Gibson Brands Forums

Forearm haze question.

styler

Gotta love the virtue signalling that chimes in on these threads- "just beat the hell out of it, it's a tool!" Well, pros take care of their tools. And these guitars ain't cheap. If you don't care about retaining some value, or giving the appearance that you give a sh*t, then don't be surprised when you come across someone who does.

Edited by JWG4927
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, JWG4927 said:

Gotta love the virtue signalling that chimes in on these threads- "just beat the hell out of it, it's a tool!" Well, pros take care of their tools. And these guitars ain't cheap. If you don't care about retaining some value, or giving the appearance that you give a sh*t, then don't be surprised when you come across someone who does.

You are not using the epithet correctly. “virtue signaling” would be pontificating you understand and appreciate caring for instruments better than other folks here who feel differently.  Live and live, huh? 

Just enjoy the guitar and let it inspire you!

Forearm haze all in my grain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Feelin' funny but I don't know why
'Scuse me while I kiss the sky

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 2/3/2024 at 12:36 AM, styler said:

Thanks guys for all the help.  

Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with taking pride in your guitar. And the forearm haze really bugged me at first. For the benefit of the thread, I wasn't criticising you for being bothered by it, let alone virtue-signalling.

But it's also highly likely that your guitar will acquire blemishes over the years and it's not obvious to me that haze can easily be removed.

Full disclosure, I have OCD - actual OCD - and these things can really bother me. I was very upset when I saw that the decal on my Dobro was marked, even though it’s a cheap Epiphone one. So I feel your pain!

Seeing these things as part of the guitar's story helped me accept something that troubled me. I hope it might help you too.

I think it's mad that people pay for ersatz relic-ing, but the fact that they do could give you comfort as well. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomG76 said:

Just to be clear, there's nothing wrong with taking pride in your guitar. And the forearm haze really bugged me at first. For the benefit of the thread, I wasn't criticising you for being bothered by it, let alone virtue-signalling.

But it's also highly likely that your guitar will acquire blemishes over the years and it's not obvious to me that haze can easily be removed.

Full disclosure, I have OCD - actual OCD - and these things can really bother me. I was very upset when I saw that the decal on my Dobro was marked, even though it’s a cheap Epiphone one. So I feel your pain!

Seeing these things as part of the guitar's story helped me accept something that troubled me. I hope it might help you too.

I think it's mad that people pay for ersatz relic-ing, but the fact that they do could give you comfort as well. 

Nod.  While I try to take care of my things, stuff happens, and yeah, I used to lose it.  Now I take some comfort in buying pre-dinged things and it’s quite freeing knowing my bonks aren’t going to be the first.  I’m sure it’s been mentioned here someplace how the Japanese even celebrate breaks in pottery with a special process, Kintsugi, mixing precious metals into the mends to highlight the patterns from the breaks.  It begins to look quite beautiful once your eye gets it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Nod.  While I try to take care of my things, stuff happens, and yeah, I used to lose it.  Now I take some comfort in buying pre-dinged things and it’s quite freeing knowing my bonks aren’t going to be the first.  I’m sure it’s been mentioned here someplace how the Japanese even celebrate breaks in pottery with a special process, Kintsugi, mixing precious metals into the mends to highlight the patterns from the breaks.  It begins to look quite beautiful once your eye gets it.  

The Japanese can be very sagacious.

As previously mentioned, old nitro finishes can be quite finicky about what you put on them.  The Virtuoso cleaner I have used in the past with good results really messed up the finish on the J-185 and I've been wracking my brain trying to find a solution..........

You can see the hazed-over area where Virtuoso was applied in an effort to remove 20+ years of use............ugly to say the least.  But I found an old pick polishing pad from JB Picks (which no longer is in business) and tried the polishing side on the area.  It took about two hours of elbow grease (with no additional product of any kind) but the mess is cleaned up!  What remains is the original forearm haze I intended to remove in the first place, and I think this might clean up with further work with the pad.  Hurrah!

LvhHwHX.jpg  tqgfnJ1.jpg

LpNtUoz.jpg