Gibson Brands Forums

Humble Pie

Love H P. Rockin the Fillmore is essential. I have the complete recordings. 4 disc set. Hard to believe that voice came out of a guy who was 4 foot 3 inches tall.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

27 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Awesome - my favourite of theirs.

Steve Marriott, Bon Scott, Paul Rodgers - ROCK voices defined ! [thumbup]

Those 3 when they sing you know it’s them. 

35 minutes ago, Karloff said:

One of my favorites 

4 Day Creep is killer.

The Small Faces - Ogden’s Nut Gone Flake is great, but side 2 is unusual. The guy talking to the fly, and looking for the missing half of the moon. Sounds like what Zappa would write about, not The Small Faces.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

It's funny how a youtube algorithm sends a bunch of musicians or musically inclined folks a video like this.  My wife and I were both watching this video yesterday morning, which is something that totally surprised me that she would want to watch, but she did and was quite into it.

I got to see Humble Pie a long time ago at the Long Beach Arena in California.  They opened for Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush.  What a concert, right!

Frampton had left the band by then, but it still was an amazing show.

I've always loved Humble Pie and as I said earlier, seeing that video yesterday was cool.  The backup singers and Steve Marriott's interaction with them was great.  When I said Peter Frampton was in the band, my wife picked him out immediately.  So she got a thrill out of it too.

Thanks for posting.

There just isn’t music being make like this anymore. Once, and I’ll use the term loosely, singers, started yelling into a mic to a backing track or DJ, music started to really go down hill. Yeah then we had Nirvana to save us, well no they didn’t. I couldn’t stand their music, but how long are you gonna maintain when you’re a dumb junkie?

I saw a Rick Beato video last week that indicated that the following bands will still be played in the year 2021; based on Spotify spins:

Nirvana

Queen

The Police

The Beatles

I wouldn't count Nirvana as a Joke as they seem to have the staying power (at least on Spotify) than other bands like Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd and the Who.  And I should add that other '90s bands, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, or bands like the Foo Fighters (Dave Growl) do not even come close to what Nirvana was able to do in it's short-lived existence.

I agree that many bands do not possess the ability to perform like Humble Pie did.  The closest I've seen was the Black Crowes and those performances were few and far between because of extenuating circumstances. 

Edited by Californiaman

3 hours ago, Californiaman said:

I saw a Rick Beato video last week that indicated that the following bands will still be played in the year 2021; based on Spotify spins:

Nirvana

Queen

The Police

The Beatles

I wouldn't count Nirvana as a Joke as they seem to have the staying power (at least on Spotify) than other bands like Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd and the Who.  And I should add that other '90s bands, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, Alice in Chains, or bands like the Foo Fighters (Dave Growl) do not even come close to what Nirvana was able to do in it's short-lived existence.

Of the Grunge ones AIC is all I can take.  Soundgarden - Loud Love by them is the only one I Iisten too. Not sure if that is Grunge as it predates their big albums. Nirvana never struck a chord with me.  Foo is just Poo, IMHO. Every thing I hear from them sounds the same, maybe that’s every band tho.

Its now 2024.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

20 minutes ago, Californiaman said:

Yeah I see that now.

I meant 2100. Not sure what I was thinking (takes another sip of coffee and looks up at the Arsenal vs. Aston Villa match).

Soccer is hockey, just on grass without ice or skates or sticks or gloves or a puck. 

39 minutes ago, Californiaman said:

Yeah I see that now.

I meant 2100. Not sure what I was thinking (takes another sip of coffee and looks up at the Arsenal vs. Aston Villa match).

Californiaman,

Oh.

Tell you what. In 2100, when I get home from playing hockey, I'll turn on the radio, and let you know what songs they were playing, and we'll see if you were right.

Talk to you then.

RBSinTo

15 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Californiaman,

Oh.

Tell you what. In 2100, when I get home from playing hockey, I'll turn on the radio, and let you know what songs they were playing, and we'll see if you were right.

Talk to you then.

RBSinTo

Rick knows, he does have his own sig guitars.

Good music never goes out of style, wheather it’s Bach, Mozart, The Beatles, Zappa, or Sinatra. Rick is so smart. I wonder if in any city in the US over the weekend a symphony was performed that Beethoven wrote? Those are a few hundred years old. And Gregorian Chants, forget about it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Its kind of hard to call.

Either by 2100, the true meaning of the messaging hidden within this song will be understood (though still robustly debated among rival theologians) and this will provide the keystone knowledge leading to subsequent decoding of the entirety of Trout Mask Replica such that true believers will be provided extraterrestrial guidance to enlightenment across all lifeforms,... or else this chance will have been missed and basically "our" music will simply be considered a quaint and naive era outside of a few enthusiasts of the "analogue age".  Perhaps.

herein lie the answers for those with the mind to seek:

After Smokin’, Pie made a few albums that were just okay. Thunderbox and Eat It were so so. After that the went down hill fast.

Sadly Steve fell asleep smoking a cigarette and died in a house fire.