Gibson Brands Forums

Cammo Warning?

I think I figured it out. 

THIS POSTING IS NOT OKAY. 

A blonde gets a job as a physical education teacher of 14-year-olds.

On her first day, she comes to watch the kids playing soccer. She watches as they all get together and starts playing. However, she quickly notices a boy at the end of the field standing alone, while all the other kids are running around having fun. She takes pity on him and decides to speak to him.

"You ok?" she says kindly.

"Yes." he says.

"You can go and play with the other kids you know." she says encouragingly.

"It’s best I stay here." he says.

"Why’s that sweetie?" asks the compassionate teacher.

The boy gives her a weird look and says, “Because I’m the Goalie.”

and then so,

THIS POSTING IS OKAY

A blonde guitar player gets a job as a physical education teacher of 14-year-olds. Her name is Orianthi.

On her first day, she comes to watch the kids playing soccer. She watches as they all get together and starts playing. However, she quickly notices a boy at the end of the field standing alone, playing his guitar while all the other kids are running around having fun. She takes pity on him and decides to speak to him. She puts down her Gibson R9 Les Paul burst, and walks over to the boy. 

"You ok?" she says kindly.

"Yes." he says.

"You can go and play with the other kids you know." she says encouragingly.

"It’s best I stay here." he says. He plays an arpeggio on his vintage 1970 Gibson Firebird I. 

"Why’s that sweetie?" asks the compassionate teacher.

The boy gives her a weird look and says, “Because I’m the Goalie. And I'm trying to decide if this Les Paul I found on Craigslist is a fake. ”

😐

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

careful what you wish for there doggie mate, this place has been pretty lightly moderated over the years I'd say - mostly that's good and sometimes its like when some tw@t driver makes you wish the highway cops would just magically appear grumpily having missed their morning donut. [laugh]

I think your point about the purpose of it is fairly true - and it used to be that way - go back in time and check out what it was like in 2013/14/15....great discussion, many guitars being purchased, and far more 'rigorous' discussion than today.  It was enjoyable and slightly daunting all at once - a good mix for such a forum. The people interested in music could have great insightful discussion, those interested in discussing life could do their thing...and not much politics as I recall thankfully (I can't stand that sh!t here let alone for other countries).

Then Gibson (unwittingly?) killed it off with a change in format to this version of the platform around 2016...it sputtered on for a while and then has been in death throws ever since.  Now its just a few old timers and a few who joined later and never saw what it was who hang in - most of us way less than ever we did. Seems in danger of an echo chamber where newcomers who get excited are warned off the lawn - please let it not become a bitter old men's home)...many great contributors have just up and left and I absolutely doubt it can or will ever be what it was - entertaining and a bit addictive - but hey, that's just the cycle of all things though. [smile]

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

careful what you wish for there doggie mate

I am obviously a new guy, and only came across this place while trying to do research/get correct info on my '83 Explorer. Gibson corporate refused to help, so I saw this place as a knowledge repository (old posts), and that would have a few real Gibson buffs to help me. Sadly I learned far less about my Explorer here than intended, but I have defiantly learned a lot of other great stuff. I've also been able to get to know some cool people like you, so that alone makes this place worth it for me. Since we both are getting to be "old farts" ourselves, we fit in here fine, if only because of our grey hair, wrinkles and....  ...why did I say "our grey hair and wrinkles"? I meant YOUR grey hair and...   I still look 20. lol jk

I hate that I wasn't able to experience this site when it rocked. I'm just trying to make what it is now a bit better. (This is the only "social media" I am on, so what do I know???

PS - My friends and family love that you folks down under know what Corn Dogs are! I read your post to some of them, and they liked what you guy's call them,  I nearly burst a gut when my daughter said, in her best Aussie accent, "A dingo took my Dagwood Dog."

A Dagwood in the US is a huge stacked cold cut sandwich, named after an old Comic Strip called Blondie, who's goofy husband named Dagwood routinely made/ate said sandwich, btw. 

