Gibson Brands Forums

Nothing like a re-fretted Gibson LPC

It took a little getting used to, but my fingers are acclimating nicely to the new fret wire. Bends are much easier now.

This one came equipped with Tim Shaw's.... it's a late 1981. Added the pup covers and changed out the Nashville for an ABR1 and added reflector knobs.

I have three white LPC's ....... well they're off white now.

IMG_6445.jpg

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, duane v said:

It took a little getting used to, but my fingers are acclimating nicely to the new fret wire. Bends are much easier now.

This one came equipped with Tim Shaw's.... it's a late 1981. Added the pup covers and changed out the Nashville for an ABR1 and added reflector knobs.

I have three white LPC's ....... well they're off white now.

IMG_6445.jpg

Randy Rhodes would approve.

Thanks guys.

One thing I did notice after all the fret work and the fretboard polishing the inlays are kinda grippy when I bend a note... I'm wondering if the fretboard polishing did something. It gets a little better each time I play it. 

Strange.

2 hours ago, duane v said:

To me it looks a lot better. 

Like Billy Crystal used to say on SNL - It’s better to look good, than to feel good. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Like Billy Crystal used to say on SNL - It’s better to look good, than to feel good. 

My 1980 LPC has the Nashville Bridge and to be honest it really doesn't feel all that different. There are those that say having the ABR1 bridge post threaded directly into the wood creates more wood /string vibration????? Maybe.... who knows.

4 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

looks amazing Duane. I love an early 80s custom but this one all freshly done up? That’s pretty much a 10/10

cant take my eyes off it!

It's a monet.... Looks great from a distance. But my Luthier really cleaned it up phenomenally well. 

So far only the back of the body has started to check, and my keyboard player (RIP) accidently dropped a cherry from a cigarette on the headstock MOP logo and slightly damaged it and fouled up the clear a little. I was able to mask it  with some work, but you can see the burn mark just a tad where the b & s connect.

IMG_6479.jpg

49 minutes ago, duane v said:

It's a monet.... Looks great from a distance. But my Luthier really cleaned it up phenomenally well. 

So far only the back of the body has started to check, and my keyboard player (RIP) accidently dropped a cherry from a cigarette on the headstock MOP logo and slightly damaged it and fouled up the clear a little. I was able to mask it  with some work, but you can see the burn mark just a tad where the b & s connect.

IMG_6479.jpg

See all we needed was your keyboard player to relic guitars the real way. Lots of players who smoke have those cig marks from when they stuck them in between the E string and headstock and played too long a solo and it scorched the headstock.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

See all we needed was your keyboard player to relic guitars the real way. Lots of players who smoke have those cig marks from when they stuck them in between the E string and headstock and played too long a solo and it scorched the headstock.

When it happened we were both OH CRAP!!! But as I learned more about Nitro finishes when something happens you can do touch up work to where it will look presentable. 

I do like some of the relic'd finishes.... My 2007 Custom Shop LPC was done rather nicely. I just added the embossed pup covers (which IMO every Les Paul Custom should be equipped with).

RR.jpg

RR2.jpg

RR3_1jEvEPnyNrKn3uZTy4S7Lj.jpg