Gibson Brands Forums

Debt Free

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

NhC -   I guess we can at least agree that we disagree.  

Yeah not looking to pick a bone about this stuff. It’s fine with me if people want to share opinions as we aren’t a one size fits all. Within bounds of civility, I say what I’ll say and others can say what they want. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Yeah not looking to pick a bone about this stuff. It’s fine with me if people want to share opinions as we aren’t a one size fits all. Within bounds of civility, I say what I’ll say and others can say what they want. 

I think that’s called freedom if speech unless Joe and Harris took that away from us.

But technically didn’t freedom of speech really just mean that you can voice your opinion about the government without fear of getting jailed. I don’t think the founding fathers meant you could go up to any African-American guy and use the N-word in front of him and your protected. Cause your gonna get punched.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

That's what makes us "special"!

By "special", do you mean the PC term for mentally challenged? If so, I have to agree with you. But, not about BMX riders.

1 minute ago, gearbasher said:

By "special", do you mean the PC term for mentally challenged? If so, I have to agree with you. But, not about BMX riders.

The short bus is pulling up right now. Is that PC?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

At least the BMX guys don't have to wear the girly stretch pants and a funny helmet that tries to make the wearer look like "The Flash"!

Edited by DanvillRob

49 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think that’s called freedom if speech unless Joe and Harris took that away from us.

But technically didn’t freedom of speech really just mean that you can voice your opinion about the government without fear of getting jailed. I don’t think the founding fathers meant you could go up to any African-American guy and use the N-word in front of him and your protected. Cause your gonna get punched.

Yes what you described is the way I understand it to be. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

At least the BMX guys don't have to wear the girly stretch pants and a funny helmet that tries to make the wearer look like "The Flash"!

Well, I don't wear an "aero" helmet. But, I do wear Lycra. Anyhow, it looks better than this:

kiss-996a7f49c55848e1865b114a4c4a0a7b.jp

8 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Well, I don't wear an "aero" helmet. But, I do wear Lycra. Anyhow, it looks better than this:

kiss-996a7f49c55848e1865b114a4c4a0a7b.jp

Were these guys any good?    I don't think I could list a single song they did.

41 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Yes what you described is the way I understand it to be. 

Yep but idiots hear freedom of speech and think they can say anything they want. Hate speech is not protected as far as what I’ve read about the amendment.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Were these guys any good?    I don't think I could list a single song they did.

They were hacks with a gimmick. I bought into it around age 10. Then I grew up and realized what sad sacks they are. Love bands and artists that think today they are doing something original by dressing up in costumes. No - Alice Copper, Kiss and Elton all did it before  the ones doing it now.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yep but idiots hear freedom of speech and think they can say anything they want. Hate speech is not protected as far as what I’ve read about the amendment.

I believe you can say anything you want about anybody as long as you are not committing a crime while doing it. 

Disclaimer: I do not condone this, but it's the law as I understand it.

Are hate crimes laws constitutional, don’t they interfere with free speech?
Hate crimes laws are constitutional. Both the U.S. Supreme Court and the California Supreme Court have ruled many times that these statues are legitimate, lawful efforts to protect our communities.

Anti-bias laws aimed at criminal actions do not violate important free speech rights. The courts tell us that speech may not be protected when coupled with violent actions. For instance, yelling a slur at somebody and then hitting him, or threatening to hurt him, is a crime. However, dissemination of racist flyers, name-calling and other non-criminal conduct while offensive, is not criminal. As you can see, there is nothing about hate crimes laws that in any way hurts our First Amendment rights.

Edited by gearbasher

13 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

I believe you can say anything you want about anybody as long as you are not committing a crime while doing it. 

Disclaimer: I do not condone this, but it's the law as I understand it.

Are hate crimes laws constitutional, don’t they interfere with free speech?
Hate crimes laws are constitutional. Both the U.S. Supreme Court and the California Supreme Court have ruled many times that these statues are legitimate, lawful efforts to protect our communities.

Anti-bias laws aimed at criminal actions do not violate important free speech rights. The courts tell us that speech may not be protected when coupled with violent actions. For instance, yelling a slur at somebody and then hitting him, or threatening to hurt him, is a crime. However, dissemination of racist flyers, name-calling and other non-criminal conduct while offensive, is not criminal. As you can see, there is nothing about hate crimes laws that in any way hurts our First Amendment rights.

