Gibson Brands Forums

Okay, okay, okay.......

22 minutes ago, Buc McMaster said:

It is, however, located in the wilds of Canada where the dry winter air can wreak havoc on thin acoustic guitar woods..........I am a bit trepidatious over this potential issue.  It might be fine........it might not. 

Assuming it’s lived there for ‘lo these many years, I’d think the havoc, were it an issue, would have already ensued. If the repair history doesn’t have red flags, then perhaps it acclimated just fine and/or was properly taken care of. My three cents…

45 minutes ago, Buc McMaster said:

. . . owns a 185?

It's the bass note clarity that I'd been looking for in every incarnation of slope shouldered '45 based guitars I've had. That, the rock n' roll/life of the party good looks, and the obvious comfiness of that deep waist, were all givens, by it's body shape, appointments, and wood specs. A terrific strummer, but can get too bright if that strum lights up too much of the unwound strings. But there's a power core in the low->mid strings that when dialed in and driven, the mini jumbo body shape adds focus that gets the thing  up on plane allowing some different kind of core that takes on a mid tone that's unlike any J-45.

Edited by 62burst
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, AnneS said:

Assuming it’s lived there for ‘lo these many years, I’d think the havoc, were it an issue, would have already ensued. If the repair history doesn’t have red flags, then perhaps it acclimated just fine and/or was properly taken care of. My three cents…

It does show a little weather checking- but not a biggie. Shipping in the winter can challenge things, though.

49 minutes ago, 62burst said:

It's the bass note clarity that I'd been looking for in every incarnation of slope shouldered '45 based guitars I've had.

That's maple for you.........a tighter, more focused bass response.  Turns out that by some strange circumstances the guitar is not in Canada but Tennessee......nothing suspicious, just weird.  We're very close to a deal that will put an acoustic guitar in my hands after a long stretch without one.  I have bought more than one instrument 'sight unseen' and there's always a bit of anxiety associated with such transactions but I have arranged for a disinterested third party to make an in-person, in-hand assessment of the guitar for me............should have decision-making information available within a few hours.  Here we go!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Buc McMaster said:

That's maple for you.........a tighter, more focused bass response.  Turns out that by some strange circumstances the guitar is not in Canada but Tennessee......nothing suspicious, just weird.  We're very close to a deal that will put an acoustic guitar in my hands after a long stretch without one.  I have bought more than one instrument 'sight unseen' and there's always a bit of anxiety associated with such transactions but I have arranged for a disinterested third party to make an in-person, in-hand assessment of the guitar for me............should have decision-making information available within a few hours.  Here we go!

I Bought my DIF without ever touching it from GC.... so I could have returned it if it was a dog..... also bought my Hummingbird KOA before I touched it.... I called GC  in San Jose from Southern California and bought it over the phone....IF they put it in the case and stored it in the back room until I could get there to pick it up....again, I suspect I could have told them to keep it, but I'd already paid for it in full.   My J-50 was a present from my staff when I retired....so never touched it until it was on my doorstep..... I love all three of them....all for different reasons.....but they're special to me.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a guitar this way....as long as the dealer is reputable.  

I had a J185 Wildwood Hide Glue Special. It was a nice guitar but too vanilla for my taste. But then, All I do anymore is just play for my own enjoyment.  The model gets rave reviews for recording quality. 

Here's the one I had

1 hour ago, Buc McMaster said:

I am now the proud owner of a 2003 Gibson J-185 of the sinister persuasion!  Coming out of Tennessee, should arrive Friday.  Woohoo!

Hot diggetty! I guess your scout gave it a thumbs up. Can’t wait to hear all of it!

5 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

I am now the proud owner of a 2003 Gibson J-185 of the sinister persuasion!  Coming out of Tennessee, should arrive Friday.  Woohoo!

Congrats- hope we get to hear it, too.

Edited by 62burst

Funny how we progress over the years.   Start out as newbies frustrated with hurting fingers and buzzing notes, learning to tune without electronic tuners... .  Then we get to the next level where we can play cowboy chords, maybe even read music.  Then, hopefully an awakening - where we can enjoy our own music.  Those who don't get there - quit, probably more than half who pick up a guitar. Then we might gig with others or join a group or even perform....  Finally, where I am and some here on this thread,  re-discovering the joy of finding a new song and learning it from scratch.  And just plain simple 'noodling'.   To answer the classic question posed here occasionally:  "How many guitars do you need?"    When you've reached the peak, your peak, this peak, I think only one good one you can truly bond with.  Like your friend - that old Labrador Retriever.   With fond memories for the Pit Bull guitars you had decades ago - you remember  Music is to be experienced,  not just heard.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/8/2024 at 2:32 PM, Buc McMaster said:

The luthier I use worked on Tommy Shaw's J185 when he was in town a couple years ago

13620938_575330919336365_604025770623881