Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone have a baritone guitar?

Rabs

I was talking to a guy I used to work with the other day who is also a guitar player...  Hes was talking about all the different guitars he wants including a baritone, definitely has GAS but doesnt talk about it online so just doesnt know a lot of us get that 🙂  

Hes been having a rough time of it recently and I thought about maybe building a baritone for him so I have been looking in to them.

Now I kind of want one myself  😄    

For those that dont know (as I didnt exactly before this). Baritones are six string guitars and can be played the normal way but have thicker stings and usually are tuned to B standard   B-E-A-D-F#-B and the sting sets you can buy are something like 13 - 70..  Apparently any guitar that has a longer scale length than 25.5 is considered a baritone ( so 26-30" usually)..  In looking it up it seems that often they go for a 27" scale length.

So if you have one..  What are your thoughts on them?

I had one for a few months. 
An ESP LTD. 
I got it used, from a nice pawn shop. 

We didn't gel. 
It wasn't my thing. 

I ended up giving it to a good friend, for his birthday in 2022. 
He loves it, and plays it to this day. 

🙂

61nfDGKtOYL._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Thanks 1

Back in 2015, I was considering either a 6 string baritone or a 7 string.  I ultimately purchased a 7 string.  I thought the extra string would make it more versatile.  I normally tune it to B Standard (B-E-A-D-G-b-e), but sometimes tune it to B-E-A-D-F#-b-e, which is standard tuning for a 6 string baritone with the additional high E string.  I also play an 8 string.   My 7 string has a  25.5” scale length.  If I had it to do ever again, I would have bought one with a 27” scale length.  My 8 string has a 27” scale length.  If I but another 8 string, it will be a minimum 28” scale length.   I’m really liking extended-range guitars and basses.

I will be interested in seeing the baritone if you make one.

• Thanks 1

Well I say I want one.. But I do at least want to try one. They have some baritone squire teles in the local shop so I may venture out next week and give one a go...

On 7/26/2024 at 7:08 PM, Rabs said:

Well I say I want one.. But I do at least want to try one. They have some baritone squire teles in the local shop so I may venture out next week and give one a go...

It’s definitely worth checking out.  Once you get used to the change in fretboard reference point (low and high B vs. low and high E), it is a fairly easy transition.  And if you like the availability of the lower registers like I do, you will feel right at home.  And if they have any 7 strings hanging in the wall, I suggest you give it/them a “test drive,” if nothing more than for comparison.  You just might be surprised how a 7 string could be the answer.  You can do everything you can on a 6 string baritone and more.  Good hunting!

Edited by tx-ogre

Hey Rabs,

I forgot to ask if you have ever built a multi-scale guitar or bass, regardless of the number of strings or scal length.  My 6 string Ibanez bass (SRMS806) is my first and only multi-scale guitar/bass.  My 7 & 8 string guitars are regular scale, but in a future purchase of either, I would seriously consider a multi-scale option, along with a longer scale length.  I was just curious as a builder what opinion, if any, you have on the subject.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

Hey Rabs,

I forgot to ask if you have ever built a multi-scale guitar or bass, regardless of the number of strings or scal length.  My 6 string Ibanez bass (SRMS806) is my first and only multi-scale guitar/bass.  My 7 & 8 string guitars are regular scale, but in a future purchase of either, I would seriously consider a multi-scale option, along with a longer scale length.  I was just curious as a builder what opinion, if any, you have on the subject.

No, only standard six string guitars. I did try to cut my own fret slots with blanks when I first started, only to ruin like £50 worth of rosewood. I then found a place that pre slotted the frets and just used them the whole time. So doing something like a multi scale fretboard. Well im sure if I tried hard enough I could but these days as I said in the other thread, its hardly worth it in todays market.

Edited by Rabs

19 minutes ago, Rabs said:

No, only standard six string guitars. I did try to cut my own fret slots with blanks when I first started, only to ruin like £50 worth of rosewood. I then found a place that pre slotted the frets and just used them the whole time. So doing something like a multi scale fretboard. Well im sure if I tried hard enough I could but these days as I said in the other thread, its hardly worth it in todays market.

