Gibson Brands Forums

TS New Album Outsells The New Grateful Dead Record

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw him right after a rehab. They were really good that night.

yep. I caught a couple shows while he was clean. was night & day. on the flip side of that was down front against the fence / stage in early 80's at Hampton Coliseum, right in front of Garcia. he looked awful. sweating profusely, looked in pain hardly opened his eyes. I expected to see his drop over at any moment. 

Poor Bob Hunter. This was as close as he got to TS

Being in a mellow mood I went to see Marie
She was sitting on the swing with my good friend McGee
McGee said: Don't get hot and bent, it's plain for all to see
If it ain't twenty others, hell, it might as well be me

And that made me mad
Well, that made me mad
It made me so damned mad
It made me crazy

from MAD by R. Hunter

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Poor Bob Hunter. This was as close as he got to TS

Being in a mellow mood I went to see Marie
She was sitting on the swing with my good friend McGee
McGee said: Don't get hot and bent, it's plain for all to see
If it ain't twenty others, hell, it might as well be me

And that made me mad
Well, that made me mad
It made me so damned mad
It made me crazy

from MAD by R. Hunter

I love that album

"Tales of the Great Rum Runners"

One of my favorites 

Edited by Karloff
  • Thanks 1

Hunter and Garcia were just big teddy bear’s that played guitar and gobbled LSD. Nice girls like Taylor don’t do stuff like that. They have sex with men for song fodder.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, duane v said:

Even on Jerry's best day he couldn't touch this performance...... IMO....

That is to just Pop Music, no more no less. It interests me not at all. But hey it’s easy to listen to and is non threatening. Jerry played guitar, banjo and pedal steel, all with proficiency when alive, and sang (not well though). Hunter wrote the lyrics. Jerry got co-credit, but I’m not sure how much he actually wrote.  Same with Weir, he wrote with Lou Barlow. 

And sales or now Spotify plays mean nothing. Sales never proved good or bad a band was, just that people bought their music. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Sales proves everything..... Especially if it sells year after year.

What I'm learning in my older age is people in my age group either forgot how to listen or have become that chappy old person we used to make fun of when I was in my 20's.

what's that song...... 

"what a drag it is getting old"

48 minutes ago, duane v said:

Sales proves everything..... Especially if it sells year after year.

What I'm learning in my older age is people in my age group either forgot how to listen or have become that chappy old person we used to make fun of when I was in my 20's.

what's that song...... 

"what a drag it is getting old"

I wonder if Mick sings that ironically now?  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

I wonder if Mick sings that ironically now?  

Now that's funny 

But for me I find it difficult jamming with guys my age or older as they only want to play songs that are in their genre that have been played on the radio a million times. Hate anything that's new even if they have never given it a good listen.

I find I have my best jam sessions with younger musicians..... They don't have the need to play at 100 decibels, younger drummers don't mind playing electronic kits and play to click tracks..... For me tons more refreshing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duane v said:

Now that's funny 

But for me I find it difficult jamming with guys my age or older as they only want to play songs that are in their genre that have been played on the radio a million times. Hate anything that's new even if they have never given it a good listen.

I find I have my best jam sessions with younger musicians..... They don't have the need to play at 100 decibels, younger drummers don't mind playing electronic kits and play to click tracks..... For me tons more refreshing.

You forgot the fact that the guys our age only want to play songs from back then and they want to play them just as wrong as they did when we were in high school and they won't be told otherwise.

rct

6 minutes ago, rct said:

You forgot the fact that the guys our age only want to play songs from back then and they want to play them just as wrong as they did when we were in high school and they won't be told otherwise.

rct

I never play any cover tune right nor do I try.  I just like trying new **** half the time when I'm jamming. 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, duane v said:

Now that's funny 

I’m finding I’d like to go back and do it all over again now that I’m more far more egalitarian in my tastes.  I find I’m playing the  “old” roots and Americana stuff that my gang I derided and sneered at when we were 20-something thrashers. And I’m pining for all the great shows and poets I missed, like Dylan, or Leonard Cohen, or the warm-up bands I ignored, waiting for the “star” act to get on stage.  Of course we didn’t see it at the time, but we were such effing pompous snarks.   

