckle, I totally understand.  Not guitars, yet.  But years back we amused ourselves by acquiring a little collection of regional artists, mostly historic era works, that could lay the foundation for a small museum.  We have no kids, so we are in the same boat pondering what to do with it all as time grows slowly, but inextricably, shorter… So far all we have come up with is asking the siblings, who are totally  uninterested and completely clueless,  “to please just don’t throw the art in the dumpster, call a gallery.” And of course, even after we swore off getting “one more piece,” we still are occasionally lured by sirens to crash on the rocks.  It’s a hard bruising battle.  

1 hour ago, Murph said:

There are a few people here who have mighty fine collections.

Indeed.

Grin, I have been gathering that… I just haven’t gotten to see everyone’s pretties…yet. Looking forward to admiring them all as I get to know you all better.  (And maybe resist trying to keep up, 😆)

Edited by PrairieDog

I want to try Guitars with Maple, Walnut & some of the other woods mentioned. I played a friends new SJ-200 Maple & liked it a lot.. Now I want to try some with Walnut.. & other Woods..

I do like Gibson necks so I’m leaning towards another Gibson but have not ruled USA Guild or Martin.. Taylor’s & PRS haven’t thrilled me.. But,Maybe I should try some new ones?

What Models most impress you of the various Woods you all mention?

Edited by Larsongs

On 10/8/2023 at 3:37 AM, E-minor7 said:

Admit finding the D-28 a bit too conventional - actually slightly boring. The HD-28 and HD-28V however, are stunning guitars that could go to the end of this world.     

But yes, mahogany has something very seducing to it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         What interests me is that rose offers that broader perhaps also deeper power, , , and still quite often (not only in this tempel) falls behind the gentler or more rounded hog. .  

I agree with this. My first higher end guitar was a D-28 Standard non-scalloped. I never bonded with it and just could not understand what the fuzz was all about, unitil I tried the scalloped HD-28V version. I love to play palm-muted, rumbling, Neil Young style, minor chords on my scalloped D-28. This is a sound I can't find in Gibsons. The Martin, on the other hand, can't do that dry as a dessert thump of a J-45.

Lars

• Like 1