Thanks for the reply.  I can see where it would be challenging to do/learn something like that in a limited market.  Not a lot of us crazies wandering off into the “dark side.”   The transition from a standard scale 4 string bass to a MS 6 string bass was easy since I had been playing a 7 string guitar for years so I was used to dealing with the low B string.  Moving around the MS fretboard was very comfortable, but I obviously don’t do things like strum Barre chords on a bass.  That is something I think about when considering a MS 7 or 8 string guitar.  I won’t know for sure until I actually play one, but as you might expect, finding one in a local guitar shop to “test” drive is highly unlikely.

Edited by tx-ogre

I came close to buying a Danelectro Baritone many moons ago. I dont know why I didnt, as I liked it. 

I saw Lee Anderton play a baritone on his channel once. It made me want one all over again. He made it sound terrific. Rich & deep. 

Yes, I have a 2005 Danelectro M.I.K. Baritone. It has a 30" scale length, the classic "bottle" headstock, and I have it tuned B – B. It's the classic single cutaway Dano body shape, but it's a solidbody (not masonite over a pine plywood frame like my '98 DC-12) with two lipstick single coil pickups. I like it quite a bit. I also have a Squier Bass VI which is also a 30" scale, but that one is set up for 6 string bass, as per normal Bass VI specs. 

On 8/5/2024 at 4:46 PM, Phil OKeefe said:

Yes, I have a 2005 Danelectro M.I.K. Baritone. It has a 30" scale length, the classic "bottle" headstock, and I have it tuned B – B. It's the classic single cutaway Dano body shape, but it's a solidbody (not masonite over a pine plywood frame like my '98 DC-12) with two lipstick single coil pickups. I like it quite a bit. I also have a Squier Bass VI which is also a 30" scale, but that one is set up for 6 string bass, as per normal Bass VI specs. 

With the 30” scale length on the Danelectro baritone, what string gauge do use use for B Standard tuning?

Just watched some vids.... they are kinda strange sounding guitars. 

Don't think I'll ever have a use for them, and the scale length I can see myself getting lost on the fretboard and causing more of a disaster.

15 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

With the 30” scale length on the Danelectro baritone, what string gauge do use use for B Standard tuning?

I have been using D'Addario EXL157's, which are gauge 14-68.  

On a side note..  Every time I see this thread title I hear the word Barrytone in my head..  Like you are buying a Barry White sounding  guitar  😄 

Every time you play a note it goes  Ohhhhhhhh baaaayybbbaaaahhhh...

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2024 at 10:10 AM, Phil OKeefe said:

I have been using D'Addario EXL157's, which are gauge 14-68.  

Thanks for the reply.  I was curious if the 30” inch scale length in contrast to the 27-28” scale length made lighter strings more comfortable to play.  I would mostly likely buy a multi-scale/fanned fret 7, 8 or 9 string guitar in the future and string gauge/tension is always an issue when you get into scale lengths over 27”.

Edited by tx-ogre
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Thanks for the reply.  I was curious if the 30” inch scale length in contrast to the 27-28” scale length made lighter strings more comfortable to play.  I would mostly likely buy a multi-scale/fanned fret 7, 8 or 9 string guitar in the future and string gauge/tension is always an issue when you get into scale lengths over 27”.

If you count the Bari, I have guitars with scale lengths from 22 3/4" (a Baby Taylor) to 30" (the Dano Bari).  In my experience, the shorter the scale length, the heavier the string gauge I need to use to get the string tension that I prefer. For example, on most of my acoustic guitars, I usually use 12-53 gauge strings, but on my Taylor GS Mini (23.5" scale), I have to use mediums (13-56) or they feel too loose and rubber band-like for my tastes. For my Fender Mustang, Music Master and Duo Sonic (all 24" scale), I have to use at least 10s, or even 11s to get to where it feels similar to my Tele or Strat running 9s or 10s. I go back and forth between those two gauges on my 25.5" scale guitars. I use 10s on all of my 24.75" scale Gibson electrics and my 25" scale PRS. 

I can easily run a lighter gauge on the baritone (13-62), and I have previously, but I wanted to try the mediums to see how they sounded and felt. They have a bit beefier tone, which I like, but are harder to bend. Since I don't do a lot of bending on the baritone, I've stuck with the heavier strings. If you want lighter gauge strings for your baritone, I think a longer scale length would make that easier and more practical than trying to use the same lighter gauges on a shorter scale length baritone.