Yeah mate, and you know, there will be people who were here in 2010 who will say it had weakened by 2013 so I would have been too late for those 'glory days' as well. How it goes...

Thing was, you'd look at page 2 in those days and there would still be topics being commented on during the current day - half the front page of the lounge would be new topics that day and in the old format you could actually see in real time, within the thread, who was on line (often say 7-8 people if it was hot) and who was typing replies (often 2-3)...that made for actual conversation rather than 'drop a comment and check back later'. This lounge (and the Epiphone lounge, which was also previously lively and then died completely for similar reasons) are the only - and likely will be last - such social media I'll be on either.

The ''careful what you wish for" is in relation to asking authorities for clarity on things they object to you doing - they might just get more creative and vigilant. [scared]

PS - yes! you're right, there was a Blondie comic here back in the day and Dagwood was a character - that must be it as its not a word I've ever seen anywhere in my life except the comic strip and the dog! Weird, but...

PPS - grey hair?? them's feudin words ([laugh])

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

PPS - grey hair?? them's feudin words ([laugh])

Guys from my Dad's side of the family tended to go grey in their mid 20's, (more white than grey.) Being a "man's man", I said I would never color my hair like they did. That until a woman at a Grocery store asked my 5 year old daughter if she was having a good time with her Grandpa. She was referring to me, and I was only 40. I went directly to the isle that had the men's shampoo that gradually makes hair dark brown again. I use it three times a week. Getting old sucks.

PS - my hillbilly family and I say, "Them's fightin' words", and over Yonder (a medium distance away, but close enough you could walk there) , and crick (creek/stream), and to this day, I say "Howdee" when someone says hello to me, and/or when I greet someone. You really may be my far away twin. What do Aussie's call folks like me, down there? (and don't say "Special, slow, challenged, etc.) My 101 year old great Aunt still says, "Well Bless your heart." when do/say something she thinks is unusual.  That saying has two primary meanings; 1. That person is mentally challenged  2. You're a b!tc# (for women) or You're an a-hole (for men).    (I still don't know which meaning she means when she says  it to me!)  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

What do Aussie's call folks like me, down there? 

I dunno, maybe a "fair dinkum sort of bloke" if they like you...

My hair is mostly behaving itself so far (touch wood) and I do use the Alpecin 'Tuning" shampoo - mainly for the word tuning as in guitar tuning...but maybe it helps. If my hair stays long and full I will likewise have no issue with using colour if and when it greys - if its ok for the girls... My late dad (bless his...[laugh]) was bald in his twenties so I am making a stand here dammit!

Anyhoo, its bedtime down in this corner of DVD region 4, so take care for now. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I haven't discussed it with anyone, but I'm sure that was part of the reason for closing the other thread, and for the warnings that were issued. 

Please remember that this is a Gibson forum. Music-related topics are the primary focus. 

This is a lounge area, where OT subjects are talked about. But under the forum rules, those OT discussions aren't allowed when they start veering into politics, religion, etc. And we definitely don't want to discuss conspiracy theories, tactical scenarios, or at-risk areas of our country, or anything else that could give bad people ideas—whether they've already thought of the idea or not. So please hold those types of discussions on whatever other websites you like that allow them there. 

And please leave the political comments out of the discussion too, folks.  

Remember guys Joe and Dump are a no.

Guitars hit with a rail road spike, and ones that have elbow macaroni hot glued to them are a yes.

Can we also stop with what does my serial number mean. Here is the answer = nothing. It’s a number. Are you also obsessed with your TV serial number or the one on your toaster?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Can we also stop with what does my serial number mean. Here is the answer = nothing. It’s a number. Are you also obsessed with your TV serial number or the one on your toaster?

Funny you should ask that. 

I have acquired a vintage Sunbeam toaster, and the serial number is 6341088. 

Does this mean it's a 1963 model, made on April 1st, or am I reading this wrong. 
The guy who sold it to me said that April 1963 Sunbeam toasters are very collectible. 
That's why I paid $1,800 for it. 

