Gibson Brands Forums

Beginning my search for an acoustic that is a pleasure to play

Ok so I did read your reply about your budget. 

You seem to be open minded with a great budget. 

I have played a lot of acoustics....Yamaha, Cole Clark, Seagull, Gibson, Martins, Guilds.....you get the idea. 

So with that said....I am primarily an electric player. So I guess I am spoiled a bit on how I like 9 gauge strings and low action. 

However......I am going to yap a little more about Taylor's....and I am not bashing any of the other good brands....these are just my 2 cents. 

Here is my current acoustic guitars. I have a 2003 Taylor Dreadnought 810ce and about a week or so ago I bought one of their new Koa 700 series which is the 724ce. It is a grand auditorium body size. 

I find Taylor's neck to be more like an electric guitar to me. I use 11-53 or so acoustic strings. 

The dread being a bit bigger makes it a little tougher for me to see over the fretboard as easy as I can do with my new Koa 724ce. 

They both sound different but the way I have them set up, they both play similar with my new Koa being the better of the 2. 

I do not know how much more I can say about how well a Taylor plays....to me anyway. 

And as far as raising and lowering the strings on a Taylor....it is a matter of adjusting the truss rod a bit to bring it around to your liking for the most part. That's all that I have had to do on my new one.  My 810ce I did shave the saddle down a bit and everything worked out great. 

I believe you get a little more for the money as far as the bling factor goes with a Taylor as well compared to Gibson and Martin.....Inlays, binding, etc. 

My previous other 2 Taylor's were a GS-6 which is no longer made and the 214ce which is still in production and a very popular model.

And do not be afraid of getting a well kep t pre owned one either. 

I would suggest going to a reputable dealer and try several different brands. 

TN5ijDT.jpeg6NhrKYi.jpeg

• Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Thanks! Since dreadnoughts might be too big for my needs, what model number/style of Gibson acoustic should I be looking into? 

No clue. I’m a Martin guy.

1 hour ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Thanks! Since dreadnoughts might be too big for my needs, what model number/style of Gibson acoustic should I be looking into? 

The neck is probably the next thing to consider. I dislike V necks and baseball bat necks. Your results may vary.

• Thanks 1

Just my opinion, as long as there is not a neck angle or truss rod issue, any guitar can be setup to your liking. As some other considerations (some already mentioned), neck shape, nut width, string spacing at the bridge, string tension (scale length and string choice), tone woods, bracing, body style and probably a few things I forgot, all go into the equation. I've setup some very inexpensive guitars for friends with them saying it was the best guitar they've ever played. Gibson-wise, if the J45 (Gibson's dread) is too large they are many models to start stepping down. The G series is still 16" wide but thinner as is the J180 body. Then the J165 body, L00, LG and so on. Many models in that mix. I have a wide range of models from the Super 400 to the LG. The L00 seems to work the best for me comfort-wise.

"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

Just my opinion, as long as there is not a neck angle or truss rod issue, any guitar can be setup to your liking. As some other considerations (some already mentioned), neck shape, nut width, string spacing at the bridge, string tension (scale length and string choice), tone woods, bracing, body style and probably a few things I forgot, all go into the equation. I've setup some very inexpensive guitars for friends with them saying it was the best guitar they've ever played. Gibson-wise, if the J45 (Gibson's dread) is too large they are many models to start stepping down. The G series is still 16" wide but thinner as is the J180 body. Then the J165 body, L00, LG and so on. Many models in that mix. I have a wide range of models from the Super 400 to the LG. The L00 seems to work the best for me comfort-wise.

"

Can you give me  ball park price range for the Gibson L00? (obviously not holding you to actual purchase price).  I think the shorter scale Gibsons may be a great place to start for me. (amongst a few other acoustic makers) 

I’ve been looking at getting another Acoustic. I’m pretty familiar with most makes & most price ranges.. For my preference I’ve narrowed it down to Gibson, Martin or Guild.. A Dreadnought 6 string.. A D-28 is one of them that’s high on my list..

