Gibson Brands Forums

New and Improved(?) NGD!

PrairieDog

Finally made it down to Willies.  Introducing our 1910 L1  (Plus bonus!) 

It’s in great shape, Willies repaired a couple cracks and a bit of binding, but otherwise it appears to be all original, even down to the Bakelite tortoiseshell celluloid tailpiece.   I was buying mostly for the historical vibe and didn’t expect it to have much sound, but wow, it stands up to be heard very nicely! They did adjust the bridge back a smidge, so maybe that helped.  Also, sometime in its life the back was taken off, maybe it was re-carved to help with the tone.  

Be kind to the other toy I picked up.  That there is a 1926 TB1, save for the head, nice and original. (Including cobwebs in the pot, and dead life forms in the original case 😆It was out of the way and not even listed on the website, it was practically a give away.  

The trip to Willies treated me exceptionally well. Both these pre-wars came home for the credit from the poor Songbird returned to the pound.  

p3X1keU.jpg

ajeKfwE.jpg

zxENOO4.jpg

n54LmSE.jpg

syryrLP.jpg

PXQxamo.jpg

4G38ivI.jpg

RprmMYE.jpg

LCZXRSH.jpg

A serious and very fine looking guitar. It may look a bit like chocolate - bet it doesn't sound like that. 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Congratulations

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buc McMaster said:

Nice score!  With a PAF tailpiece no less!  Dry, barky voice of acoustic arch tops?  

Thanks! I’m pretty stoked.  Not actually as dry as I expected.  I was braced for a really flat sound, but it actually has some good sustain/tonality on it.  And it’s loud.  Not modern, but it sure doesn’t hurt the ears.  We’re hoping it’s gonna really bite into some delta blues.   With the banjos it should be pretty fun.

Edited by PrairieDog

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

A serious and very fine looking guitar. It may look a bit like chocolate - bet it doesn't sound like that. 
                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Congratulations

Chuckle, thanks.  Yeah that color and texture actually seems like home, literally.  The house I grew up in was built the same year and trimmed out with mahogany inside.  The back of the guitar feels just like my bedroom door. 

Thanks guys! This feels so much better than the now flown away songbird. I was just willing myself to like it because it showed up at our GC, since they don’t often get in vintage gear.  

I need to stop shopping guitars and concentrate on picking up a mic.  The phone just doesn’t do any of them justice.  

Edited by PrairieDog

Oh Yeah!  I know of what you speak because I play a 1920 L3.  It showed up living about 20 minutes down the road from me.   It was even housed in its original Geib & Schaefer case.   Still had the pickguard but I removed it as it was turning all the metal parts green.  What as a poor boy to do when it literally shows up on your doorstep. 

Same exact guitar as yours other than mine has a reddish mahogany burst finish and fancier herringbone rosette.  While they are lo-fi sounding, I find both it and feel downright addictive.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Oh Yeah!  I know of what you speak because I play a 1920 L3.  It showed up living about 20 minutes down the road from me.   It was even housed in its original Geib & Schaefer case.   Still had the pickguard but I removed it as it was turning all the metal parts green.  What as a poor boy to do when it literally shows up on your doorstep. 

Same exact guitar as yours other than mine has a reddish mahogany burst finish and fancier herringbone rosette.  While they are lo-fi sounding, I find both it and feel downright addictive.

Cool! I’m jealous you have the case.  mine is in a barely holding together ‘30s chipboard.  I’m going to be on the hunt for something better, but I understand it might be a challenge.  And yeah, I was having a tough time putting it down tonight.  Curious, I’m a finger picker, but I tried a pick with it, and yeah…. Opened it up even more! 

44 minutes ago, tpbiii said:

Here is my 1917 L-1 with some other older stuff.  Yours is in better shape than mine. 

S3LoN26.jpg

Also a 1924 GB-4 and RB-4

UNPI3WD.jpg

Best,

-Tom

Okay, those are all cool!! Love the banjos!  I was just listening to Joe Spann talk about the RB and GBs. Really nice to see yours in that context.  I’m just starting out on banjo, and I’m amazed at how fun they are.  Not sure if you saw my post at the holidays, but I got gobsmacked by a Pisgah Possum (open back) by my honey.  Amazing how different they sound.  The Possum is a serious instrument I don’t deserve yet, but I’m making progress. It will melt butter it’s so smooth.  

Edited by PrairieDog

5 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Cool! I’m jealous you have the case.  mine is in a barely holding together ‘30s chipboard.  I’m going to be on the hunt for something better, but I understand it might be a challenge.  And yeah, I was having a tough time putting it down tonight.  Curious, I’m a finger picker, but I tried a pick with it, and yeah…. Opened it up even more! 