I hope I didn't get ripped off. 
🤨

654e15ae28a41cc0a77950abb579baa4.jpg&f=1

• Haha 2

"I've looked at clouds from both sides now..."

I felt strongly when I was younger (2 -3 years ago) here, that Mods should specify what post/language, etc. caused the deletion of a thread - precisely as Old Shep explained - so we can all learn from our mistakes.   Now I believe if that happened, the offenders, or their supporters would seize on the details to argue, and only escalate the pain.     Why has this forum gone down in 'popularity"  ?   An excellent question  I wish we had an insightful answer to, so we could get back to where we were.   My vote, is a little friction, humor makes it easier for us to also deal with the Serial Number and String Choice issues. 

2 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Does this mean it's a 1963 model, made on April 1st, or am I reading this wrong. 
The guy who sold it to me said that April 1963 Sunbeam toasters are very collectible. 

🤨

Those are notorious for needing crumb tray resets and not staying in tune.  You should have gotten  a Mexican made Tortilla Toaster. 

Edited by fortyearspickn
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Phil, I am not replying to agree or disagree with your statement. I simply wish to address the process utilized by the "powers that be" on this forum, specifically regarding the language contained with-in the violation notifications sent to those who have been deemed "in violation" of Forum policies.

In order to prevent future violations of Forum policies, by individuals who have been notified of an observed violation and/or other non policy violating Forum members who subsequently became aware of said "policy violation notification" sent to another forum member, it is incumbent upon Forum policy compliance staff to clearly and specifically detail, in writing, the exact language used by the offending Forum member that elicited  said notification, (including the specific Forum rules said language violated). Presumably, the purpose of a violation notification is to prevent future/further infractions/violations by the offender, as well as to dissuade other Forum members from violating Forum rules said in a similar fashion. Punishments/Punitive measures, regardless of the degree of severity, will not ever function as intended unless the individual(s) being punished fully understand  exactly why they are being punished. Punishment is simply a behavior modification tool. Yet, unless the behavior desired to be modified is specifically pointed out/identified, it is impossible for it to be modified. This lack of communication will result in confusion, anger, resentment, and diminished respect for authority, via the offender AND the Forum community writ-large. The "chilling" effect this user/staff communication issue has elicited on the open flow of ideas and information here, has become obvious. (to be clear, I am not insinuating that  you, Phil, or Ksdaddy are responsible or involved in this communications failure.)

The purpose of this Gibson Forum, the primary reason Gibson created it, is to sell Gibson Corporation products, The Forum has many, seemingly distinct and unrelated subsets, yet the ultimate goal of all of them is to increase sales. However, in order for this Forum to function as intended, it must FIRST maintain and grow membership. In order to maintain and grow membership, it's members must provide new and interesting content. The better the content, (content that is accurate, articulate, engaging, honest, knowledgeable,  and beneficial), the more Non members (future customers) will be drawn to the site. Any good business model depends on repeat buyers, but only because they are the best advertisers. First time buyers are the real target, since they are a larger untapped market segment. First time buyers become repeat buyers, and the cycle continues.  But if the Forum member knowledge base stop being "writers"/content creators, (because they leave due to inexplicable punishments based on the content they created with out malice, and/or they stop creating content because the Forum isn't fun anymore, etc.), the Forum looses the sales functionality Gibson designed it for. The "Powers that be" who police this Forum must focus on it's primary purpose whilst trying to maintain a PG-13 atmosphere.

