Gibson Brands Forums

I want to soak up the sun (with my Gibson)

Posted (edited)

I am not necessarily a Sheryl Crow fan, but I do enjoy "Soak up the Sun", simply because it has a great summer vibe.  Today I was playing some music via my laptop through my PA in my "back 40" for a bunch of friends to kick off the Memorial Day Weekend, (and celebrate my daughter's HS graduation), and I played the song via YouTube.  I guess I had never seen the video for the song before, because the guitar she was playing stopped me in my tracks.  I'm not sure what kind of Gibson acoustic she has, but it sure is purdy! 

Edited by Sheepdog1969
clarification
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sheryl has a lot of nice Gibson acoustics. Regarding her music, the first two albums were pretty good, but her third 'The Globe Sessions' is a fantastic album. She should have stuck with that style, but instead decided to go pop on the follow up. Haven't heard her later albums so maybe she returned to that style? 

Edited by cody78
  • Like 1

I’m not usually a listener to Greatest Hits albums, but I really enjoyed hers as a travel album in the car when the kids were babies and the trips were long.some really nice songs. Soak up the sun, winding road, all I wanna do, favourite mistake …just about all of them to be fair [thumbup]

• Like 1

There is a documentary about her called "Sheryl" that is worth watching. Also her conversation with Bill Maher on his club random podcast reveals much about her songwriting.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I guess I had never seen the video for the song before, because the guitar she was playing stopped me in my tracks.  I'm not sure what kind of Gibson acoustic she has, but it sure is purdy! 

It's not her Signature Country & Western. 

I think it is perhaps this one:
https://www.gibson.com/en-US/p/Acoustic-Guitar/ACCFZN743/Vintage-Sunburst

I like the song Soak Up The Sun a lot, but the video isn't my favorite. 

Congrats to your awesome daughter on the graduation, by the way. 
My wife and I were down in Melbourne, Florida this past week to attend my granddaughter's HS graduation. 
In 3 weeks she goes off to Navy boot camp!!

😗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

In 3 weeks she goes off to Navy boot camp!!

Thanks brother, I will pass your kind words on to her. I hope Ash's special day was awesome. Pass on our congrats to her! LMK if you want my Father and I to do anything for her during her boot camp, assuming she is at Great Lakes. Talk to you soon.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Thanks brother, I will pass your kind words on to her. I hope Ash's special day was awesome. Pass on our congrats to her! LMK if you want my Father and I to do anything for her during her boot camp, assuming she is at Great Lakes. Talk to you soon.

There is only one boot camp for the Navy now. It's in GL, Illinois. Females used to go only to Orlando when it was open. I went back to GL as a Navy contractor in 2016. The place changed a bit. Some new buildings, but I was never on the Recruit side of the base, as you can only go there if you work on that side, or you are doing pushups, and getting yelled at. I got yelled at, and did pushups in San Deigo, but my A School was in GL. I spent 3 weeks short of a year on that miserable and, I mean, miserable base, and saw one of every season there. Anyone who ever was there will attest to that. I was an Electrician's Mate.  I did 4 years in the Navy, but the 19 years I did in the USCG were 1000% better. People don't believe me when I tell them, but the USCG has the highest minimum ASVAB score to enlist. Even higher than the pompous Air Force. l won lunch one day on a bet with an A F guy who thought I was blowing smoke up his arse. All the other branches its 31, and the USCG is 36. You can look it up. I just did it to make sure. I think I scored an 80 when I joined the Navy. 

What rate does she want to be, or does she have a guaranteed A School after boot?

If I have any advice for someone joining, it's to pick a rate you can use after they get out. I was never unemployed as an electrician after I got out until I wanted to be.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 12:39 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

There is only one boot camp for the Navy now. It's in GL, Illinois. Females used to go only to Orlando when it was open. I went back to GL as a Navy contractor in 2016. The place changed a bit. Some new buildings, but I was never on the Recruit side of the base, as you can only go there if you work on that side, or you are doing pushups, and getting yelled at. I got yelled at, and did pushups in San Deigo, but my A School was in GL. I spent 3 weeks short of a year on that miserable and, I mean, miserable base, and saw one of every season there. Anyone who ever was there will attest to that. I was an Electrician's Mate.  I did 4 years in the Navy, but the 19 years I did in the USCG were 1000% better. People don't believe me when I tell them, but the USCG has the highest minimum ASVAB score to enlist. Even higher than the pompous Air Force. l won lunch one day on a bet with an A F guy who thought I was blowing smoke up his arse. All the other branches its 31, and the USCG is 36. You can look it up. I just did it to make sure. I think I scored an 80 when I joined the Navy. 

What rate does she want to be, or does she have a guaranteed A School after boot?

If I have any advice for someone joining, it's to pick a rate you can use after they get out. I was never unemployed as an electrician after I got out until I wanted to be.

Ashley will be at Great Lakes for Boot Camp and the follow on training. 
She will be a Fire Controlman in the Advanced Electronics/Computer Field (AECF). 

Which is funny, because she wants to become a nurse eventually. 

😐

On 5/26/2024 at 10:45 AM, Sheepdog1969 said:

I'll be going up for Boot Camp graduation in early September. 
Right around the time my girl turns 19.

Looking forward to seeing you again and meeting your Dad, good sir. 
🙂

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Ashley will be at Great Lakes for Boot Camp and the follow on training. 
She will be a Fire Controlman in the Advanced Electronics/Computer Field (AECF). 

Which is funny, because she wants to become a nurse eventually. 

😐

Seems like Corpsman would be a better choice, but getting into the electronics field is a good choice too.

I was originally going to be an Electronics Tech, but I partied too much in A School and got kicked out. Then became an Electrician. I worked with more than my share of electronics in that field as it is.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

yea, It's a J200 but not exactly a standard

I see the bridge where there's bridge has inlays where there's usually nothing but a scalloped area that goes down to the top.

• Thanks 1