So I can go off on some pro-Nazi diatribe as long as I’m not robbing a liquor store while doing it?

• Upvote 1

Nicely done Joel. Puts a smile on yer face right?

I had to pay a penalty (extra) for paying up my mortgage early. They don't want people doing that.

Since retiring and investing my pension fund, I make more per annum than when I was working full time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Nicely done Joel. Puts a smile on yer face right?

I had to pay a penalty (extra) for paying up my mortgage early. They don't want people doing that.

Since retiring and investing my pension fund, I make more per annum than when I was working full time. 

As far as I know there are no penalty’s for paying off a mortgage early in the US. The guy that bought the house in Virginia paid cash for it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

As far as I know there are no penalty’s for paying off a mortgage early in the US. The guy that bought the house in Virginia paid cash for it.

ME may mean a bank imposed penalty. I doubt it’s still this case here but it used to be if you had a fixed rate and paid off early the bank could impose a fee to recover some of the interest they didn’t receive as a result. In an era of constant refinancing I’m guessing it’s not such a thing (dunno, I only had variable loans back when). Perhaps…

5 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I pretty much started the discussion when I commented about taxes and schools.

Well hey, you got a new Pirandello adaptation “Six Smartest People in Search of a Room” [biggrin]

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

There use to be - if your mortgage contract provided for it -  but after we woke up - politicians were embarrased/forced to created a law prohibiting it.   I did have to pay a penalty for paying off my new car early.  The penalty involved - you get a $1000 cash back if you finance with Ford.  BUT, if you pay it off before 6 months - you payback the $1,000.  Impossible to stay one step ahead of the bloodsuckers. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

There use to be - if your mortgage contract provided for it -  but after we woke up - politicians were embarrased/forced to created a law prohibiting it.   I did have to pay a penalty for paying off my new car early.  The penalty involved - you get a $1000 cash back if you finance with Ford.  BUT, if you pay it off before 6 months - you payback the $1,000.  Impossible to stay one step ahead of the bloodsuckers. 

I bought dozens of new pickups when I was working.....so I had some leverage when it comes to price....but the discount for financing through Ford was something I couldn't get around, so I always paid cash....and I was buying them in multiple states.   The labor involved in getting our accounting department to pay a monthly payment was more than the savings.

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2024 at 8:33 AM, PrairieDog said:

Schools have been seriously defunded since the 60s/70s.  Voters routinely deny needed levy increases (yes you vote on your school taxes).  

Just here a major school district tried to pass a levy saying the shortfall funding from the slashed fed and state budgets is so great we will have to close schools if it fails.  The levy didn’t pass, “oh the horrors, no taxes!” and now everyone is up in arms because schools are being closed.  Hey, not like they weren’t were warned. 

Schools have been de-funded?  Not in this country.  We only get to vote on Bond Proposals which- the school districts keep putting on the ballot until they pass.  Proportionately, many of  the people who vote for them do not actually PAY property taxes.  And the schools the ISDs close?  - are outdated structurally or in areas where the student population has dropped.    More specific facts from people whose jobs are to track this stuff: They note, for example, State funding of schools is approximately 40% of their revenues. Federal government funding is another big chunk. So the local property tax is only a portion of the approximate $15K per year they spend on students today.  AND - politicians focus on whichever one of the 3 sources they want to in order to scare us.  Claiming 'State funding in these 4 states dropped.'   or  "Local school property taxes in my district are half of what they are in the richer districts."   The total funding goes up as the other pieces of funding will take up any slack. 

