Gibson Brands Forums

There Is No Best Guitarist

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Some of my wife's favorite concerts with me were Rush shows. She never had to wait in line for the ladies room.

Many players are great, but there is no best.

No one can  quantify who is the best. . . but he played with his teeth, and behind his back. Just B S showmanship.

they are hands down, at the very the top of my list.  I wouldn't say my life wouldn't be the same with out all those years since the second album, but, ya it probably wouldn't be.

(as a guitarist Anway)

the only tour I missed was I think Vapor Trails

No matter who you are, there is always someone better and someone worse than you.

Jimi thought Terry Kath and Buddy Guy were better than he was. I think it's simply a personal matter.

And to tell you the truth, I don't have a #1 favorite guitarist, but perhaps 20. I'd include the above,  and add Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, Jimmy Page, Duane Allman, Robert Fripp, David Gilmour, Alvin Lee, Joe Walsh, and at least a dozen more that will pop into my head as soon as I hit "Submit Reply".

And that's only rock guitarists.

Notes ♫

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

they are hands down, at the very the top of my list.  I wouldn't say my life wouldn't be the same with out all those years since the second album, but, ya it probably wouldn't be.

(as a guitarist Anway)

the only tour I missed was I think Vapor Trails

I saw them 8 times. Pictures, Grace, Power, Hold, 30th, Time Machine, Clockwork, and 40th. I was underway a lot after ‘87.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Karloff said:

"I don't get involved in discussions about who is better than who. cuz when it comes to playing guitar, no one's keeping score" - Dickey Betts

Great statement but it seems guitar magazines are with their annual polls.

Are you kidding me Jimi wins again. I put my money on SRV this year. Maybe next year I'll put money down on Jimi. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Are you kidding me Jimi wins again. I put my money on SRV this year. Maybe next year I'll put money down on Jimi. 

yea, I agree with you. every time you turn around someone has come out with another best guitarist list ... I don't even bother reading them anymore. 

5 minutes ago, Karloff said:

yea, I agree with you. every time you turn around someone has come out with another best guitarist list ... I don't even bother reading them anymore. 

I got Fish Out Of Water yesterday. Listened to it in 5.1 S S. I was so high. It is such a good album, but that is my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I got Fish Out Of Water yesterday. Listened to it in 5.1 S S. I was so high. It is such a good album, but that is my opinion. 

that's my opinion as well. I bet that sounds fantastic in 5.1 ... 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

IMO, those kinds of articles are the magazine equivalent of click bait. They publish those lists because people like to read them. The online sites publish them because they are popular and controversial - as are most "best lists" - and again, people like to read them (and argue about the rankings), so they are good for their time on page stats as well as grabbing lots of page views. 

I mean, seriously; how do you say who is, for example, the "best" roots/rock slide player - Duane Allman, Ry Cooder, or David Lindley? There is no "best" at that level. They all are (or were) brilliant. But people want to read that type of content, and they love talking about the subject and debating opinions, and because of that, those types of articles are not going away any time soon. 

43 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

IMO, those kinds of articles are the magazine equivalent of click bait. They publish those lists because people like to read them. The online sites publish them because they are popular and controversial - as are most "best lists" - and again, people like to read them (and argue about the rankings), so they are good for their time on page stats as well as grabbing lots of page views. 

I mean, seriously; how do you say who is, for example, the "best" roots/rock slide player - Duane Allman, Ry Cooder, or David Lindley? There is no "best" at that level. They all are (or were) brilliant. But people want to read that type of content, and they love talking about the subject and debating opinions, and because of that, those types of articles are not going away any time soon. 

Lowell George did not suck on slide.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

You're probably right; even though I've never even heard of Tommy Tedesco.

Because everybody's 'best' is right. 

Im sure you would have heard him and maybe not know it, check his bio for some great guitar history

there is no best and they are all the best to someone...

Edited by jvi
content re-word

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Tommy was one, if not THE most recorded guitarist in history. He was an LA session player. Monster chops. He could read, and play, practically anything, in any genre. 

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

He was a member of the Wrecking Crew. You have probably heard him and of course not known it. He was a legend as a session musician. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Phil OKeefe said:

No sir, he most certainly did not suck. He was a monster slide player. 

He was also a real proficient Coc sniffer. He produced The Dead's Shakedown Street album. Jerry said Lowell would just snort all day while in the studio.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

He was also a real proficient Coc sniffer.

It probably would have been better for us (not to mention for him) if he hadn't been. He might have lived longer and we would have more Little Feat albums to cherish.

Just now, Phil OKeefe said:

It probably would have been better for us if he hadn't been. He might have lived longer and we would have more Little Feat albums to cherish. 

That is a true statement. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Karloff said:

my favorites are : Dickey Betts, Duane, Jimi, Stevie, Clapton, Roy Buchanan, Rory, Jorma, Warren Haynes, Gary Moore, Buddy Guy ... 

each one is the best at playing like themselves ...

Nobody’s as terrible as me, take that. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1