Gibson Brands Forums

It’s Almost That Time

Labor Day is this weekend. That means kids go back to school, and damn lots of tourist have kids. Students around here went back last week. After Monday it will mostly be weekend-ers and Canadian Snow Birds. Yeah I can go out and get crab legs again without waiting in a line as long as the Amazon River. During tourist season, Friday and Saturdays are awful, as everyone is driving here to check into their hotel, motel, time share, or rental property. And then what happens, well they all go to the grocery store, which is where I work slinging produce. Seriously the day after L D is gonna be like someone turned off the light switch that got turned on after school got out in the beginning of the Summer. So far the 4th of July week was the worst of the Summer. And I have a dog that hates fireworks. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I'm sometimes tempted to pack up and move to a coastal location.  Remembering  the hundreds of uninterrupted miles of beautiful deserted beachfront in Florida I saw along A1A  for  years in the 70s.  Even the Florida Keys was idyllic. But that was then and this is now.  It's all gone. Too many people.   Even here, in the 'burbs = too many people. Roads are meant for half as many.  People get road rage - or go on social media and demand the local government do something to fix the horrible traffic.    At least in a beach community - you get a few months of peace and quiet !

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

What’s the gnarliest thing you’ve seen in the produce dept?

Any crazy spiders or rotten stuff?

I see rotten fruit and veg a lot. A spider in a banana box here and there. I saw more rats at Home Depot. The people are the weirdest thing. 

One guy came in and wanted Basil. We were out. After I told him that the next word out of his mouth was F-uuuuuuuuuck, really loud. You see people and they are dressed like they are getting ready to take a shower. People you don’t need to wear an Armani suit while shopping, but have the decency to at least wear something other than slippers, Family Guy fuzzy sleep pants and a shower cap looking thing on your head. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Man, why are these clowns letting you waste away in Produce when it’s so obvious you should be a Greeter….its their loss.

I work at a grocery store not Walmart.

It is that time.  We went down the boardwalk Thursday night, before all the shoobs get here for the last weekend.  It was nice.  By Wednesday it will be pretty quiet for 6 months.

rct

I live six miles from one of the most popular State Parks in Northern California. By Wednesday it will be deserted, our little town all but empty.  In four weeks the Autumn colors will be in their full splendor and this will be a glorious place to fish, hunt, and photo with no competition until Memorial Day. Soon, crisp mornings will find a cedar log in the wood stove and a hot mug of coffee by my chair it will be heavenly, especially if mama nature gives me a few feet of snow.

• Like 2

We live just off the St Croix River, NE of the Twin Cities. Unfortunately the only road that serves us is also one of the most popular drives for folks heading up north to Wisconsin in the summer so Thursdays and Fridays and Sunday nights are just one long winding stream of traffic in whichever direction folks are heading.  

It’s even worse during fall leaf peeping, with quaint destination towns and three state parks on the route.  

Our road is consistently rated as “one of the best fall day trips from the Twin Cities.”  You don’t know road rage until you are stuck behind a blue mini-van going 45 miles an hour on the highway, folks inside pointing at all the “pretty trees,” while your dog is next to you gasping as you are trying to get to the emergency vet with no where to pass for 20 miles.  I was sure she was going to die before we could get there.    

I want to put up billboards that say, “Folks, glance in your rearview occasionally.  If you see a mile long train of cars behind you, or even three cars, do a kindness and pull over on the shoulder and let the folks that actually need to be someplace get there!” Arghhh!! 

• Upvote 1

On 8/31/2024 at 3:20 PM, PrairieDog said:

We live just off the St Croix River, NE of the Twin Cities. Unfortunately the only road that serves us is also one of the most popular drives for folks heading up north to Wisconsin in the summer so Thursdays and Fridays and Sunday nights are just one long winding stream of traffic in whichever direction folks are heading.  

It’s even worse during fall leaf peeping, with quaint destination towns and three state parks on the route.  

Our road is consistently rated as “one of the best fall day trips from the Twin Cities.”  You don’t know road rage until you are stuck behind a blue mini-van going 45 miles an hour on the highway, folks inside pointing at all the “pretty trees,” while your dog is next to you gasping as you are trying to get to the emergency vet with no where to pass for 20 miles.  I was sure she was going to die before we could get there.    

I want to put up billboards that say, “Folks, glance in your rearview occasionally.  If you see a mile long train of cars behind you, or even three cars, do a kindness and pull over on the shoulder and let the folks that actually need to be someplace get there!” Arghhh!! 

