Gibson Brands Forums

There Is No Best Guitarist

Here’s the thing all you guys who think Jimi  is the greatest there ever was and will be start typing right now and tell me why, and give examples and reasons. And if you can’t it’s an opinion.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here’s the thing all you guys who think Jimi  is the greatest there ever was and will be start typing right now and tell me why, and give examples and reasons. And if you can’t it’s an opinion.

my favorite Jimi was the Band of Gypsy's. beautiful clean tones & playing.  I always thought Electric Ladyland was very self indulgent. there were of course some great tracks, but for my tastes, a lot of self indulgence.  

Band of Gypsy's was just straight up jamming. legend has it, after one of his performances at the Fillmore Jimi asked Bill Graham "how was it ?". Graham said "too much shuckin' & jivin, just play".  thats not verbatim but you get the drift. 

all that behind the head, behind the back, playing with his teeth he copped from Buddy Guy. Jimi was basically Buddy Guy on Acid. but thats just my opinion & you know what they say about opinions ...

32 minutes ago, Karloff said:

my favorite Jimi was the Band of Gypsy's. beautiful clean tones & playing.  I always thought Electric Ladyland was very self indulgent. there were of course some great tracks, but for my tastes, a lot of self indulgence.  

Band of Gypsy's was just straight up jamming. legend has it, after one of his performances at the Fillmore Jimi asked Bill Graham "how was it ?". Graham said "too much shuckin' & jivin, just play".  thats not verbatim but you get the drift. 

all that behind the head, behind the back, playing with his teeth he copped from Buddy Guy. Jimi was basically Buddy Guy on Acid. but thats just my opinion & you know what they say about opinions ...

Axis is my favorite album. The first one obviously took everyone by storm, and Ladyland has about 3 songs I really like. The rest of that album he's wanking off. Didn't care for Gypsy's either.

I'm not a huge Clapton guy either. He's great don't get me wrong, but a white guy playing the blues, who does that. L O T S

As Zappa said in The Torture Never Stops - He's the best of course of all the worst.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Axis is my favorite album. The first one obviously took everyone by storm, and Ladyland has about 3 songs I really like. The rest of that album he's wanking off. Didn't care for Gypsy's either.

I'm not a huge Clapton guy either. He's great don't get me wrong, but a white guy playing the blues, who does that. L O T S

As Zappa said in The Torture Never Stops - He's the best of course of all the worst.

this is off subject, but Zoot Allures is a great album ...

6 hours ago, Karloff said:

I liked BOG too and played the LP a lot. But clean tones? Jimi was about the most distorted player out there in 1970. 

I was in my 1st year at Art College when he died and we played some BOG is the studios at that time. Those less familiar with his live playing were taken aback at the sheer roughness of his playing. Most were able to get past it, but a couple couldn't.  

Electric Ladyland I also liked. I could only afford to buy half of it in 1968 (it was sold as a double but also as 2 'halves') I only got to hear the entire thing a year or so later. But I like the whole thing. Indulgent, yes ok, but that needn't be negative. He had a double LP at used it to stretch a bit further. He obviously worked at it damnned hard because his individuality is present for every second. It fit the times well. Now? I still like it, though I no longer have a copy of BOG, I can replay the whole of Machine Gun in my head any time I want.

• Like 1

I dont know about best but I dont think there has been another guitar player who has ever been quite as animated as Angus.. I was always taken with this clip where he moves so much all the time throughout a show that he needs to stop and take some oxygen in to keep going.. And whats mad is he doesnt play a single bum note throughout.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I liked BOG too and played the LP a lot. But clean tones? Jimi was about the most distorted player out there in 1970. 

I was in my 1st year at Art College when he died and we played some BOG is the studios at that time. Those less familiar with his live playing were taken aback at the sheer roughness of his playing. Most were able to get past it, but a couple couldn't.  

Electric Ladyland I also liked. I could only afford to buy half of it in 1968 (it was sold as a double but also as 2 'halves') I only got to hear the entire thing a year or so later. But I like the whole thing. Indulgent, yes ok, but that needn't be negative. He had a double LP at used it to stretch a bit further. He obviously worked at it damnned hard because his individuality is present for every second. It fit the times well. Now? I still like it, though I no longer have a copy of BOG, I can replay the whole of Machine Gun in my head any time I want.

he did use a fuzz pedal. but there were some great clean tones on the BOG album

I agree there is no best guitarist.  So many different genres and 'best' is too vague anyway. 