The Gibson Lounge needs to be exactly as it's titled, A Lounge.  It needs to be a  place more social and conversational than the other specific sections of this site that focus on "Gibson acoustics", or "Epi's" or "Customs", etc.. Good content creators, (which is exactly what Gibson really wants you to be, for free), benefit by  back and forth dialogues  with their counterparts. All guitars and no play makes content creators dull. To me, the edict that all conversation in the Lounge need to be "Guitar related", is inappropriate. What about Basses, and Amps? What about music theory, recording, associated gear, etc.? How many "visitors" are drawn to this site due to a non-guitar related post, but then stay and browse and become customers after enjoying said content? The Gibson data guys can tell us, and those numbers really matter. Go and look at the real time list of people on this site, at any time of the day. It is always 95%+ visitors, who are reading posts created by a small percentage of actual  of members.  Before any Site Policy formal enforcement action is taken by Forum Staff, I recommend they access the Performance Analytics associated with the member in question. They know exactly how many "visitors" access this site via interest in specific content created by members. (the techs managing Gibson Forums are quite good at immediately linking member created content on popular web browser's 1st search result pages, with or without keywords added to member's posts). I would be careful admonishing a solid member who draws lots of views, for something trivial.  I personally have posted something that crossed the line, (innocently and without malice of forethought). I appreciated how the moderator (who saw my infraction) replied to me on the thread and informed me that I was breaking the rules and to please stop doing that. I deleted the offending post with-in 1 min, and apologized. Nothing formal was sent to me, nor did I get and warning points, although I deserved one! I learned a lesson, I was treated like an adult, and I responded like an adult. The only person I was upset with after that incident WAS ME, not the moderator who was doing his job. I have no doubt that had any member who used language that concerned the policy compliance staff been simply asked to edit their comment/reply to better fit the rules, they would have done so without question. "Just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down", so says the umbershoot lady. I also have no doubt that political bias and PC culture effects policy enforcement decisions on the Forum Staff side, as well.

I do feel it would be appropriate if we all had clarification as to what defines acceptable content in the Lounge regarding non-guitar related posts. Personally, I look forward to seeing what Murph's morning coffee inspires him to write about, guitar related or not. Sgt.'s posts about the oddities with-in the music industry's culture, or about his take on the day's events create user interaction. Sparq's posts questioning what an object he found laying in the road was, or about crafting ice cleats with tennis shoes and screws due to an ice storm in the South, were not guitar related but they were fun and interesting. These unique human perspective pieces keep me coming back, and they inspire me to write more content, (not sure if that's a good or bad thing?).  Unfortunately, I am now hesitant to create anymore content that is not "guitar related", and I guarantee I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I, and others, are also hesitant of posting any guitar related content because we don't know how reply to it,  might effect us. I recommend the head honcho of this site reach out to the Dir. of Marketing/Sales at Gibson Corporate, (with the user analytic data I mentioned, in hand), to clarify this site's mission and how best to keep it symbiotic and relevant.

There's my 2 cents.

Sheep....that was a heck of a lot more than 2 cents....more like a buck-50!

I agree with almost everything you stated, (heck....I don't agree with my wife 100% of the time...and we've been married 46 years!).

I think my post on Murph's thread could well be considered outside the rules....I'll accept that and move on....as I've said in the past... I come here for fun and relaxation....when this forum stops doing that for me, I'll go elsewhere.

I really like Murph, (both his songs, guitar playing and as a person), I think KS is a wonderful moderator....heck, I even like Phil.... he's the one who FINALLY fixed my account!   I enjoy and respect most of the members....I appreciate their opinions on things in the world and on music.  

I joined this forum in 2009, (I think), and also found it 'dipped' in the mid-teens...and is NOT as 'robust' as it was before.....but still enjoyable.

I think Cammo got butt-hurt and scolded Murph for making a thread he personally didn't like, and left another thread on the exact same subject, (still up)....then blamed BOTH of us for "Spamming".... you might not like what I said, and you might think Murph was wrong to start a post about something that had NOTHING to do with guitars/Gibson....but neither of us was "Spamming"!

I'll quit before this gets even longer....and my old eyes are having trouble reading what I wrote anyway!

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

🤨

It’s a Sunbeam. Good stuff. The heavy duty mixer that I have is a KitchenAid, but the Sunbeam ones are more futuristic looking.

I will post its serial number shortly and we can discuss if their is a 4 in the number string and what that secretly means.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

"I've looked at clouds from both sides now..."

