Gibson Brands Forums

Please help! Is this J-45 legend authentic or fake?

Maestros

Are those Golden Age tuners? Did Gibson ever put those (or any open back tuners like this) on the J-45? No idea, but somebody may have done a tuner swap. Looking at the front of the headstock, I can almost imagine seeing a "bullseye" around a couple pegs like the ones that are left after removing the stock Rotomatic tuners. But that could also just be my imagination. 🙂

I know there are others here who like the Golden Age tuners, but I put them on my 2008 J-50 a number of years ago and they looked great. But was never happy with the way they operated, very stiff and not a high enough gear ratio for my taste. Finally swapped them out again for Kluson 3-on-a-strip closed tuners which were a big improvement.

Edited by Boyd

1 minute ago, Boyd said:

Are those Golden Age tuners? Did Gibson ever put those (or any open back tuners) on the J-45? No idea, but somebody may have done a tuner swap. Looking at the front of the headstock, I can almost imagine seeing a "bullseye" around a couple pegs like the ones that are left after removing the stock Rotomatic tuners. But that could also just be my imagination. 🙂

I know there are others here who like the Golden Age tuners, but I put them on my 2008 J-50 a number of years ago and they looked great. But was never happy with the way they operated, very stiff and not a high enough gear ratio for my taste. Finally swapped them out again for Kluson 3-on-a-strip tunes which were a big improvement.

I changed the tuners on my J-50 also.... but  I didn't mind them or the way they worked...they were just old....and pretty much worn out.....and I had a nice set of of old Grovers laying around.

Nothing wrong with changing tuners! I find the Rotomatics really ugly and got tired of looking at them. I also replaced the original Kluson tuners on my real 1965 J-50 with replicas that look identical but operate much more smoothly. To be clear - not suggesting that changing the tuners make that guitar a bad deal or anything. Was just observing that they might have been changed. Or not. 🙂

Looks good to me.  I've had a couple newer Gibson historic models that came with the Golden Age tuners so those also look original to that model to me. I looked at the same model on Reverb and they all those tuners.

13 minutes ago, Red 333 said:

Boy, that's a weird one. It's got the tuners, pickguard, and bridge of the recent 1936J-35 reissue, but the headstock decal of the recent 1942 J-45 Banner reissue.

The tuners of the 1936 J-35 reissue are cut straight at the tops; the J-45 Banner (and the Legend)  tuners are scalloped at the top, bottom, and corners.

The 1936 J-35 reissue's bridge has no pearl dots; the 1942 J-45 Banner reissue (and the Legend) have pearl dots.

The 1936 J-35 reissue's pickguard conforms to the outline of the body; the 1942 J-45 Banner reissue (and the Legend) have a teardrop shaped pickguard.

From what I can see in the picture, the back bracing does look like the 1942 J-45 Banner's, which is tall, and not the short and stubby back bracing of the 1936 J-35 reissue.

In addition, I don't believe a Legend, as an accurate repro of a 1942 guitar, ever had a sound hole label (though the  1936 J-35 reissue and 1942 J-45 Banner reissue do have them.

The Legend also had aged binding and a darker aged finish and headstock decals, etc. At least the original run did.

My best guess is this is a Gibson, but it's some kind of parts bin amalgam of 1936 J-35 reissue and 1942 J-45 Banner reissue that somehow escaped. I don't know why it would say Legend on the sound hole label, though. Maybe because inconsistency and get-it-out-the-door-efficiency is legendary in Gibson lore.

Finally, 1942 J-45 Legend (the originals, anyway) were famously all hide glue construction. The 1936 J-35 reissue and 1942 J-45 Banner reissue have top bracing and the neck joint fixed with hide glue, if that's at all a consideration in your purchase.

Red 333

Gibson took a break from the more accurate Legends around 2010. In 2015, they started them back up with less accurate features and labels.

16 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Gibson took a break from the more accurate Legends around 2010. In 2015, they started them back up with less accurate features and labels.

Yeah, I deleted my post. I see that the 2016 version of 34 (of which the guitar in question is one) had all these features. This is what you alluded to the other day in another post! I guess that when I think of the Legend, I think of the original run of highly accurate, all-hide glue guitars.

Accurate of a specific guitar is more accurate. Gibson made J-45s with any number of features of 1942, so maybe the guitar in question is accurate to one of those!

I must say, I prefer the finish on the 2016 version to the one with aged toner of the originals. It's the only reservation I have with mine.

Red 333

Edited by Red 333

If I recall the rap is that with Legends built up to at least 2010, Gibson went as far as to resurrect old machinery so they could duplicate the saw marks on the bracing. 

The biggest difference I can see between my 1942 J50 and the 2016 Legend is the back braces.  Those on my guitar are far more delicate.  They are barely 1/4" wide tapering upward to a depth of around 1/16".  Very similar to those on my 1932 L1.  But as has been said, specs being what they were at the time, consistency was not exactly a strong point when it came to Banners.

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 10:37 PM, DanvillRob said:

What caused you to have a concern?

The model name on the COA is hand written 🤪

it was just machine printed on all other J-45 legend COAs I have seen so far.

maybe I am too paranoid 😅

Edited by Maestros

22 hours ago, Red 333 said:

Yeah, I deleted my post. I see that the 2016 version of 34 (of which the guitar in question is one) had all these features. This is what you alluded to the other day in another post! I guess that when I think of the Legend, I think of the original run of highly accurate, all-hide glue guitars.

Accurate of a specific guitar is more accurate. Gibson made J-45s with any number of features of 1942, so maybe the guitar in question is accurate to one of those!

I must say, I prefer the finish on the 2016 version to the one with aged toner of the originals. It's the only reservation I have with mine.

Red 333

Thanks for your input though!

41 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

This guy was curious about the different COAs, also. BTW one is the same COA the OP is asking about.

So, I guess hand—written model names on COAs are nothing to worry about. 
thank you so much!

1 hour ago, Maestros said:

Thanks for your input though!

No problem. There are other guitars from that run of 34 on the web, and the features match, so looks like the genuine article. My concern was that it didn't match the features of the original edition of Legends, but as Dave F has shown, Gibson changed the specs. 

Good luck and let us all know what route you go 

Red 333

I wouldn't worry at all about the COA , or the guitar.  I have two Gibsons built about the same time as the 42 Legend in question.  Mine are both 2015's.  One has a COA with a typed model name and the other is handwritten.   Both came from reputable shops that sell Gibson guitars.

https://i.imgur.com/zUGhE2R.jpg

Edited by Bozz