Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic guitar for beginner?

cayine

3 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Means nothing? 

Ceptorman,

You are being trolled.

And by a guy who thinks that the company that makes one guitar in 648 different colours, and pretends they are all different simply to boost sales, is the number one guitar company in the world. 

And he rags on Martin.

Too funny.

RBSinTo

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Ceptorman,

You are being trolled.

And by a guy who thinks that the company that makes one guitar in 648 different colours, and pretends they are all different simply to boost sales, is the number one guitar company in the world. 

And he rags on Martin.

Too funny.

RBSinTo

I know....lots of chain yankers around here. And then they wonder why this place can't seem to hold on to new people. Hard to fit in.

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Ceptorman,

You are being trolled.

Trolled?

This is a Gibson owned forum. I've been a Gibson player for over 50 years. I own Gibsons dating back to 1933. A 1962 Melody Maker twin pickup I've owned since 1969. I wore the frets off a '72 "Recording" Les Paul.  I gigged a 79 SG with country/southern rock bands from the Gulf coast to Nashville. I've been a member of this forum for over 15 years, and was on the one that this one replaced. Yea, I'm a Gibson enthusiast.

Martin watered down their name when they started importing Martins.

They did.

If I was looking for comments from people who admire the Martin Company, I'd join a different forum.

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

I know....lots of chain yankers around here. And then they wonder why this place can't seem to hold on to new people. Hard to fit in.

No chain yankin' here, just telling it like it is.

You've been here a few years, so we're doing something right.

[thumbup]

On 10/17/2023 at 9:40 AM, BluesKing777 said:

Here is a video on a couple of acoustics from Acoustic Letter - they rave about these two budget models on various forums - I have never seen or heard any of them in the flesh, but I played a new Yamaha FS5 (2nd video below), way, way more expensive but also heavily raved about everywhere, at a local shop and it was just beautiful....concert size, torrefied top, based on the famous 60s models we are told....though I personally prefer wider necks and spacing for my fingerstyle playing........but it would be an inspiring guitar to begin on. (or you can ignore us all and go and buy the most expensive acoustic in the local guitar shop! Get the Gibson with all the inlays! 😛)

These 2, you could be like the learner driver in the BMW!

And my preference in guitar shape old and new!

BluesKing777.

Discover your dream home in the heart of Lebanon with our stunning apartments for sale, offering modern luxury and a vibrant lifestyle check apartments for sale in lebanon

thank you so much for such a suggestion

Gibson, Fender, Martin & Gretsch all build some Import models.. They all offer Budget Beginners, Intermediate Guitars & Top of the Line Pro Series Guitars..

All of them have some good choices..

Things to consider..

How much does the OP want to Spend? What Materials used? Mahogany, Rosewood etc? Small, Medium or Large Body? Is the Neck comfortable to play? How well does it stay in tune? Does it come with a Case? What kind? What kind of Manufacturer Warranty? What Return or Exchange Policy does the Seller offer? 

17 hours ago, Murph said:

Yea, the Martin name means nothing anymore. Might be American, might be Mexican, who knows...?

Its really easy to tell if you have half a brain in your head a Mexican meal from an American one. Same with a Martin. 

If you look at the pics on the label it says Made In Mexico. The USA ones don't. And I only have a Liberal Arts Degree. Figured that out on my own.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/martin-special-000-x-series-macassar-top-auditorium-acoustic-electric-guitar/l82102000001000?cntry=US&cur=USD&utm_content=L82102000001000--Martin Special 000 X Series Macassar Top Auditorium Acoustic-Electric Guitar Ebony

Here is an easy game which one below is Mexican A or B?  Hint don't ask Murph.

The winner gets a free lifetime membership to the Gibson Guitar Forum. 

Example A

6teA3KV.jpg

Example B

MeVdkw0.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Which is worse? Martin building Guitars in Mexico or Gibson building Guitars in China?

Some Epiphones are built in China.

No Gibson's are built in China.

Or Mexico.

If a guy in a bar tells me he owns a Martin, it could be a cheap import.

If he tells me he owns a Gibson, I know it's not a cheap import.

Is this really that hard for you guys to comprehend?

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Or Mexico.

I  don’t take much of what anyone says in a Bar seriously..😊 

Gibson are expensive & they have had their fair share of clunkers that were built in the USA.. Gibson USA still has their fair share of of QC issues..

I own Gibson’s & Martin’s.. I like both equally.. Both Companies build Great Guitars.. I recently played a friends Sigma & it was an outstanding Guitar..

I think great Guitars can be built anywhere..  

The thing is Epi was Gibson's biggest competitor. They bought them in 1959, and overseas they went to be Gibson's black headed stepchild. They would end up making most of the same shaped and named guitars Gibson makes, but at a fraction of the price, and maybe quality.

I sure hope there will eventually be an Epi F5-G Mando at $599.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Murph said:

Or Mexico.

What if the tells you he has an Epi. Prior to '59 they were not cheap imports, they were made in America.  

So I guess If Martin's Mex stuff are cheap imports then todays modern Epi's are too? Huh? But since a family member owns one, its great for the price and the Martin one stinks like the after effects of a bean burrito.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

What if the tells you he has an Epi. Prior to '59 they were not cheap imports, they were made in America.  

So I guess If Martin's Mex stuff are cheap imports then todays modern Epi's are too? Huh? But since a family member owns one, its great for the price and the Martin one stinks like the after effects of a bean burrito.

Gibson is building USA Epi's now as well.... 

I've played many Gibson's that weren't as well made as Chinese Epiphones.. Even owned a couple for a minute..  Cheap Guitars are cheap Guitars.. You need to get to a certain Price point for any of them to be worth a  _ _ _ _! 

I do have to say IMO lower priced Epi's are generally better than their comparable competition...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The thing is Epi was Gibson's biggest competitor. They bought them in 1959, and overseas they went to be Gibson's black headed stepchild. They would end up making most of the same shaped and named guitars Gibson makes, but at a fraction of the price, and maybe quality.

I sure hope there will eventually be an Epi F5-G Mando at $599.

They did make the F model a while back.

EF50VSNH-large.jpg.auto.webp

OP on a Gibson sponsored site:    "What kind of beginner guitar should I buy with cost not being a concern?"

FM1:     Yamaha

FM2:      Alvarez

FM3:      Gibson, I don't like Yamaha

FM4:      Martin

FM5:     Some Yamaha's are cheap and poorly made

FM3:     Some Martins are made in Mexico

FM6:     Some Gibsons are made in China

FM7:     Those are Epiphones  

FM6:     Yeah, "BUT QUALITY" .....    some Epiphones are higher quality than some Gibsons

FM4:      How dare anyone point out, on a Gibson site, that some Martins are made in Mexico. 

SOCIAL MEDIA -    not for the feint of heart.