Gibson Brands Forums

Would You Pay For This?

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It’s unfortunately the world we live in. Say no to huge concerts.

The last large concerts (Eagles & Eric Clapton) I attended were at the Glendale arena just outside Phoenix circa 2007.  Good, elevated seats and not outrageously expensive.  The few others I have attended since then were in small venues (both indoor and outdoor), which I much prefer.  I have never had any interest in going to ACL or SXSW because of the crowds, traffic, parking, etc.

2 hours ago, duane v said:

If it was Fleetwood Mac as a whole, sure why not.

I still enjoy live music no matter the venue. 

I’d rather just see Lindsey. Oh wait I did. F M bore me to tears. I have 0 interest in Stevie’s songs. Songbird tho is one of my fav F M songs, but Mrs. Perfect wrote that one.

It's all about supply and demand.

The promoters will charge as much as the market will bear. If the people wouldn't pay as much as they do for tickets, the price would go down.

Good luck with that :D 

They are just musicians/singers, like me, and not idols. They were in the right place, at the right time, and knew the right people, so they make more than me. More power to them.

But as musicians go, there is always somebody better, and always somebody worse. I've seen nobodies in a bar playing better than quite a few of the biggest stars.

Besides, I can do what they do. That's why I'll pay to see a symphony orchestra, but not any pop band.

Of course, that's just me. There is more than one right way to go through life.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

13 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

It's all about supply and demand.

The promoters will charge as much as the market will bear. If the people wouldn't pay as much as they do for tickets, the price would go down.

Good luck with that 😄

They are just musicians/singers, like me, and not idols. They were in the right place, at the right time, and knew the right people, so they make more than me. More power to them.

But as musicians go, there is always somebody better, and always somebody worse. I've seen nobodies in a bar playing better than quite a few of the biggest stars.

Besides, I can do what they do. That's why I'll pay to see a symphony orchestra, but not any pop band.

Of course, that's just me. There is more than one right way to go through life.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

I think it's more than that. 

Certainly timing is part of it, but to get to the level of a Stevie Nicks there has to be something about you / or your band that is signature and how it's represented to the masses.... which IMO makes them more than just a musician.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duane v said:

Certainly timing is part of it, but to get to the level of a Stevie Nicks there has to be something about you / or your band that is signature and how it's represented to the masses.... which IMO makes them more than just a musician.

Mrs. Nicks got her big break so to say, due to Mick needing a new guitar player. He was played the Buckingham/Nicks album. But he only wanted Lindsey. Lindsey said it was both or neither. If Linsey said I’ll join, and would have parted ways with Stevie, would she eventually make it on her own. We will never know. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 7/25/2024 at 8:32 AM, duane v said:

Stevie is just an adequate singer, at best. She was lucky enough to be in the right place, at the right time, and knew the right people.

She destroyed her voice because she doesn't even breathe properly, like a singer should. Stevie has no breath support, which is why she developed nodules on her vocal cords, which is why she sounds frog-like. She does express herself well. 

There are a lot of singers/musicians who are much better than many of the famous ones, but end up playing in dive bars and never make it. And there are many who are worse.

The thing is, we are all musicians, and there is always someone better, and someone worse.

I've heard some auto-tune queens and kings who couldn't sing their way out of a paper bag, selling millions of records. I've also heard great singers doing the same thing.

Memetic theory states that people don't know what they want, so they want what other people want. If enough people say a singer is great, the majority of their peers will do the same. Advertisers and politicians have known about mimetic theory forever, and they use that to manipulate us.

IMO, no singer is worth being a billionaire like Springsteen and Swift. Not to take anything away from them, they are both pros, and do their craft very well. But they are not hundreds of thousands times better than a lot of singers who will never get past their local market.

I'm a career musician. When in school, I was first in the all-state band every year. I've played with greats of the industry when their recordings were #1 on Billboard.  Almost had that dream record contract, but the talks broke down over money - the label wanted to pimp us - and our manager wanted us to get paid. At nortonmusic.com, I've sold snippets of my music to musicians in 100 different countries so they can use them to pretend they played it.  I'm not rich, but happy where I am. I do not think of the people in those concerts to be doing anything that I can't do. So why should I pay an outrageous amount of money? A reasonable price I'd be OK with. 

But as long as the demand is great, the big artists will charge whatever the market will bear. It's the way it is, it's the way it has always been, and it's just business. 

I'm just observing, not criticizing. If I had 'made it big' I might have done the same. It's just business.

Notes ♫

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

Stevie is just an adequate singer, at best. She was lucky enough to be in the right place, at the right time, and knew the right people.