I felt strongly when I was younger (2 -3 years ago) here, that Mods should specify what post/language, etc. caused the deletion of a thread - precisely as Old Shep explained - so we can all learn from our mistakes.   Now I believe if that happened, the offenders, or their supporters would seize on the details to argue, and only escalate the pain.     Why has this forum gone down in 'popularity"  ?   An excellent question  I wish we had an insightful answer to, so we could get back to where we were.   My vote, is a little friction, humor makes it easier for us to also deal with the Serial Number and String Choice issues. 

Those are notorious for needing crumb tray resets and not staying in tune.  You should have gotten  a Mexican made Tortilla Toaster. 

My all-time favorite is when people come here and ask what guitar they should buy? 

Well,it’s your money money obviously get the most expensive one with the most bling on it.

Look even the Disney channel has cuss words on it now. Mickey Mouse droppings F bombs.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

heck, I even like Phil.... he's the one who FINALLY fixed my account!

I am happy to hear Phil helped you out. I must have been off line and never read the posts in question. Right, wrong, or indifferent, my reply merely intended to encourage Gibson Forum staff members to provide specifics regarding posts/replies that result in violation notifications. (and to remind them of the true purpose of this site. (I'm waiting to be jammed up for my insolence!)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I am happy to hear Phil helped you out. I must have been off line and never read the posts in question. Right, wrong, or indifferent, my reply merely intended to encourage Gibson Forum staff members to provide specifics regarding posts/replies that result in violation notifications. (and to remind them of the true purpose of this site. (I'm waiting to be jammed up for my insolence!)

Sheep....well, I've had a burr up my behind about the jammed-up TSA lines ever since they were started, (I traveled a LOT for my job before I retired), and I mentioned that the ship hitting the Francis Scott Key bridge (the author of our National Anthem) is  EXACTLY how it was portrayed it a Net Flix movie produced by one of our ex-presidents.... same bridge even!   So.... I'll take my lumps....no big deal.   I've said a LOT  worse stuff on here before....(I mean not as bad a Sgt.....but still out of bounds!).

Edited by DanvillRob
  • Like 1

Is this supposed to be a family friendly forum? Well sure it is but any 10-year-old when their parents are gone within three clicks of a mouse, they can be on porn sites, and look at the median age of the mostly dudes here, we’re probably all in our 50s or older. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Sheep....well, I've had a burr up my behind about the jammed-up TSA lines ever since they were started, (I traveled a LOT for my job before I retired), and I mentioned that the ship hitting the Francis Scott Key bridge (the author of our National Anthem) is  EXACTLY how it was portrayed it a Net Flix movie produced by one of our ex-presidents.... same bridge even!   So.... I'll take my lumps....no big deal.   I've said a LOT  worse stuff on here before....(I mean not as bad a Sgt.....but still out of bounds!

So it wasn’t that John Phillips Sousa guy?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So it wasn’t that John Phillips Sousa guy?

Kinda looks like the guy from the Hotels.com advertisement....but that would require a commission and 2 promotions to "O-3"!

44 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Kinda looks like the guy from the Hotels.com advertisement....but that would require a commission and 2 promotions to "O-3"!

I do not miss saluting clowns just because they went to a military academy and earned a degree. I earned mine while I was in, but no one saluted me. When I was a chief and a senior chief, and I had to deal with Ensign’s (O-1), most of them were stupider than my E-3’s.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

Sheep....well, I've had a burr up my behind about the jammed-up TSA lines ever since they were started, (I traveled a LOT for my job before I retired), and I mentioned that the ship hitting the Francis Scott Key bridge (the author of our National Anthem) is  EXACTLY how it was portrayed it a Net Flix movie produced by one of our ex-presidents.... same bridge even!   So.... I'll take my lumps....no big deal.   I've said a LOT  worse stuff on here before....(I mean not as bad a Sgt.....but still out of bounds!

