Gibson Brands Forums

2nd Time Around

I divorced my first one about 8 years ago. I never knew how much I loved her until she was gone. Even though I cried buckets she just wasn’t coming back.

Fortunately, fate smiled and gave me another chance. I’ll never let this one go. My new Songwriter should arrive in a few days. I’ll never let this one go. I’m guessing some of you may have had a few regrets like mine.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I swapped off a '72 Les Paul Recording that I kicked myself for many times. That was my second Gibson, the first Les Paul, and I gigged that guitar so much in Mesa/Phoenix and then for a decade plus down along the Gulf Coast (Lake Charles/Beaumont/New Orleans) that I wore the frets to the board. When I relocated to the Heartland around 1994 it was nearly unplayable, I was nearly broke, and I didn't have any contacts and needed a workhorse quick and swapped it even for an American Strat. About 800/900 bucks at the time.

I've since gone all acoustic and rarely play my electrics, although I still have a few.

I still miss the Les Paul though, I learned how to be a working musician with that guitar.

• Like 1

A tangential topic/side bar:  I totally understand that stuff happens and you don’t always get choices (and not that anyone would want my first/oldest guitar a ‘73 Yamaha g45 starter) but for those compulsive swappers out there, who are just chasing a “sound,” on another forum a timely clip of Bob Taylor just went up, pleading, “all you guitar horse-traders please keep one of your guitars. Just pick one, or you’ll never be able to experience what it sounds like when it is 15 years on.“

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

A tangential topic/side bar:  I totally understand that stuff happens and you don’t always get choices (and not that anyone would want my first/oldest guitar a ‘73 Yamaha g45 starter) but for those compulsive swappers out there, who are just chasing a “sound,” on another forum a timely clip of Bob Taylor just went up, pleading, “all you guitar horse-traders please keep one of your guitars. Just pick one, or you’ll never be able to experience what it sounds like when it is 15 years on.“

I've had my first Gibson (Jubilee) for maybe 52 years.  (it's a 1969 or 1970 model)

I've had my Dove for about 44 years. (It's a 1979 model)

My DIF I've had for 15 years.   (made in 2003)

My 'Bird I got brand-new in 2011  (so I've been able to experience it through it's entire 15-year life)

The 12-String 'Bird I got in  2018. (the ONLY Right-Handed 'Bird 12-String made in 2010)

The J-50 was given to me in 2020, (1975 model)

So, I'm obviously not a horse trader.... I still have every Gibson Acoustic I've ever owned.

Does that make me a bigamist?

Edited by DanvillRob
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I've had my first Gibson (Jubilee) for maybe 52 years.  (it's a 1969 or 1970 model)

My 'Bird I got brand-new in 2011  (so I've been able to experience it through it's entire 15-year life)

The 12-String 'Bird I got in  2018. (the ONLY Right-Handed 'Bird 12-String made in 2010)

So, I'm obviously not a horse trader.... I still have every Gibson Acoustic I've ever owned.

Naw, it makes you tremendously loyal… or a guitar hoarder, hmmm…. chuckle.  We’re still in GAS mode, and even though we’ve bought things we like maybe better than one or two we picked up 6 months ago, I can’t imagine voluntarily trading out any of them once we committed to adopting them.  The 2001 songbird was the only exception. Thought I was going to love it at home and after doing a lot of comparing, it taught me that not every guitar is the right fit, or brings something interesting to the party.  It was a weak version of my DIF and a dupe of my J45 Walnut Studio, even though the SB was Rosewood.  And just kinda blah next to everybody else.  So that one I was brave with, but probably only because I got the 1910 L1  “consolation prize” instead. Which I now fuss over like a tiny baby! Now that it is here, we even had a new whole house humidifier installed this week so we don’t have to mess around with the temperamental room size Dyson anymore. 😆

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Haha 1

Glad you are getting another soon.

I have never looked back or had the slightest regret selling on a guitar. I sold a Strat I had used for 25 years. I part exchanged it for a Jackson Soloist which I kept for the next 18 years. I sold that on too, and many more.

Enjoy that songwriter

On 3/9/2024 at 11:25 AM, DanvillRob said:

I've had a Kay since '64 (60 yrs) and an Ovation since '70 (54 yrs). The other 100 or so have come and gone and the cycle continues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Glad you are getting another soon.

I have never looked back or had the slightest regret selling on a guitar. I sold a Strat I had used for 25 years. I part exchanged it for a Jackson Soloist which I kept for the next 18 years. I sold that on too, and many more.

Enjoy that songwriter

Agreed! - somewhat.....had my strat new from 1975 until about 2016. Traded it for a Martin acoustic. Never looked back....but..... I don't believe I could let any of my Gibsons go! Call me sentimental!

Edited by B.T.

If I’d had as many wives as I’ve had guitars, even the Mormons would have kicked me out.  I’ve continuously swapped, sold guitars for over sixty years now.   My oldest one is my Hummingbird, which I I’ve had for twenty years now.   It’s not going anywhere.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

If I’d had as many wives as I’ve had guitars, even the Mormons would have kicked me out.  I’ve continuously swapped, sold guitars for over sixty years now.   My oldest one is my Hummingbird, which I I’ve had for twenty years now.   It’s not going anywhere.

I usually don't acquire something I don't totally love..... guitars, cars, houses, women, dogs, jobs...this list goes on forever!

• Like 1