She destroyed her voice because she doesn't even breathe properly, like a singer should. Stevie has no breath support, which is why she developed nodules on her vocal cords, which is why she sounds frog-like. She does express herself well. 

There are a lot of singers/musicians who are much better than many of the famous ones, but end up playing in dive bars and never make it. And there are many who are worse.

The thing is, we are all musicians, and there is always someone better, and someone worse.

I've heard some auto-tune queens and kings who couldn't sing their way out of a paper bag, selling millions of records. I've also heard great singers doing the same thing.

Memetic theory states that people don't know what they want, so they want what other people want. If enough people say a singer is great, the majority of their peers will do the same. Advertisers and politicians have known about mimetic theory forever, and they use that to manipulate us.

IMO, no singer is worth being a billionaire like Springsteen and Swift. Not to take anything away from them, they are both pros, and do their craft very well. But they are not hundreds of thousands times better than a lot of singers who will never get past their local market.

I'm a career musician. When in school, I was first in the all-state band every year. I've played with greats of the industry when their recordings were #1 on Billboard.  Almost had that dream record contract, but the talks broke down over money - the label wanted to pimp us - and our manager wanted us to get paid. At nortonmusic.com, I've sold snippets of my music to musicians in 100 different countries so they can use them to pretend they played it.  I'm not rich, but happy where I am. I do not think of the people in those concerts to be doing anything that I can't do. So why should I pay an outrageous amount of money? A reasonable price I'd be OK with. 

But as long as the demand is great, the big artists will charge whatever the market will bear. It's the way it is, it's the way it has always been, and it's just business. 

I'm just observing, not criticizing. If I had 'made it big' I might have done the same. It's just business.

Notes ♫

Totally agree. But Stevie can twirl in a dress with lots of scarves on, and tap the tambourine, and not fall over. Talent x10. She also put lots of Columbian Marching Powder in the old snozz, but hey it’s rock and roll, right? If you want to go to sleep put on Rumours. I can only honestly name 3 of her solo songs. And couldn’t care less if I ever heard them. I think Tom Petty wrote one of them.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Notes ♫

I think McCartney has earned his $$ ...

‘Worth’ is a meaningless mental concept. On Friday night I’ll be ‘worth’ $100 for 40 minutes of my caterwauling and guitar pounding, and on Saturday I’ll exchange that $100 for a new tyre so I can register my car…now I wouldn’t trust either Bruce or Taylor to fit the tyre, though I’d happily watch Taylor have a try - it would be worth it  …so, maybe worth does exist? 

not worth worrying about [laugh]

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Karloff said:

I think McCartney has earned his $$ ...

IMO the most talented of that band. I consider him one of the top bassists of the era. If it weren't for Epstein, we probably would have never heard him play or sing.

When I was connected with Motown in Detroit, I knew Jamerson, who influenced Paul quite a bit. The folks we now call The Funk Brothers, weren't gods, didn't have big heads, just good musicians. At least as far as I could tell. We opened for a few Motown acts, and that was a fun part of my life.

Sadly, I never got to jam with Paul. I did with Eric Burdon of the Animals, Rick Derringer of the McCoys, some of the Motown folks, and a few others. Traded licks with Jr. Walker in the Motown studios once, that was fun. Opened for other acts, and got to talk with them backstage, but didn't get to jam with them.

I opened concerts for a lot of big stars. Our band was actually better than some, and not as good as others. That's pretty par for the course. 

The Swifts and McCartney's of the world are not demigods, just good musicians who were in the right place, at the right time, with the right connections, and made the most of it.

I'll pay a reasonable price to see them, and all the time, wish I was on stage with them, but I'm going to spend a small fortune to see someone do what I can do.

But that's just me. There is more than one right way to go through life.

Notes

• Like 2

I was given a free ticket to go see Simon and Carbunkle in Giants Stadium many years ago.

There they are, the tiny little dots down there, they're the size of ants...

To answer the question, no, I would not pay to stand so far away you have to watch on a Jumbotron.  You might as well just stay home and watch a DVD.

Edited by SteveFord

14 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I was given a free ticket to go see Simon and Carbunkle in Giants Stadium many years ago.

There they are, the tiny little dots down there, they're the size of ants...

To answer the question, no, I would not pay to stand so far away you have to watch on a Jumbotron.  You might as well just stay home and watch a DVD.

My thoughts exactly, I would love to have seen S&G but there's no way I'm going to pay a small fortune to watch a couple of dot's, I'd buy a DVD first.

• Like 1