Gibson Brands Forums

The Blueridge Parkway, Peak color !

Murph

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Man, we drove the southern half, from Gatlinburg (Cherokee) up to Galax, Monday and the colors are PERFECT.

If you have the time, don't forget this national treasure.

Beautiful part of the country. Did you travel highway 129 Tale of the Dragon? You would remember the 318 turns in 11 miles!

58 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

If you're a motorcyclist, this is the best place in this country to be. 

True dat. I never got to ride it, I had a few 750 Honda's, a Suzuki 750 Intruder and an 850/4 Suzuki (shaft drive) with a Windjammer many years ago. Never had Harley money, most of my riding was done out west, or Louisiana. 

1 hour ago, Murph said:

True dat. I never got to ride it, I had a few 750 Honda's, a Suzuki 750 Intruder and an 850/4 Suzuki (shaft drive) with a Windjammer many years ago. Never had Harley money, most of my riding was done out west, or Louisiana. 

Awesome. I'm out in the southwest and in the summer it's too hot to ride!

It's a beautiful area of the country, that's for sure. 

You don't want to ride a motorcycle on the Blue Ridge Parkway this time of year.

The old people stop in the middle of the road to gawk instead of using one of the scenic overlooks.  You come around a blind corner and there they are,  stopped in the road.

From right after Labor Day to early October it's motorcycle paradise, the place is deserted.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteveFord said:

You don't want to ride a motorcycle on the Blue Ridge Parkway this time of year.

The old people stop in the middle of the road to gawk instead of using one of the scenic overlooks.  You come around a blind corner and there they are,  stopped in the road.

From right after Labor Day to early October it's motorcycle paradise, the place is deserted.

It was jam packed Monday, that's for sure.

You're right though, I didn't see a lot of motorcycles, several dozen, but not an abundance.

Idiots on bicycles blocking traffic was annoying...

16 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Driving through the Battlefields going into the Yorktown Coast Guard Base (where I worked for 6 years)  the tourist used to stop in the road all the time "Oh, look its Redout #2 . . .  slam on the brakes so we can gawk at it".

A redout is a mound of dirt with sharpened logs sticking out of it.  Them Colonials were so advanced in their fighting tactics.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The Tail of the Dragon (Highway 129) going from Knoxville into Deal's Gap NC gets so much traffic just to see what their car or bike can do in the twisties. Once you get on that highway, you can't off of it for about 11 miles, there are no cross streets just small parking areas every few blocks or so. There's a guy that runs a photography business that takes a picture of every vehicle that drives through there, he sets up his camera on a curve. You can go online a get a photo of your ride. His company name is Killboy.com! Just don't go off the road at Gravity Cavity, it's a long way down😄

12 hours ago, SteveFord said:

It was Murph who said bicycles blocking traffic.

I never saw a bicycle on there but they are allowed which is crazy:

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/bicycling-the-parkway.htm#:~:text=The Blue Ridge Parkway offers,Bicyclists should exercise extreme caution.

Yea, the damned bicycles bottlenecked traffic at least a half dozen times Monday, going North. There are sections where you simply can't pass them, especially in the tunnels, because there was too much traffic.

Some of those inclines are steep and there they are in their little sausage shorts peddling 90 rpm trying to get up the hill while 40 cars and trucks are behind them unable to get around.

They should outlaw bicycles during peak color.

• Like 1