Gibson Brands Forums

Cammo Warning?

Too bad I wasn't told WHAT I said that resulted in this warning!

The thread was taken down it seems, (or at least I can no longer access it.

Hi DanvillRob,
You have been warned by cammo for a comment made in a topic, Francis Scott Key Bridge Crashed By A Ship...

Reason: Spamming
Content: Francis Scott Key Bridge Crashed By A Ship...
Penalty:
  • Given 1 point which will never expire.

— Gibson Brands Forums

36 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Hi DanvillRob,
You have been warned by cammo for a comment made in a topic, Francis Scott Key Bridge Crashed By A Ship...

Penalty:

— Gibson Brands Forums

Join the club. I’ve had a few.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Hi DanvillRob,

Penalty:

— Gibson Brands Forums

I got one too.

Mine say's it's for "spamming" and to keep content guitar related.

I think we should have a better explanation if we're being penalized. How can we know how not to do it again.

I have no idea what I did wrong.

Where is ksDaddy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I got one too.

Mine say's it's for "spamming" and to keep content guitar related.

I think we should have a better explanation if we're being penalized. How can we know how not to do it again.

I have no idea what I did wrong.

Where is ksDaddy?

Ben, next time mention that one of the road workers had a Les in his  trunk!

23 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I guess if you open a thread on a bridge falling down, it had better be the London Bridge and played on a Gibson. 

Actually, it just depends on who you are.

The other thread is still active.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Spamming often refers to advertisement, but the term is more about the nature of how the messages are sent - it's a non-targeted approach where you spray as many inboxes as possible with the same message in the hopes that a few will land. 

On a web forum, it can mean posting the same comment over and over (not necessarily an advertisement).   In a chat, that might be referred to as "spamming the chat". 

Some web forums will notice a pattern of repeated messages and automatically perform actions on the account.  Maybe that's what happened. 

Wraith, none of those apply to either Murph or me!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I actually thought the offending comment was when I said something about my sphincter getting a work out whenever I crossed a bridge from now on!

Then, wouldn't you know..... ABC News publishes a story that only 36% of the Bay Area bridges are rated as in "Good Condition"!

https://local.newsbreak.com/california-state/3383667284103-how-strong-are-bay-area-bridges-heres-what-abc7-i-team-uncovered?s=dmg_local_email_bucket_4.web2_fromweb

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rct said:

The thread had the current president and how terrorists should attack a bridge and you guys can't figure that out?

rct

Many think the terrorist already figured it out!

Isn't it strange that this is almost the EXACT scenario described in the Obama produced film, "Leave The World Behind"?  Even the same bridge!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Murph said:

I think it’s not who you are, but it’s what you post.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

If a bad person wants to do something bad, they will find a way, they will not come to a guitar forum, and read a post by a guy from California to find out what steps they need to take.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If a bad person wants to do something bad, they will find a way, they will not come to a guitar forum, and read a post by a guy from California to find out what steps they need to take.

An OLD GUY, besides!

On 3/28/2024 at 8:07 AM, rct said:

The thread had the current president and how terrorists should attack a bridge and you guys can't figure that out?

rct

I haven't discussed it with anyone, but I'm sure that was part of the reason for closing the other thread, and for the warnings that were issued. 

Please remember that this is a Gibson forum. Music-related topics are the primary focus. 

This is a lounge area, where OT subjects are talked about. But under the forum rules, those OT discussions aren't allowed when they start veering into politics, religion, etc. And we definitely don't want to discuss conspiracy theories, tactical scenarios, or at-risk areas of our country, or anything else that could give bad people ideas—whether they've already thought of the idea or not. So please hold those types of discussions on whatever other websites you like that allow them there. 

And please leave the political comments out of the discussion too, folks.  

4 hours ago, Phil OKeefe said:

I haven't discussed it with anyone, but I'm sure that was part of the reason for closing the other thread, and for the warnings that were issued. 

Please remember that this is a Gibson forum. Music-related topics are the primary focus. 

This is a lounge area, where OT subjects are talked about. But under the forum rules, those OT discussions aren't allowed when they start veering into politics, religion, etc. And we definitely don't want to discuss conspiracy theories, tactical scenarios, or at-risk areas of our country, or anything else that could give bad people ideas—whether they've already thought of the idea or not. So please hold those types of discussions on whatever other websites you like that allow them there. 

And please leave the political comments out of the discussion too, folks.  

Phil, I am not replying to agree or disagree with your statement. I simply wish to address the process utilized by the "powers that be" on this forum, specifically regarding the language contained with-in the violation notifications sent to those who have been deemed "in violation" of Forum policies.