I am also only a fingerpicker.  But these 0 size round soundhole guitars really respond well to fingerpicks.  I just need to get the hang of them.    

The case I have is a hardshell.  It is in really good condition so I have not had to find anything else to house it in.  Even came with some case candy such as one of those old rope straps.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I am also only a fingerpicker.  But these 0 size round soundhole guitars really respond well to fingerpicks.  I just need to get the hang of them.    

The case I have is a hardshell.  It is in really good condition so I have not had to find anything else to house it in.  Even came with some case candy such as one of those old rope straps.

And the case!? AND the strap????!!!! Man, SCORE.  yeah, you had no choice but to give that puppy a home.  Congrats! And yeah, I’m gonna try finger picks, that might feel more natural. I just feel so detached using a regular pick.  

Just now, Silversurfer said:

Congrats! I have a 1917 L-1.  Looks like yours is in better shape than mine.  But my L-1 still plays well for a 107 year old.  My guitar has a giant V neck, does yours?

F3817958-4AF0-44CA-830A-5D7F0CA32F48.jpeg

That’s a sweet one, yours still has some gloss on it, mine is pretty satiny now.  Yeah, the big V neck. Boy, it’s taking some getting used to.  Switching back and forth between it and the Tenor banjo (with a neck the thickness of my thumb) I’m getting hand whiplash 😆 

7 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

That’s a sweet one, yours still has some gloss on it, mine is pretty satiny now.  Yeah, the big V neck. Boy, it’s taking some getting used to.  Switching back and forth between it and the Tenor banjo (with a neck the thickness of my thumb) I’m getting hand whiplash 😆 

I’m a big Gibson fan and I love having a piece of its history as I’m sure you do, too..  Hope you enjoy them!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Chuckle, thanks.  Yeah that color and texture actually seems like home, literally.  The house I grew up in was built the same year and trimmed out with mahogany inside.  The back of the guitar feels just like my bedroom door. 

Excellent ~ side-aspects like that matter

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Murph said:

Holy cow, Batman.

That's mighty sweet.

Thanks, Murph! I’m still wrapping my head around the label just saying “Guitar” in the blank for the model, and nothing in the style, since there weren’t any others, yet.  It’s just “The Gibson Guitar.” If you wanted one, you bought that, period.  

11 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Being used to Louisville Slugger necks on guitars, depths of over 1.0" feel like coming home.  I still regularly play two others.  Given the wide nut and generous string spacing at the bridge the L3 is the comfiest guitar I own.  

The finishes on Gibsons built before 1933-1934 were hand rubbed rather than sprayed.  What is cool is that while they check like crazy it is so spider web fine that you can only see it when you are right on top of the guitar.

By the way, at one time Gibson offered L1s with a fixed pin bridge.  I have seen a 1906 and 1908 L1 which sported this feature.  Toby Walker owned one of them.  

Edited by zombywoof

2 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Being used to Louisville Slugger necks on guitars, depths of over 1.0" feel like coming home.  I still regularly play two others.  Given the wide nut and generous string spacing at the bridge the L3 is the comfiest guitar I own.  

The finishes on Gibsons built before 1933-1934 were hand rubbed rather than sprayed.  What is cool is that while they check like crazy it is so spider web fine that you can only see it when you are right on top of the guitar.

By the way, at one time Gibson offered L1s with a fixed pin bridge.  I have seen a 1906 and 1980 L1 which sported this feature.  Toby Walker owned one of these.  While I have never wrapped my hands around one, according to at least one well-respected luthier and expert, they sounded better than the floating bridge/tailpiece models. 

Well, my main guitar has a 1.56 nut, so this is a bit of a change, chuckle.   Amazingly the Adi on mine doesn’t have any checking, which I was really surprised by. Just a soft burnished look.  I can’t  see any evidence it was refinished, which I was initially suspecting.  The back though has that fine pebbly “texture” that old mahogany gets, like I mentioned on my childhood door. Not checking or breaks but more like the resins in the wood and the finish just got wrinkly from all the partying over the years. Given Willies adjusted the floating bridge back just a titch to improve the intonation, I can see why they may have switched to an adjustable,  to help with set up.  I can’t imagine mine sounding much better.  However, I just noticed my bridge has shifted a little to the tenor side, and my low E does seem a bit dull/flabby,  I’ll tweak it back centered to see if that changes anything.  It may have even happened since we brought it home.  I don’t remember it looking like that in the store.