Edited by PrairieDog

Posted (edited)

You guys are hitting a lot of similar chords for me. I am up playing rock, southern rock and that got me into Blues. We too were quite snobbish and would ignore the poppy stuff we didn't like. All these years later I still play in a band with two of my high school classmates. We graduated together in 1976. As I got into 40's I started playing more acoustic and did lots of solo acoustic side gigs. Around 2002 I heard the Norah Jones song I Don't Know Why and something about it struck me. Here was a piano song, sung by a woman that just hit me, and I decided I wanted to learn it. It is in B flat with a descending scale of chords that are quite complicated and not normal for guitar. In order to play it with open chords I transcribed it to the key of A and came up with a finger style progression that was complimentary to the piano runs. I got the vocals down and made it into my own song, similar but also very different than the original. Next up was the album's title track, Come Away With Me, and I did the same thing. I realized that there was a whole new world of music out there that was damn good that I had been ignoring and I got on this kick of taking songs done by women and adding them to my set list. I learned Bonny's version of John Prime's Angel From Montgomery, Anna Nalick's Wreck of the Day, Susan Tedeschi's version of Dylan's Don't Think Twice It's Alright, Sean Colvin's version of Gnarls Barkley's Crazy, etc. I also heard Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and learned that and made an arrangement that was mine. 

I find it very fulfilling and also lament that I didn't catch on earlier. It has opened a lot of doors in my music life and most importantly, more audience appreciation. I also feel that singing songs usually done by women has improved my vocal chops as well. I still like to jam out and and wail 20 minute Allman Bros. tunes but now have a balance and maybe playing more things others recognize and can appreciate. Not into Taylor to the point of wanting to learn any of her songs, but I can appreciate her tremendous talent just as I can appreciate the talents of Jerry, Bob and the rest of the guys, even John Mayer.

Edited by JO'C
fixed typo
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JO'C said:

You guys are hitting a lot of similar chords for me. I are up playing rock, southern rock and that got me into Blues. We too were quite snobbish and would ignore the poppy stuff we didn't like. All these years later I still play in a band with two of my high school classmates. We graduated together in 1976. As I got into 40's I started playing more acoustic and did lots of solo acoustic side gigs. Around 2002 I heard the Norah Jones song I Don't Know Why and something about it struck me. Here was a piano song, sung by a woman that just hit me, and I decided I wanted to learn it. It is in B flat with a descending scale of chords that are quite complicated and not normal for guitar. In order to play it with open chords I transcribed it to the key of A and came up with a finger style progression that was complimentary to he piano runs. I got the vocals down and made it into my own song, similar but also very different than the original. Next up was the album's title track, Come Away With Me, and I did the same thing. I realized that there was a whole new world of music out there that was damn good that I had been ignoring and I got on this kick of taking songs done by women and adding them to my set list. I learned Bonny's version of John Prime's Angel From Montgomery, Anna Nalick's Wreck of the Day, Susan Tedeschi's version of Dylan's Don't Think Twice It's Alright, Sean Colvin's version of Gnarls Barkley's Crazy, etc. I also heard Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah and learned that and made an arrangement that was mine. 

I find it very fulfilling and also lament that I didn't catch on earlier. It has opened a lot of doors in my music life and most importantly, more audience appreciation. I also feel that singing songs usually done by women has improved my vocal chops as well. I still like to jam out and and wail 20 minute Allman Bros. tunes but now have a balance and maybe playing more things others recognize and can appreciate. Not into Taylor to the point of wanting to learn any of here songs, but I can appreciate her tremendous talent just as I can appreciate the talents of Jerry, Bob and the rest of the guys, even John Mayer.

Right on! It was Emmy Lou Harris’s  My baby Needs an Angel that turned me, and made me realize what a vast archive there is I was missing out on.  I’m really into vocals, and female singers like  Emmy Lou, kd, and Rhiannon Giddens can knock me flat. 

Edited by PrairieDog

31 minutes ago, duane v said:

I never play any cover tune right nor do I try.  I just like trying new **** half the time when I'm jamming. 

Phew! I'm not the only one.

I listened to the TS thing. Well, the 1st song anyway. I had not knowingly heard her before. At least I could make out the lyrics, which is a positive. She looks good and sings on key. However, overall it left me with indifference TBH.

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 1:15 PM, Ceptorman said:

The reason TS's new album is outselling the Dead album is because it's probably a better album😃

Question - did you get it?