In order to prevent future violations of Forum policies, by individuals who have been notified of an observed violation and/or other non policy violating Forum members who subsequently became aware of said "policy violation notification" sent to another forum member, it is incumbent upon Forum policy compliance staff to clearly and specifically detail, in writing, the exact language used by the offending Forum member that elicited  said notification, (including the specific Forum rules said language violated). Presumably, the purpose of a violation notification is to prevent future/further infractions/violations by the offender, as well as to dissuade other Forum members from violating Forum rules said in a similar fashion. Punishments/Punitive measures, regardless of the degree of severity, will not ever function as intended unless the individual(s) being punished fully understand  exactly why they are being punished. Punishment is simply a behavior modification tool. Yet, unless the behavior desired to be modified is specifically pointed out/identified, it is impossible for it to be modified. This lack of communication will result in confusion, anger, resentment, and diminished respect for authority, via the offender AND the Forum community writ-large. The "chilling" effect this user/staff communication issue has elicited on the open flow of ideas and information here, has become obvious. (to be clear, I am not insinuating that  you, Phil, or Ksdaddy are responsible or involved in this communications failure.)

The purpose of this Gibson Forum, the primary reason Gibson created it, is to sell Gibson Corporation products, The Forum has many, seemingly distinct and unrelated subsets, yet the ultimate goal of all of them is to increase sales. However, in order for this Forum to function as intended, it must FIRST maintain and grow membership. In order to maintain and grow membership, it's members must provide new and interesting content. The better the content, (content that is accurate, articulate, engaging, honest, knowledgeable,  and beneficial), the more Non members (future customers) will be drawn to the site. Any good business model depends on repeat buyers, but only because they are the best advertisers. First time buyers are the real target, since they are a larger untapped market segment. First time buyers become repeat buyers, and the cycle continues.  But if the Forum member knowledge base stop being "writers"/content creators, (because they leave due to inexplicable punishments based on the content they created with out malice, and/or they stop creating content because the Forum isn't fun anymore, etc.), the Forum looses the sales functionality Gibson designed it for. The "Powers that be" who police this Forum must focus on it's primary purpose whilst trying to maintain a PG-13 atmosphere.

The Gibson Lounge needs to be exactly as it's titled, A Lounge.  It needs to be a  place more social and conversational than the other specific sections of this site that focus on "Gibson acoustics", or "Epi's" or "Customs", etc.. Good content creators, (which is exactly what Gibson really wants you to be, for free), benefit by  back and forth dialogues  with their counterparts. All guitars and no play makes content creators dull. To me, the edict that all conversation in the Lounge need to be "Guitar related", is inappropriate. What about Basses, and Amps? What about music theory, recording, associated gear, etc.? How many "visitors" are drawn to this site due to a non-guitar related post, but then stay and browse and become customers after enjoying said content? The Gibson data guys can tell us, and those numbers really matter. Go and look at the real time list of people on this site, at any time of the day. It is always 95%+ visitors, who are reading posts created by a small percentage of actual  of members.  Before any Site Policy formal enforcement action is taken by Forum Staff, I recommend they access the Performance Analytics associated with the member in question. They know exactly how many "visitors" access this site via interest in specific content created by members. (the techs managing Gibson Forums are quite good at immediately linking member created content on popular web browser's 1st search result pages, with or without keywords added to member's posts). I would be careful admonishing a solid member who draws lots of views, for something trivial.  I personally have posted something that crossed the line, (innocently and without malice of forethought). I appreciated how the moderator (who saw my infraction) replied to me on the thread and informed me that I was breaking the rules and to please stop doing that. I deleted the offending post with-in 1 min, and apologized. Nothing formal was sent to me, nor did I get and warning points, although I deserved one! I learned a lesson, I was treated like an adult, and I responded like an adult. The only person I was upset with after that incident WAS ME, not the moderator who was doing his job. I have no doubt that had any member who used language that concerned the policy compliance staff been simply asked to edit their comment/reply to better fit the rules, they would have done so without question. "Just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down", so says the umbershoot lady. I also have no doubt that political bias and PC culture effects policy enforcement decisions on the Forum Staff side, as well.

I do feel it would be appropriate if we all had clarification as to what defines acceptable content in the Lounge regarding non-guitar related posts. Personally, I look forward to seeing what Murph's morning coffee inspires him to write about, guitar related or not. Sgt.'s posts about the oddities with-in the music industry's culture, or about his take on the day's events create user interaction. Sparq's posts questioning what an object he found laying in the road was, or about crafting ice cleats with tennis shoes and screws due to an ice storm in the South, were not guitar related but they were fun and interesting. These unique human perspective pieces keep me coming back, and they inspire me to write more content, (not sure if that's a good or bad thing?).  Unfortunately, I am now hesitant to create anymore content that is not "guitar related", and I guarantee I'm not the only one who feels this way.  I, and others, are also hesitant of posting any guitar related content because we don't know how reply to it,  might effect us. I recommend the head honcho of this site reach out to the Dir. of Marketing/Sales at Gibson Corporate, (with the user analytic data I mentioned, in hand), to clarify this site's mission and how best to keep it symbiotic and relevant.

There's my 2 cents.

• Upvote 1