But Jimi was the best in his time , which was only 4 years really.  No-one else like him.   I still remember coming out of school on Sept 18 1970 and reading of his sudden death in the evening paper.

He was my absolute hero, my god and I have a pretty good Hendrix collection still (which now includes m-e's old 'Ladyland pt 1' LP).  He was the real thing, everything the European blues-rockers wanted to be and more and one of the major progenitors of what became heavy metal.  I only saw him at IOW 1970 in a big field on a very cold night at 1a.m.  The best version of 'Purple Haze' IMO is from a short CD Live at Clark University. Tuned down to concert D, massive  guitar and bass through Marshalls at full bore.   I stopped collecting with "Ist Rays" and "South Saturn Delta".

If you haven't heard this one, it's a good laugh; he was an excellent rhythm player too. 

I don't have a 'best' these days.  No need.

Edited by jdgm

Yes I think Jimi was incredible too... I think its easy to forget how young he was when he died. He played guitar for 12 years and became a legend..  And what he did in the time he had was astonishing.

If you want proof from a pro.. 

3 hours ago, Karloff said:

this is off subject, but Zoot Allures is a great album ...

For a Zappa fan sure, but for most here it’s just noise. Zoot was one of the first 2 FZ albums I ever listened to.

Most have no clue Frank was a drummer before he played guitar. And yes I have seen clips of him playing a bicycle.

Run to the toilet boy and comb your hair. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

Jimi was an innovator. When most guitarists were trying to avoid feedback, he embraced it and used it. I'm sure others did too, but he is the first one to make it big doing that.

That doesn't make him best, although he was both a very good musician and a fery good showman.

Notes ♫

Posted (edited)
On 2/29/2024 at 4:37 PM, Rabs said:

Yes I think Jimi was incredible too... I think its easy to forget how young he was when he died. He played guitar for 12 years and became a legend..  And what he did in the time he had was astonishing.

If you want proof from a pro.. 

I have never said Jimi was a hack, or no good, or a POS player. He blew people’s minds at the time. And was obviously at the top of his game, but to think that he is the greatest, and he hasn’t played a note for 50 years, and to think that any of the guitarist in the last 50 years have not done anything to surpass him is funny to me.

Hasn’t the Ford motor company come up with lots of better cars and ideas since the model T?

He certainly is one of the greatest, but the greatest . . . Nah.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Jimi was an innovator. When most guitarists were trying to avoid feedback, he embraced it and used it. I'm sure others did too, but he is the first one to make it big doing that.

That doesn't make him best, although he was both a very good musician and a fery good showman.

Notes ♫

I think the Beatles were the first to record feedback on the song, I Feel Fine. I think the Kinks and the Who might have used it live before Jimi.

Yes, there is no doubt Jimi  use the hell out of feedback.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have never said Jimi was a hack, or no good, or a POS player. He blew people’s minds at the time. And was obviously at the top of his game, but to think that he is the greatest, and he hasn’t played a note for 50 years, and to think that any of the guitarist in the last 50 years have not done anything to surpass him is funny to me.

Hasn’t the Ford motor company come up with lots of better cars and ideas since the model T?

He certainly is one of the greatest, but the greatest . . . Nah.

Well cars have advanced..  Guitars...  Hmmm, not so much. Jimi was playing on the same thing everyone else was and even today have we really surpassed the guitars of the 50s?  If anything people seem to want to get guitars as close as they can to 50s and 60s guitars.

Yet the music he made and his style of playing, no I dont think that has been surpassed. Of course there are way more technical players and faster players. But that doesnt necessarily  make them better musicians.

Like you could say that Steve Vai is a better player than Hendrix and in many ways that is correct. He played for Zappa which in itself says a lot. But do I prefer Steve Vais albums just cos he is technically a better player.. Nope.. Jimi was the whole package and I dont think there has been anyone quite like him. Stevie Ray was close but if there had been no Hendrix to inspire him, would there ever even have been a SRV?

So maybe these polls (which are pointless I agree) should actually say "Most influential guitarist"?

Edited by Rabs

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Well cars have advanced..  Guitars...  Hmmm, not so much. Jimi was playing on the same thing everyone else was and even today have we really surpassed the guitars of the 50s?  If anything people seem to want to get guitars as close as they can to 50s and 60s guitars.

