Gibson Brands Forums

D-D-Day

E-minor7

As we know the Doves are pretty rare fliers living in an altitude of their own  - and as we also know they are mighty fine guitars, , , not least as recorders.. 

It's good to celebrate the classic 62 once in while. So now now is now, , , and the remarkable difference makes this film special. Check the Quinton & Paul testers doin' their thing. 

And enjoy

Apart from that they don't seem to answer the headline Q - well, , , never mind. . . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

As we know the Doves are pretty rare fliers living in an altitude of their own  - and as we also know they are mighty fine guitars, , , not least as recorders.. 

It's good to celebrate the classic 62 once in while. So now now is now, , , and the remarkable difference makes this film special. Check the Quinton & Paul testers doin' their thing. 

And enjoy

Apart from that they don't seem to answer the headline Q - well, , , never mind. . . 

Closest I ever got to one was it was locked up in the special glass case at a Guitar Center I was in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

The Dove is a beast.  Far more guitar than it’s name suggest.

Absolutely yes - but it's no hawk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Absolutely yes - but it's no hawk. 

Pigeon?

• Like 1

Ive played exactly one dove. I remember enjoying a warm mellow tone, but not being blown away? Poor memory maybe. I do remember the back looked stunning, but in general I think I preferred the Birds that day.

i think it was at Matt Umanov’s shop on Bleecker, and it was a 2001.

anyways this video, I always love the Quentin and Paul demo videos. He tends to strum a fair bit, which is not unlike how many of us play. I get more out of their videos in terms of guitar analysis than I do, say… Carl Miner’s. And NO DOUBT Carl’s play is more beautiful and stunning,

Edited by MorristownSal
  • Like 1

While over the decades I have gotten my hands on pretty much everything from at least early-1960s Epi Frontier on I have never been able to make peace with for lack of a better description Gibson Dreads.  Although I make no claims to having dog hearing, I think the reason is precisely what others love about them which is they are voiced more to the upper end than their slope shoulder kin.  Then again, I could be on puppy chow.

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

Frankly, Quinton scares me just a little bit. Maybe if he did a few less sets of curls before the shoot. But the chemistry between he and Paul would still strike me as curious.

The bass that Quint was hearing on the natural-topped Dove was lost on me. At t=:18 , the cherry Dove was warm and up front. At t= :39 , the natural-topped Dove hits the same shape but not so much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I think the reason is precisely what others love about them which is they are voiced more to the upper end than their slope shoulder kin.  Then again, I could be on puppy chow.

With all deference to possible influence of the puppy chow, there might be a jump-ball situation to decide which had more influence- voicing due to bracing, or merely the shape of the big square-shouldered box when coupled with the longer scaled Gibson acoustic.

As far as why, after all the Gibson acoustics I've been through, I've never owned a Dove- I don't know if it's the hyper-red cherry burst most seen on the Doves , or the design of the Bridge-too-Far bridges they come with. . . just can't quite put my finger on it.   .   .   .

fWl1YS3.jpg

Edited by 62burst
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

I wasn’t going to say it 😄 I did go in and visit with my DIF after reading this thread yesterday

If you have a DIF, you probably don't look at or yearn for a Dove.

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have never played a maple guitar. Tone is almost impossible to describe in words, especially for a non-native English speaker, but to me maple guitars have a  low fidelity ”sad” and ”lonely” sound. At least, that is the character of the tone I hear in this video and others too. Does that makes any sense at all? I think maple would be great for introspective, singer-songwriter stuff. Come to think of it, didn't Townes van Zandt play a blonde maple Jumbo in his late career?

Lars

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MorristownSal said:

Brown Dove In Flight. whoa.

It’s an Autumn burst.   2017. The color is a little softer than the pic, more auburn lightening to honey brown.  Not as bright like cherry, but reddish warm undertones in the brown. Real pretty.  According to the Gibson CS rep, it was a small run for Sam Ash, Hollywood.  

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 11:04 AM, MorristownSal said:

Ive played exactly one dove. I remember enjoying a warm mellow tone, but not being blown away?