I’ve been to quite a few Stores & have played several. They’re all great! Recently I went to a Recording Session at a friends house.. He has a really nice Collection of Guitars too.. He had just got a D-28.. I tried it out & was so impressed. It sounded great & played like buttah! It played easier than any of the D-28’s I’ve tried.. I asked him what he did.. He took it to the same Luthier that Sets up all my Electric Guitars.. He did the usual Truss Rod adjustment.. He also removed the Shim Martin puts under the Saddle, filed the Nut Slots to perfection & Dressed the Frets.. Lubricated & tightened the Tuners as well.. As well as a quality new Set of Strings.. 11’s or 12’s… My friend said he told our Luthier to take his time & get it the way he’d want it.. It took a couple weeks..

I am pretty good at doing Set ups & do a lot of my own if I have the time.. But, when I get my next Acoustic it will go to my Luthier.. Moral of the story, don’t underestimate a great Set up.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Can you give me  ball park price range for the Gibson L00? (obviously not holding you to actual purchase price).  I think the shorter scale Gibsons may be a great place to start for me. (amongst a few other acoustic makers) 

I’m sure Dave could give you a ball park, but any new one would be in your price range.   Google is your friend here.  Gibson, and everyone else, posts prices on their sites.  check Reverb’s  “sold” section to see what things went for.  However, there are lots of smaller body guitars out there.  

I’ll hammer it too: the only answer is go to a store and play.  Nobody here can tell you what you should buy.  It’s like buying jeans. You gotta try em on.  

Don’t get hung up on a brand at this point.  Like we’ve said, there’s more to it than just who built it. The combinations of woods, necks, and constructions make the sound and feel of each one. Acoustics are unique to each instrument more than electrics, even within the same model.  

I have four different brands, new and used, and to be honest, although they are my favorite sounding guitars, my Gibsons, with a choice of necks and nuts, are the toughest *for me* to play.  Even my DIF which plays like butter when I get it in my fingers, initially takes a bit of work and warming up and adjusting when I start in.  

If my hands are just sore or tired, I’ll grab one of the Taylors. I second everything that Big Tim said about them.  A lot of electric players I know have them.  Their necks really do work for most.  It’s part of their “thing.”   With your budget you’d have your pick.

Thinking through what you are asking for: a playable,  inexpensive, small body, well-voiced guitar, one of their GS Mini’s might be worth a look.   You can pick one up new for as little as 500 bucks, a sixth of a new L-00, so no worries about taking it to the campfire.  Add 100.00 and you get electronics.  Used, they are even cheaper. We got our 2012 Sitka/Sapele with a pickup for 350. Plus it had the benefit of being well opened up. It holds its own playing with our 1910 Gibson L1.  

Don’t forget, most retail shops give a return period.  It can take a bit of time to decide with an acoustic.  Much as GC gets snooted on their 45 days, no questions asked, is a real perk.  

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Used - I've noticed the L00 does not hold its value very well probably due to popularity. The Standard models can be had every day for under $1600.

Their current line up is fairly limited. Bang for the buck looks to be the G-00. They're all short scale. If you search you can find some special runs out there.

A good dealer should give you 15%-20% off except on the G series.

G-00 - Natural $999.00 - Spruce over walnut, Advanced Response neck shape, no electronics, plug up the port hole if you don't like it.

L-00 Standard - Vintage Sunburst or Ebony - $2,999.00 - Spruce over mahogany, slim taper neck, LR Baggs VTC

L-00 Deluxe - Rosewood Burst  $3,999.00- Spruce over rosewood, slim taper neck, LR Baggs VTC, extra bling

The ones I have -

L00 1932 RI - Similar to the Legend model without the VOS finish. Spruce over mahogany, V neck, long scale, wide bridge string spacing

51959290058_3d61ce0837_z.jpg

Nick Lucas Mystic Rosewood - 12 fret, deep body, standard C neck, short scale

49632879356_6802667b3c_z.jpg

Genuine Mahogany L00, 14 fret, Mahogany over Mahogany

s-l1600 (1)

M2M L00, Aged Spruce over rosewood, short scale, slim taper neck.

51899179742_41ac2543cf_z.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1