Gibson Brands Forums

Back of headstock oddity

Cougar

So I'm taking a pic of the back of the headstock of my J-165... which is easier said than done since the serial number is dark on dark.  Anyway, below the serial number I expect it to say Made in USA, but it looks like they really screwed up the stamp when they stamped this one.  It's definitely not "USED" or anything like that; I think it's supposed to be Made in USA and the stamper just botched the job.  What do you think?

gbs211.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

I've had them worse than that. A lot worse.

Haha, good to know!  Yeah, after looking at it then looking at it some more, I can kind of see that they were trying to come out with "Made in USA," but the "US" is basically ". ." and the "MADE" is something like "*ASE" (not sure how they got to "S" in there).  Well, at least the serial number is legible.... 🙄

Obviously, what happened here was the tuner screwer on'er guy could have simply adjusted those tuners so as to not cover the letters. I mean, they don't REALLY need to be evenly spaced, they could go anywhere. But he chose to cover the stamping.

\:D/

• Thanks 1

Its good to know some stuff just never changes. 

Most places if you do sloppy work you don't last to long.  The QA person just checks a box and initials it off, and on to the next station for another checked box and initials. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 12/21/2023 at 8:35 PM, Dave F said:

I've had them worse than that. A lot worse.

Absolutely. Gibson is not shy about applying a healthy coat of lacquer to the front and back of their headstocks. Would you rather have them stamp it after they apply the lacquer? 😀

On 12/21/2023 at 7:17 PM, Cougar said:

I think it's supposed to be Made in USA and the stamper just botched the job.  What do you think?

How does the guitar sound? You'll be fine. 

Nice guitar. Good luck with the sale.

Edited by 62burst
EDITED.
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Cougar said:

So I'm taking a pic of the back of the headstock of my J-165... which is easier said than done since the serial number is dark on dark.  Anyway, below the serial number I expect it to say Made in USA, but it looks like they really screwed up the stamp when they stamped this one.  It's definitely not "USED" or anything like that; I think it's supposed to be Made in USA and the stamper just botched the job.  What do you think?

gbs211.jpg

Chiuvention testing chamber

am seeking opinions on this strange guitar. This is a 1952 Les Paul that may actually be a very early prototype made in 1951. It is early enough that it was made before they started putting serial numbers on. This guitar has been in the closet for about 15 years. Took it out and have been contemplating what to do with it- keep and refurbish or sell. As you can hopefully see from the pics, the guitar has had significant work done to it- mostly, i would assume to deal with that weird '52 tailpiece that everyone hated. The fretboard has been shortened to compensate for the replacement tailpiece. an abr was added. according to my guitar tech, the neck appears to have been shaved down/slimmed. So, yes....a frankenstein job. But, the guitar sounds transcendent to me. All the electronics are original and working fine. It is one of the nicest sounding guitars I have ever played. And even with the weird fretboard and the thin neck, it plays like butter (at least with .9s).

On 12/21/2023 at 7:17 PM, Cougar said:

gbs211.jpg

Cougar,

I think if you like the way the guitar looks, plays and sounds, the quality of the stamping on the back of the headstock is irrelevant and immaterial.

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2023 at 4:54 AM, RBSinTo said:

I think if you like the way the guitar looks, plays and sounds, the quality of the stamping on the back of the headstock is irrelevant and immaterial.

Oh, for sure.  At first I was wondering what the heck was going on, then realized it was just a messed up stamping job, and as mentioned, that's apparently pretty common.  Yeah, no big deal.  It's a fantastic little 6-string compact jumbo.