Recall recommending the Dove in the phase where you realized Hummingbirds probably weren't goin' to be your ticket.                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Never really heard response - the Umanov-incident may have played in. It's hereby drawn back - you are too far and happy down another path. . 

On 4/17/2024 at 3:16 PM, zombywoof said:

While over the decades I have gotten my hands on pretty much everything from at least early-1960s Epi Frontier on I have never been able to make peace with for lack of a better description Gibson Dreads.  Although I make no claims to having dog hearing, I think the reason is precisely what others love about them which is they are voiced more to the upper end than their slope shoulder kin.  Then again, I could be on puppy chow.

Have to agree - there is a delicate/thin/clear/tinny high end to most square Gibsons, which in my ears calls for that half step down. However I believe there is a chance the Bird and the Dove arrives there via half-different stairs - maple bein' one key factor of course. That's also why the thin high ends reached are related yet not all similar. 

And yes - the 45/50 seem to steer free of this challenge - the horse simply having too much ground-contact. 

On 4/18/2024 at 12:01 AM, 62burst said:

Frankly, Quinton scares me just a little bit. Maybe if he did a few less sets of curls before the shoot. But the chemistry between he and Paul would still strike me as curious.

The bass that Quint was hearing on the natural-topped Dove was lost on me. At t=:18 , the cherry Dove was warm and up front. At t= :39 , the natural-topped Dove hits the same shape but not so much.

Hahe, ,  the guys aren't dangerous as long as we don't cross the line. Hope that's not done by calling them a crypto-comedy-duo.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   In that case I better walk carefully now - done that several times and really like them. .  

Quite a surprise you didn't get the blonde bass - it was SO obvious in these cans and without a doubt made me prefer that one.                                                                                                                                                                                                      Still - let the 2 guitars break in and we'll see. Both of them will probably end up amazing. Natural for acoustic jams - orange for studio sessions. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 2:35 AM, PrairieDog said:

I wasn’t going to say it 😄 I did go in and visit with my DIF after reading this thread yesterday

jNmdCpg.jpg

Impressing all the way - suits them to dive brown. Not quite so 'loud'.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               How I'd like to compare it to my, , , , not Dove, but (blonde) Firebird.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

I’ve seen blinged out guitars, D45s, and crazy done up J200s. But Prairie… your guitar is the most perfect blinged aesthetic I’ve seen by any maker. All time. Cherish that…

Gee, thanks for saying that.  High praise indeed.  I wish I could say it was the result of a long, arduous epic quest, but it literally fell out of the heavens  right when I started playing again and about a week after I bought my first new  J45 Studio. The Studio, for being a blind, clueless, impulsive purchase at GC, I lucked out and is a super decent player.  

I saw the DIF model when I was researching Gibsons after I got home with the Studio, (I had no idea what I bought) and thought well, gosh, that was “a dream guitar, maybe someday.”  Idly checked if one was available, just to see what they cost, but nothing was available in the market, plus oof, the previous sold prices! Poked around for a few days, then  gave up,  figuring it would happen someday maybe. Then about a week later tried again for the fun of it, and this one popped up.

I guess  I was on the phone within minutes of Carter posting it. That’s a whole ‘nother embarrassing newbie story, chuckle. Suffice it to say, Carter is all class and incredibly patient.  I didn’t even realize it was a little different when I bought it.  🙄 I am amazed by it everyday.  I am striving to again become the player it deserves. 

• Like 1

Apropos flaming Doves goin' to quilt - here's my Firebird, , , 

, , , in the company of the new 2020 ES-335

which Santa most fortunately brought just before X-mas.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

Sweetly done and meditative EM.

I have a Heritage 535, and my son has a blonde Gibson ES 335. I recognize the tone. I love mine with a little compression.

Thanx Sal ^ as you may know a 335 isn't just a 335, so much depends on the pick-ups, which (if not modified) means year.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            What's the name'n'date, , , ond colour of your electric voice ?

Mine is a grown-up-tobacco-58-burst - like it a lot.

• Like 1