Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Affected By The Storm?

I live by Myrtle Beach, Little River to be exact. But unless you have been here, you have probably never heard of it. The rain has stopped for now, but it coming back in a bit. The Grand Strand might take a pounding right on the Ocean. I’m about 3/4 of a mile from the ICW and the A O is just on the other side. The million dollar beach houses usually get the worst of it. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

We've got a storm from the North and the storm from the South coming in.  

It won't be anything like what those poor guys down South are getting.

By the time Debby gets to you it’s just gonna be like any normal rainstorm.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

With the antiquated sewer system in my neighborhood, anything more than a "normal" rainstorm causes water to back up in my basement. Not too much water, but just enough to annoy me. My neighbors get it worse. So, the two storms coming together worries me. I'm off to set up a sump pump in my yard drain to try to keep as much water out of my drain system as possible. Fingers crossed.

On the bright side, they are scheduled to put in a new sewer system in the fall of next year. We'll see.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

With the antiquated sewer system in my neighborhood, anything more than a "normal" rainstorm causes water to back up in my basement. Not too much water, but just enough to annoy me. My neighbors get it worse. So, the two storms coming together worries me. I'm off to set up a sump pump in my yard drain to try to keep as much water out of my drain system as possible. Fingers crossed.

On the bright side, they are scheduled to put in a new sewer system in the fall of next year. We'll see.

Basements are cool, but that’s the price you gotta pay to have a large section of your house underground. No basements around here. We are too close to water.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Beaufort, SC here.

Started raining yesterday mid afternoon. Slowed my 37 mile drive to my weekly jam, but did not cancel. the rain intensified by quitting time at 8PM.  Drive home was slow with driving rain. Car speed was down to 35 MPH at times. The hazard was the water accummulated on the roadway.  Today the golf course ponds have overflowed a tad. There are tree limbs scattered about.  No power loss at my home. Not raining now, but I expect it to resume in the next few hours.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gearbasher said:

Hey, just mentioning, maybe you already know about this, but a few years back on some home improvement show, might have been “this old house” they were demo-ing a main drain back-flow preventer device you drop in your floor drain that automatically closes the drain when pressure builds from underneath.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Hey, just mentioning, maybe you already know about this, but a few years back on some home improvement show, might have been “this old house” they were demo-ing a main drain back-flow preventer device you drop in your floor drain that automatically closes the drain when pressure builds from underneath.  

Got them, but the back pressure pushes some water past. I could imagine what it would be like without them. I also have a check valve between my system and the street.  I'm guessing whatever water is getting in is coming from my yard drain, hence the sump pump idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Got them, but the back pressure pushes some water past. I could imagine what it would be like without them. I also have a check valve between my system and the street.  I'm guessing whatever water is getting in is coming from my yard drain, hence the sump pump idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cool. I’m glad to hear they work at least to a point. Our drain field pipe is buried too shallow and often freezes so the main drain backs up.  We try to keep an eye on it and have the tank pumped to keep that from happening, but we occasionally don’t catch it in time, or something happens, or the truck can’t get down the road to pump the tank.  What a mess.  I was intrigued by the check valves when I saw them, but it hasn’t been an issue the past couple of winters, so it fell off the chore list.  I think I’ll go track one down.  

My house is built on a slab, and we have a septic tank and leach field instead of city sewer. 

All is well, year 'round, until we get days of heavy rain. 
Then all the water from up the hill (headed downhill toward my spring-fed creek) ends up saturating the property and the leach field beneath the back lawn and gardens. 

For the first few years here, we would end up with slow-draining sinks and toilets going 'glug glug' whenever there was rain saturation. 

Finally I got smart. 
I dug two separate french drain trenches leading away and downhill from my leach field, and filled them with rocks. 

All the excess water happily flows away now, and all the household plumbing and fixtures are ship-shape and good to go. 

🫤 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

The only effect I got is that I've had to listen to people whine about it for days!

Who in your area is whining about it? I’m affected, not people in Cali paying more for taxes on their house than what my whole house is worth.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

We got off light. Didn't even drop the storm awnings.

A lot of rain, gale force winds, coming in squalls, separated by periods of sunshine. 

It’s rain then no rain, then repeat. 

24 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Who in your area is whining about it? I’m affected, not people in Cali paying more for taxes on their house than what my whole house is worth.

I'm sorry....I should have made it more clear that that was a joke.

17 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Ahhhhh . . .

When people back east tell me how cold it is in winter...I tell them it was so cold here in the SF Bay Area that I had to put a t-shirt on under my shirt!

12 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

When people back east tell me how cold it is in winter...I tell them it was so cold here in the SF Bay Area that I had to put a t-shirt on under my shirt!

BS SF gets colder than that. I remember needing a ski jacket at SF Giants games at Candlestick in mid summer. You know that’s true.

My goodness, but Debby is over-staying her welcome in the Carolinas. 

Say Sarge, I just realized how close you live to where I flew into a few years ago. 

We made a few deliveries of Army OH-58D helicopters to The Military Ocean Terminal Sunny Point. 
That was quite a series of adventures, and a lot of fun flying up the coastline (low leve) past where you live. 

The helicopters were provisioned to the Tunisian military, and my organization flew them to and from the paint shop at Fort Hood, a flight school that was thrown together at Roswell, NM, and then finally to the port. 

Good times. 
🙂

oh-58-kiowa-warrior-tunisian-air-force-j

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

BS SF gets colder than that. I remember needing a ski jacket at SF Giants games at Candlestick in mid summer. You know that’s true.

Yes....but I don't live in SF..... I live in Danville..... considerably warmer here.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Yes....but I don't live in SF..... I live in Danville..... considerably warmer here.

Your right. My favorite area I lived in, in the Bay Area was Pleasanton. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1