Or she is the most popular entertainer on the planet, and The Dead are long forgotten and were last known as Grateful Dead in 1995, then it ended. If my cousin didn’t send me the new Dead  cd, I wouldn’t have even known it was out. T S is still alive touring the world and doing her thing, The Dead, well most of them are. Phil, Bob and Billy are no longer recoding as The Dead anymore. Each has his own thing. To me Dead And Co. was cash grab and made me sick. And this cd is a full 3 hour concert that has been in the vault since 1977. It’s not a studio recording of albums they already made and then remade cause someone screws them over. I even heard little sweet Taylor drops some F bombs on it. Cover your ears 13 years olds, this is adult stuff now. Shes so grown up now. 

Plus the dead album is limited to 25,000 copies and all are almost gone.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Question - did you get it?

Or she is the most popular entertainer on the planet, and The Dead are long forgotten and were last known as Grateful Dead in 1995, then it ended. If my cousin didn’t send me the new Dead  cd, I wouldn’t have even known it was out. T S is still alive touring the world and doing her thing, The Dead, well most of them are. Phil, Bob and Billy are no longer recoding as The Dead anymore. Each has his own thing. To me Dead And Co. was cash grab and made me sick. And this cd is a full 3 hour concert that has been in the vault since 1977. It’s not a studio recording of albums they already made and then remade cause someone screws them over. I even heard little sweet Taylor drops some F bombs on it. Cover your ears 13 years olds, this is adult stuff now. Shes so grown up now. 

Plus the dead album is limited to 25,000 copies and all are almost gone.

No, I did not get the new TS album. According to the reviews,  it's not nearly as good as her previous stuff. Maybe that's because a man hasn't broken he heart recently. 

I went to a Dead show around 1978, a friend worked at a record store and I could always get tickets. I was more of a rocker and really wasn't into the Dead. Plus the hairy armpit, stinky, nasty hippie chicks dancing everywhere kind of left a bad vibe for me.  I left early.

My concert going bar was set pretty high back then (friend's connection for tickets) the previous year I saw Zeppelin form the 8th row , center stage. That was an epic show for a 14 year old kid.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

No, I did not get the new TS album. According to the reviews,  it's not nearly as good as her previous stuff. Maybe that's because a man hasn't broken he heart recently. 

I went to a Dead show around 1978, a friend worked at a record store and I could always get tickets. I was more of a rocker and really wasn't into the Dead. Plus the hairy armpit, stinky, nasty hippie chicks dancing everywhere kind of left a bad vibe for me.  I left early.

My concert going bar was set pretty high back then (friend's connection for tickets) the previous year I saw Zeppelin form the 8th row , center stage. That was an epic show for a 14 year old kid.

When Zep last toured I was 11. Then you know the rest. I never got to see them. I have seen some on the big ones like The Who in ‘82, loud and touring a terrible album, and The Stones in ‘81, one of if not the worst concert I ever attended. The opening bands made them look like the half arse garage band they are. Who doesn’t want to see Mick strut like a chicken at his age. Ohhh ohhh pick me pick me.

Her and  the KC Chiefs guy will go separate ways. Then she will be back to the cryptic lyrics and back to more somebody done Taylor wrong songs. 

She is easy to look at. I’ll give her that. 

Yeah I’ve seen some sub par Dead shows. I guess high as s-hit you can’t be on every night. The twirling  girls never bothered me. I do hate the smell of patchouli oil. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 5/17/2024 at 6:15 PM, Ceptorman said:

The reason TS's new album is outselling the Dead album is because it's probably a better album😃

Yes could be. I have not heard either.

A better comparison would be how well a live album by TS would fare 30 years after she retired.

Posted (edited)

if "sales proves everything" is true then YMCA which sold 12 million copies is a greater song than Let It Be which sold 6 million copies.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - George Carlin

Edited by Karloff

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 9:26 AM, Karloff said:

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - George Carlin

Such as 75,000 Milfs and 13 year old girls packed into a stadium to watch T S wiggle around and sing in tight clothes? Oh and paying $500 for the privilege.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 5/20/2024 at 7:00 AM, merciful-evans said:

Yes could be. I have not heard either.

A better comparison would be how well a live album by TS would fare 30 years after she retired.

In 30 years they are just gonna prop her up on stage and milk that too.