As a kid, I had a physically abusive mother. I got beat just because I was the person physically nearest to her when she went off. The beatings hurt far less than not understanding why I was being beat. However, I never took issue with punishments resulting from my misdeeds. 99.9% of forum members here are grown adults. Most of us take no issue from getting a slap on the wrist because of our actions we understand as being improper.  However, intelligent individuals take issue with punitive actions taken against us by individuals who fail to/refuse to clearly define our transgressions. I agree that recent events mirror "fictional" narratives. Interestingly, Phil's comments stated that, " we definitely don't want to discuss conspiracy theories, tactical scenarios, or at-risk areas of our country, or anything else that could give bad people ideas—whether they've already thought of the idea or not.", Yet isn't this exact what the writers and producers of the movie you referenced did? Just saying. 

Edited by Sheepdog1969
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

As a kid, I had a physically abusive mother. I got beat just because I was the person physically nearest to her when she went off. The beatings hurt far less than not understanding why I was being beat. However, I never took issue with punishments resulting from my misdeeds. 99.9% of forum members here are grown adults. Most of us take no issue from getting a slap on the wrist because of our actions we understand as being improper.  However, intelligent individuals take issue with punitive actions taken against us by individuals who fail to/refuse to clearly define our transgressions. I agree that recent events mirror "fictional" narratives. Interestingly, Phil's comments stated that, " we definitely don't want to discuss conspiracy theories, tactical scenarios, or at-risk areas of our country, or anything else that could give bad people ideas—whether they've already thought of the idea or not.", yet isn't this exact what the writers and producers of the movie you referenced did? Just saying. 

No terrorist is coming here to learn how to make a bomb or to discuss the existence of ET (he was cute alien). They’re coming here to find out about their guitar’s serial numbers, and what guitar picks, and what strings they should use on a J-45.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Guys from my Dad's side of the family tended to go grey in their mid 20's, (more white than grey.) Being a "man's man", I said I would never color my hair like they did. That until a woman at a Grocery store asked my 5 year old daughter if she was having a good time with her Grandpa. She was referring to me, and I was only 40. I went directly to the isle that had the men's shampoo that gradually makes hair dark brown again. I use it three times a week. Getting old sucks.

PS - my hillbilly family and I say, "Them's fightin' words", and over Yonder (a medium distance away, but close enough you could walk there) , and crick (creek/stream), and to this day, I say "Howdee" when someone says hello to me, and/or when I greet someone. You really may be my far away twin. What do Aussie's call folks like me, down there? (and don't say "Special, slow, challenged, etc.) My 101 year old great Aunt still says, "Well Bless your heart." when do/say something she thinks is unusual.  That saying has two primary meanings; 1. That person is mentally challenged  2. You're a b!tc# (for women) or You're an a-hole (for men).    (I still don't know which meaning she means when she says  it to me!)  

Question? Did the South ever rise again? Asking for a forum member who is shy.

Richmond a town so good the South burned it themselves during the last American soil fought War.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I do not miss saluting clowns just because they went to a military academy and earned a degree. I earned mine while I was in, but one and no one saluted me. When I was a chief and a senior chief, and I had to deal with Ensign’s (O-1), most of them were stupider than my E-3’s.

There's the old question.....Why do 2nd Lieutenants wear a gold bar?

So you can tell them apart from the Trainees!

2 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

There's the old question.....Why do 2nd Lieutenants wear a gold bar?

So you can tell them apart from the Trainees!

The Leatherman I carried in my pocket was more useful than the new Ensign’s that checked onboard.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The Leatherman I carried in my pocket was more useful than the new Ensign’s that checked onboard.

There are good ones....we had a 1st Lieutenant in 'Nam, (Jim Fitzpatrick)  was a GREAT guy.... kept me safe from the Quan Loi Base Commander (Full-Bird Colonel) when I got caught sliding our Captain's Jeep sideways with a bunch of guys I was taking out to the perimeter for guard duty one night....he told me the Colonel dressed him down pretty good....but I escaped any punishment.

Edited by DanvillRob
  • Like 1