Gibson Brands Forums

Best Way To Cover Up Pickguard Screw Holes?

FBr

Greetings All,

I recently picked up a new SG '61 Standard as a "hot rod" project. My first steps will be checking the paint on the body and headstock, followed by having a professional pinstriper hand-paint a white/cream flame motif on both the front and back. Since I want to maximize the visible surface area for the paint job, I’ve decided to permanently remove the pickguard.

Does anyone have advice on the best way to fill the pickguard holes and make the surface flush with the body? The areas with the holes will be painted over, so minor buff marks aren’t a concern.

I’ve seen videos on repairing larger holes using wood dowels and filler. Would the same approach work for these small holes, or is there a simpler filler solution given their size?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
FB

sg_holes.jpg

• Thanks 1

Cabinet makers' wax is your best option if you can get a suitable colour, but even then, you won't be able to hide them completely.

Products like Libron wax are the ones you need to look at, I'm assuming there will be other brands in the US.

Wax Filler Stick | Libéron woodcare (liberon.co.uk)

You will need to cut off a small piece and warm it between your fingers before putting it into the screw hole.

Posted (edited)

Very cool, thanks for the tip. I'm in Germany so Liberon products are available here... just found the sticks on Amazon.
I'll give it a try since the colour doesn't have to match, it will be painted over with the flame motif anyway.

Cheers,
FB

Edited by Finkus Bripp

2 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

My first thought would be a product like plastic wood filler which would dry hard, and smooth easily with sandpaper.

RBSinTo

Thx for the tip. 

18 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

Cabinet makers' wax is your best option if you can get a suitable colour, but even then, you won't be able to hide them completely.

Products like Libron wax are the ones you need to look at, I'm assuming there will be other brands in the US.

Wax Filler Stick | Libéron woodcare (liberon.co.uk)

You will need to cut off a small piece and warm it between your fingers before putting it into the screw hole.

Thx for the, Ian 👍 I also like the fact that it's a natural solution and since it doesn't harden completely, I could reinstall the pickguard with ease at a later date if I choose to do so.

• Like 1

This calls for a limerick;

Es war einmal ein Mann aus München
He posted here, that’s why I mention
His guitar has many holes
right there near the controls
To fill them and then paint them is his intention

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 
🤔

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

This calls for a limerick;

Es war einmal ein Mann aus München
He posted here, that’s why I mention
His guitar has many holes
right there near the controls
To fill them and then paint them is his intention

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now. 
🤔

6.5 for execution
10.0 for effort 
😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be honest, in many cases you'll end up making it worse. Even with taking it to a pro they will only get it so close.

Only a complete refinish will hide it. My advice is throw the pick guard back on.

39 minutes ago, duane v said:

To be honest, in many cases you'll end up making it worse. Even with taking it to a pro they will only get it so close.

Only a complete refinish will hide it. My advice is throw the pick guard back on.

Thx for your input, but the covered holes will be hand-painted over with wicked, villainous, wayward flames 🔥🤘

How about don’t buy a guitar with a P/G? It’s there for I think a reason, but I’m not clear why. Pick Guard. Pick Guard. Why would that be on a guitar ?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How about don’t buy a guitar with a P/G? It’s there for I think a reason, but I’m not clear why. Pick Guard. Pick Guard. Why would that be on a guitar ?

Dad?! Is that you?! 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I have never been a fan of the pick guard options on SG's. 

Taking it off is a sharp departure, whether you paint flames on there or not. 

I used to own this one, the 2016 Gibson SG Naked. 
Can't say exactly why I sold it. 
Probably needed the money. 

Wish I hadn't. 

🥲

gibson-electric-guitars-solid-body-gibso

9 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Wish I hadn't. 

🥲

My pickguard's coming off, I couldn't care less about scratches and the such. 
I prefer an individual instrument, and it's not a Custom Shop or vintage model, so hey.

To your former SG:
I don't want to rub it in, but that's one of the only, if not the first, natural finish guitar I actually like. 
That grain is killer.  It's a 2016, so maybe you'll have luck finding another one at some point.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Finkus Bripp said:

I don't want to rub it in, but that's one of the only, if not the first, natural finish guitar I actually like. 
That grain is killer.  It's a 2016, so maybe you'll have luck finding another one at some point.

Nah, I'm not interested in re-acquiring that particular guitar. 
Once that door closes, and the new doors open up, all I can do is to move forward. 

It was pretty though, and light-weight. 
Which made it for a great guitar to play during extended sets. 

My recollection is that I sold it when I had enormous veterinary bills to pay. 
We do love our dogs around here. 

😉

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Nah, I'm not interested in re-acquiring that particular guitar. 
Once that door closes, and the new doors open up, all I can do is to move forward. 

It was pretty though, and light-weight. 
Which made it for a great guitar to play during extended sets. 

My recollection is that I sold it when I had enormous veterinary bills to pay. 
We do love our dogs around here. 

😉

Definitely a good reason to sell anything.

• Like 1

Just mentioning, I’d go with a wood filler meant to be painted over, not a wax product.  The oils in wax fillers are meant for use in refinishing so they blend in with the top coats.  But wax would interfere with the paint adhering, or leach through  causing measles in your flames. Wax is used as a mask to leave areas unpainted if needed in design work.  Your pinstriper ought to know what to use if he’s a pro.  Probably runs into this all the time.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Just mentioning, I’d go with a wood filler meant to be painted over, not a wax product.  The oils in wax fillers are meant for use in refinishing so they blend in with the top coats.  But wax would interfere with the paint adhering, or leach through  causing measles in your flames. Wax is used as a mask to leave areas unpainted if needed in design work.  Your pinstriper ought to know what to use if he’s a pro.  Probably runs into this all the time.  

That's a good point, thanks so much. You're probably right, the pinstriper can surely lead me in the right direction.
I will just wait until he gets back from his vacation before taking care of the patching. Have a great weekend.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 6:28 AM, Finkus Bripp said:

Thx for your input, but the covered holes will be hand-painted over with wicked, villainous, wayward flames 🔥🤘

Like PrairieDog said, I'd be concerned about using any wax-based filler. It will depend on the paint you use for those wicked, villainous, wayward flames, but paint compatibility is always a potential issue when painting over the top of an existing finish. Because of that, if it was my guitar and I was doing the mods, I'd stick with nitrocellulose lacquer for the flames, and I'd recommend using something non-waxy to fill the screw holes since your paint may not stick well to something waxy. 

10 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Wish I hadn't. 

🥲

Wow, I can see why you regret selling this one. That looks really cool!

8 hours ago, Finkus Bripp said:

That's a good point, thanks so much. You're probably right, the pinstriper can surely lead me in the right direction.
I will just wait until he gets back from his vacation before taking care of the patching. Have a great weekend.

Have you considered getting vinyl adhesive flames? They would be much easier to remove, and wouldn't require strong solvents to do so.

A sign company could easily produce them at reasonable cost.

RBSinTo

• Upvote 1