Yet the music he made and his style of playing, no I dont think that has been surpassed. Of course there are way more technical players and faster players. But that doesnt necessarily  make them better musicians.

Like you could say that Steve Vai is a better player than Hendrix and in many ways that is correct. He played for Zappa which in itself says a lot. But do I prefer Steve Vais albums just cos he is technically a better player.. Nope.. Jimi was the whole package and I dont think there has been anyone quite like him. Stevie Ray was close but if there had been no Hendrix to inspire him, would there ever even have been a SRV?

So maybe these polls (which are pointless I agree) should actually say "Most influential guitarist"?

Influectial, I can certainly agree with.

While Vai is an amazing guitarist, I own absolutely nothing he’s done other than what he recorded with Frank. Although the shredders can play 10,000 notes in 4 bars of music, like Satriani, and Vai, and Malmsteen, and Paul Gilbert, yes they’re technically amazingly proficient but after one and a half songs, it bore me. Wow there he goes. He’s playing super fast again I’m impressed.

Guys like Richard Thompson and Lindsey Buckingham, and a few others are just completely forgotten about.  Those guys are just so technically amazing at fingerpicking and doing what they do. I would rather listen to those two guys. And their albums I could listen to again and again.

And  every once in a while, we have that guy that comes along. We had Eddie Van Halen, we had SRV, we had Randy Rhodes, we have Eric Johnson. Who’s next? Maybe no one.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

One of the other things about Hendrix...  He died.. So we never really will know what could have been.

BUT. A lot of the 60s/70s rock stars went really pants in the 80s.... The great legends struggled in the new electric sound that was now popular and between that, heavy metal, hair metal and rap there wasnt any space for these now aging rockers. Would Hendrix have done the same? Or would he have stood the test of time constantly releasing great music?

Obviously no one knows. But thats also I think part of why he is so highly regarded. He wasnt around long enough to make those flops that a lot of them did in the 80s. And that is I guess one of the most remarkable things. With the Experience he only made three studio albums yet just those albums themselves have influenced more players than almost anyone. It was quite a height to reach in such a short space of time and I dont think anyone else has quite reached that level.

I also agree, players like Buckingham get overlooked. I remember how blown away I was when I first saw this. What a sound from just one man and a guitar.

Edited by Rabs

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rabs said:

One of the other things about Hendrix...  He died.. So we never really will know what could have been.

BUT. A lot of the 60s/70s rock stars went really pants in the 80s.... The great legends struggled in the new electric sound that was now popular and between that, heavy metal, hair metal and rap there wasnt any space for these now aging rockers. Would Hendrix have done the same? Or would he have stood the test of time constantly releasing great music?

Obviously no one knows. But thats also I think part of why he is so highly regarded. He wasnt around long enough to make those flops that a lot of them did in the 80s. And that is I guess one of the most remarkable things. With the Experience he only made three studio albums yet just those albums themselves have influenced more players than almost anyone. It was quite a height to reach in such a short space of time and I dont think anyone else has quite reached that level.

I also agree, players like Buckingham get overlooked. I remember how blown away I was when I first saw this. What a sound from just one man and a guitar.

I saw L B, second row a few years back when I got home, I wanted to break every guitar I owned. He played Big Love when I saw him, on a nylon string guitar. Yeah,  Willie Nelson plays one, but not like that.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw L B, second row a few years back when I got home, I wanted to break every guitar I owned. He played Big Love when I saw him, on a nylon string guitar. Yeah,  Willie Nelson plays one, but not like that.

You must have seen this one?

On 2/29/2024 at 8:31 PM, Rabs said:

I dont know about best but I dont think there has been another guitar player who has ever been quite as animated as Angus.. I was always taken with this clip where he moves so much all the time throughout a show that he needs to stop and take some oxygen in to keep going.. And whats mad is he doesnt play a single bum note throughout.

Angus is still in my top 10 and it's around 32 years since I first heard AC/DC. Always loved his playing. You can always tell it's him. 

On 3/2/2024 at 3:09 PM, Rabs said:

Interesting point.

I was deeply into Hendrix before I started on guitar. By the time I did begin a couple of years later I was most certainly not influenced by his playing. On the electric side it would have been Mick Abrahams or Jerry Garcia. For acoustic. Bert Jansch & Michael Chapman. (still is BTW)

Its possible to enjoy someone's playing without necessarily being inspired by it.

Edited by merciful-evans