From The Manhattan Institute - their July 2015 report on US Education - approx. 60 pages of eye opening stuff:

• U.S. per-pupil expenditures have nearly tripled over the past half-century, from $4,720 in 1966 to $13,847 in 2016 (2018 dollars).
  • Likewise for complaints about “overcrowding”: data from School Planning & Management show that between 1995 and 2014, space increased by 30 square feet per high school student (a 20% increase), 45 square feet per middle school student (35%), and 80 square feet per elementary school student (74%).
  • Although the Economic Policy Institute has claimed that teachers earn 21.4% less than similarly skilled and educated professionals,[19]  Jason Richwine and Andrew Biggs have shown that the same methodology would find aerospace engineers “overpaid” by 38% and telemarketers “underpaid” by 26%.[20]  A simpler way to assess teacher pay, they argue, is to see whether individuals gain or lose money when switching careers into or out of teaching. They find that transferring from the private sector into teaching is associated with an 8% salary increase, while leaving teaching for the private sector is associated with a 3% salary decrease.[21]

So, in the 50 different states, and nearly 14 thousand school districts - our politicians can always find a statistic or trend to argue a point on either side of the issue.  When a school cuts civics, they don't give back the money.  The school isn't  "De-funding" itself - it is taking the money and using it somewhere else.  Of course, the parents and/or taxpayers don't get asked.   Girls in our H.S.  have to pay $Five Thousand!   to participate in the cheerleader squad.  If lucky enough to be picked.  If that isn't a perfect example of the smoke and mirrors in our schools - and their lack of integrity when it comes to 'fairness'  - I don't know what is.   Single parent mothers can't afford it,   But in a year or two -  there will be an option for everyone to pay a little more to help out the disadvantaged girls.  THEN - they will just add it to the school property tax as a required contribution.  The main job of politicians is to increase revenues so they can use the money (our money) to purchase influence and votes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Two Words :

Home 

School

Of course a stoned unemployed parent can teach a child better than a teacher who went to college and has a degree and teaching credentials. Okay Suzy it’s time for your test on the last 4 hours of TV you watched, mommy just woke up from her mid morning nap.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

In 2023 Chicago Public Schools spent $29,900 per public school student.   

That same year, Macon County Illinois (Central Illinois) spent $12,822 per public school student.

O'Fallon Illinois, in St. Clair county spent $11,909 per public school student in 2023. (Southern Illinois near St. Louis/Scott Air Force base)

In 2023, O'Fallon, IL:  41% of elementary students tested at or above the proficient level for reading, and 45% tested at or above that level for math. Also, 40% of middle school students tested at or above the proficient level for reading, and 32% tested at or above that level for math. 

In 2023, Macon County, (Decatur IL):  6% of elementary students tested at or above the proficient level for reading, and 5% tested at or above that level for math. Also, 6% of middle school students tested at or above the proficient level for reading, and 5% tested at or above that level for math.

In 2023, Cook County Il, (Chicago): 

On the South Side, just 15% read at grade level. In math, just 8% are at grade level.
On the West Side, it’s 13% and 7%.
On the Southwest Side, it’s 12% and 7%.
On the Far Southeast Side, 18% and 9%.

And then there are the individual results of some majority-black CPS schools:

At Fenger Academy High School, 0% of black students read at grade level, 0% in math.
At Hirsch Metropolitan High, 0% and 0%.
Collins Academy High School, 0% and 0%.
Chicago Excel Academy HS, 0% and 0%.
Dunbar Vocational HS, 0% and 0%.

There are 32 schools across Illinois where not a single student can read at grade level. There’s another 67 schools where not a single student is proficient in math. 

Please note the inverse relationship between the amount each of these Counties spend per student, per year, and their respective literacy rates!

Last week, a large group of Chicago Public School District teachers and administrators took a day off from their educational duties and travelled to Springfield to lobby the governor and lawmakers to INCREASE funding to CPSD. They demanded that CPSD receive an even larger percentage of Illinois' total, State wide, Public school yearly tax funds. This, by definition, would reduce the remaining percentage of State Public School funds allocated to every other school district in the State.  CPSD currently spends nearly 3 times more than O'Fallon, Il does each year per student. Yet, O'Fallon's literacy rate is around 3 times more than CPSD's literacy rate. 

It isn't about insufficient tax payer funding, per student, at Illinois Public Schools. If anything, it's about the disproportionate distribution of said, which rewards failure and punishes success. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Two Words :

Home 

School

The first day of "home school" at my house, during the COVID lockdown, was awful.  The day started out with a bomb threat and ended with a teacher being reprimanded for drinking on the job.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

The first day of "home school" at my house, during the COVID lockdown, was awful.  The day started out with a bomb threat and ended with a teacher being reprimanded for drinking on the job.

Where do you live? A war zone located in a liquor store?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1