Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 1942 Banner J45 thoughts?

Howdy all,

I recently bought a Taylor 117e a few months back for use as a simple gig guitar. I’m actually taking the Taylor to My favorite music store later today to play it back to back against the new Inspired by Gibson Custom Banner Epiphone J45, which has a Baggs Element VTC.

Anyone here buy one? Play one? How different is it than the cheaper J45 Slash model? I know it’s not a Gibson; I have one of dem…

Thoughts?

I suspect I’m going to trade.

I've not played the new IBG Banner but I have the IBG Hummingbird made in Indonesia and I absolutley love it.  I've mentioned elsewhere that it took a bit longer to open up but I did the speaker trick for a number of days and it's made a massive difference.  Also yanked out the USP and gave it a new bone saddle and a soundhole pickup--another tone improvement.  I'm a big fan of these and will be curious as to what you think if you make the trade.

Posted (edited)

Deed is done. Love it. Sounds like a Gibson, which is not what I expected. It has a growl. A great full neck. A nice pickup. And I’m going to gig it tomorrow. Report to follow! But from my couch playing today, a big thumbs up.

j0RVveAh.jpg

Edited by MorristownSal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Great looking - glad it sounds great as well.  Surprised they put an orange oval label in them.   EgoIdealMusic - does your IBG H'Bird have one ? 

Yup, my IBG bird has the orange label.  I think that all of the IBG ones do.

Posted (edited)

I watched Sweetwater demo & it’s very interesting to me as a back up to Gibson J-160E & my Martin D-35E..

It looks great & sounds great! Price is a bit high for an imported Epiphone.. But, it is of interest to go try one out.. Where is it built?

If you remember my, Best Acoustic Guitar Under $2000.00, Thread some months back, it may be what I’ve been looking for..

Congratulations! Enjoy!

Edited by Larsongs

I could be wrong, but I feel like I'd read that while the original line up of IBG Epis is now made in China this new series is made in Indonesia.  Can't see the serial number in that pic, but that would tell you where it's coming from.

2 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

I think these are made in a Gibson owned plant in China? There was a sticker I peeled off the back of the neck that said hand crafted in China   

I’ve had way better quality Made in China Guitars than Made in Indonesia Guitars..

That said, the Indonesian Guitars were Squier Jazzmaster’s.. All three were awful. I returned them.. And one Made in Indonesia Danelectro 12 String which literally fell apart during its first Setup. I was lucky I was able to return it.

Hopefully Indonesian Epiphone’s are better..

I was surprised by the orange oval label, but got over it faster than the iconic 'trademarked' Gibson Shaped headstock replacing the Epiphone version.

I'm guessing  the quality of guitars is more a function of the actual plant, than the country.  Unless the country has laws prohibiting different kinds of woods that are legal in others.  But, if Epiphone/GIBSON decided to build a plant - I'd guess they'd consider the availability of raw materials, skilled labor, transportation/infrastructure and the laws that might affect them - regardless of the country.   Which country has a location that is a best fit for the type of product (and quality) they're looking for.    

Clearly -  they're hitting home runs with these IBG Banners ! 

20 minutes ago, Buc McMaster said:

Hmmm.  Does the banner say "Only a Gibson.............." below the Epi inlay?  Indeed the two brands are as one but to have both names on the headstock seems a bit odd.

I looked it up on the Epi site and the banner says ”Inspired by Gibson Custom”. 
I bet that banner gave the marketing department some headaches. 

Lars

Here’s the only YouTube comparison I could find between the Epi ‘42 Banner J-45 & the Gibson ‘42 Banner J-45.. He switches to the Gibson at 3:00..

Both are very nice…

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

I was surprised by the orange oval label, but got over it faster than the iconic 'trademarked' Gibson Shaped headstock replacing the Epiphone version.

I'm guessing  the quality of guitars is more a function of the actual plant, than the country.  Unless the country has laws prohibiting different kinds of woods that are legal in others.  But, if Epiphone/GIBSON decided to build a plant - I'd guess they'd consider the availability of raw materials, skilled labor, transportation/infrastructure and the laws that might affect them - regardless of the country.   Which country has a location that is a best fit for the type of product (and quality) they're looking for.    

Clearly -  they're hitting home runs with these IBG Banners ! 

I agree it’s more a function of the Plant.. There have been some very nice Epiphone Guitars coming out of China over the past several years.. Several with Gibson USA Pickups, Switchcraft & other high quality upgraded Parts & excellent Build quality.. At good Price points..

• Like 1

The comparison video makes me wonder how much of the difference is in the thickness of the top and braces.  My IBG is pretty darn heavy--which would also speak to it taking longer to open up.

As for the Indonesia vs. China, I was only sharing what I read.  I've only got one from Indonesia and have been super thrilled with it.

Posted (edited)

I gigged yesterday in Brooklyn at the 5th Avenue Festival. They close 30 blocks and there is foot traffic galore, sausage and pepper stands, bars (we played in front of one for 3.5 hours). And all sorts of street fare.  Palestinian moms and kids dancing to Marshall Tucker and Allman Brothers is a surreal sight.

The guitar was awesome. The Baggs Element worked great. I am so happy I got it. Know before you buy mail order that the finish is satin matte, and that the headstock painted on Epiphone name and Inspired by Gibson Custom looks real cheap. Now where is my can of aerosol paint! Also the tuners work fine, but they have a cheap look. I’d rather have Rotos.

get past that… and the guitar is so good you still will be happy. It sounds terrific.

bOaGAceh.jpg

Edited by MorristownSal
  • Like 2