Gibson Brands Forums

Me & Jesus

Last month, a dear friend of mine passed-away.  Jeff Dunkle.  He had a bad heart condition.  He liked writing songs and playing guitar.  He was one of those “three chords and the truth” guys.  He kept it sweet and simple.  He’d often come to my coffeehouse gigs and I’d always ask him to play a couple songs.  Other times we’d just meet for coffee and talk about life.  He was a good human.  He wrote this song.  He said it was kind of where he felt he was in life.

Me & Jesus
Me and (C) Jesus turn the (F) lights off every (G) night.

He (Am) reminds me I’m (G) gonna be alright.

And in the (C) morning, he’ll be (F) there to show the (C) way.

It’ll (F) be a better (C) day, and if I (F) break He’ll gently (C) pick up all the (G) pieces.

Me and (C) Jesus.

Me and Jesus took some time to find our way.

Still, He listened to the words I didn’t say.

When I met him, He said He’d been there all along,

Every right and every wrong, held my hand and never once did He release it.

Me and Jesus.

Chorus……

Me and (F) Jesus, we still got a ways to go

But we’ll (C) get there….feels so good to know

That He’ll be (F) with me, with me to the end.

Me and (C) Jesus, we’ve (G)become the best of friends.

Me and Jesus turn the lights off every night.

He reminds me I’m gonna be alright.

And in the morning, he’ll be there to show the way.

It’ll be a better day, and if I break He’ll gently pick up all the pieces.

Me and Jesus.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Sorry for your loss brother. What a wonderful way to honor Jeff by immortalizing his heartfelt song in the digital domain. May his lyrics and melody provide strength and inspiration for those around the world who need it, (like me).

Thanks for the comments,, guys……Jeff wasn’t feeling very well shortly before his passing.  He often joked about having “a bad ticker.”  None of us knew how bad it actually was.   We all met at  the coffeehouse on Friday for some tall tales  and laughs.  He’d shown-up at my Thursday gig, stayed about 20 minutes and said he wasn’t feeling good, so he headed home.  Then,  on Sunday evening he was gone. …….  We all laughed about everything, including ourselves.  Life is too short to spend time arguing over bullshit on the internet.

• Thanks 2

I have been finding that I am at a point where I am out living most of my friends. Actively playing music and staying connected, with mostly musicians and bought 2 new guitars in the last couple of months. Fortunately it doesn’t seem to get any easier when friends pass, I don’t want it to, I don’t want to get numb, I don’t want to forget, I do want Jesus to watch over them and help me stay on the path..

Thank you Mr Picker for your good works..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I have been finding that I am at point where I am out living most of my friends. Actively playing music and staying connected, with mostly musicians and bought 2 new guitars in the last couple of months. Fortunately it doesn’t seem to get any easier when friends pass, I don’t want it to, I don’t want to get numb, I don’t want to forget, I do want Jesus to watch over them and help me stay on the path..

Thank you Mr Picker for your good works..

Good words!  Yeah, literally all my friendships are related in some way to playing music.   Like many who have been playing in public venues for years (nothing financially successful or big…lol…..coffeehouses, bars, music in the parks, local festivals, Walks on The Square. Etc….), I know lots of other musicians, but there were 6-7 of us that were together a lot.  Now there are four of us.  Time goes on.  So long as I can pick-up a guitar and get to a coffeehouse, etc., I intend to keep playing.  It’s fun, it mental and physical therapy……

Edited by MissouriPicker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

So long as I can pick-up a guitar and get to a coffeehouse, etc., I intend to keep playing.  It’s fun, it mental and physical therapy……

Yep, we have a gig coming up this week and you never know how long you have. Contrary  to any ‘big head rock star’ perceptions, I find it keeps you humble as well, just having the honour of playing to folks who give their appreciation. [thumbup]

• Like 1