I feel you brother. The home I grew up in, is in Barrington Hills, IL.   The road our small neighborhood is connected to boarders a massive forest preserve. My Father's property backs up to this road, [Bateman Rd.], and there is nothing but thousands of acres of woods on the opposite side of Bateman from my Dad's place.  Bateman Rd. is tree covered, scenic, and curvy, with no shoulder to speak of and tons of blind hills/curves.

For as long as I can remember, Bateman, [and many other similar roads in Barrington Hills}, have been listed as "Scenic Routes", and are frequented by sight seers in cars and on motorcycles. I can attest that cruising my motorcycle, [or convertible Boxter]  down these roads in Barrington Hills, is wonderful. However, these same roads are also a magnet for cyclists. You know, the 10 speed kind, with their tight fitting, vibrantly colored,  spandex unitards. No matter the day, there are always a few peddling about. But the weekends bring out gangs, most with 20+ riders, who refuse to ride single file, [as required], but fill an entire lane, while out for their "Tour du tard.".  There is nothing like rounding a blind curve/hill at 35mph, only to find your lane completely blocked with middle aged cyclists going 15mph.  It's one thing to hit a deer on a blind curve/hill, but hitting a cyclist is something else. First, in Illinois, you can "harvest" your own road kill, [after simply reporting it to local PD], but apparently that does not apply to cyclist "road kill". I can eat my harvested deer road kill, and even make a coat from it's hide. I'm told this does not apply to cyclist "road kill", even if your name is Buffalo Bill.  Secondly, deer typically do not carry cell phones with personal injury attorneys on speed dial. Now, to be clear, I am an avid cyclist, [who doesn't wear spandex, btw], and I have nothing against riding a bike. But, if I have to follow the rules of the road, so should these arrogant posers. [I mean the cyclists, not the deer.]

[as a side note, the State of Illinois, Cook County, Lake County, McHenry County, Kane County, and DuPage County ALL have thousands of miles of PAVED, two lane, walking/biking trails with-in their extensive forest preserve systems, which are far safer than narrow, two lane, no shoulder, hilly/curvy, public roads.]

11 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I feel you brother. The home I grew up in, is in Barrington Hills, IL.   The road our small neighborhood is connected to boarders a massive forest preserve. My Father's property backs up to this road, [Bateman Rd.], and there is nothing but thousands of acres of woods on the opposite side of Bateman from my Dad's place.  Bateman Rd. is tree covered, scenic, and curvy, with no shoulder to speak of and tons of blind hills/curves.

For as long as I can remember, Bateman, [and many other similar roads in Barrington Hills}, have been listed as "Scenic Routes", and are frequented by sight seers in cars and on motorcycles. I can attest that cruising my motorcycle, [or convertible Boxter]  down these roads in Barrington Hills, is wonderful. However, these same roads are also a magnet for cyclists. You know, the 10 speed kind, with their tight fitting, vibrantly colored,  spandex unitards. No matter the day, there are always a few peddling about. But the weekends bring out gangs, most with 20+ riders, who refuse to ride single file, [as required], but fill an entire lane, while out for their "Tour du tard.".  There is nothing like rounding a blind curve/hill at 35mph, only to find your lane completely blocked with middle aged cyclists going 15mph.  It's one thing to hit a deer on a blind curve/hill, but hitting a cyclist is something else. First, in Illinois, you can "harvest" your own road kill, [after simply reporting it to local PD], but apparently that does not apply to cyclist "road kill". I can eat my harvested deer road kill, and even make a coat from it's hide. I'm told this does not apply to cyclist "road kill", even if your name is Buffalo Bill.  Secondly, deer typically do not carry cell phones with personal injury attorneys on speed dial. Now, to be clear, I am an avid cyclist, [who doesn't wear spandex, btw], and I have nothing against riding a bike. But, if I have to follow the rules of the road, so should these arrogant posers. [I mean the cyclists, not the deer.]

[as a side note, the State of Illinois, Cook County, Lake County, McHenry County, Kane County, and DuPage County ALL have thousands of miles of PAVED, two lane, walking/biking trails with-in their extensive forest preserve systems, which are far safer than narrow, two lane, no shoulder, hilly/curvy, public roads.]

Oy! Yeah, we had those clowns briefly try to claim the same state highway one year.  Nothing like coming over a hill and around a bend at 55 to see a herd of them in front of you in the lane.  Holy crap! I think the tire squeals are still on the pavement there.  Then when you give them what-for as you pass in the oncoming lane, they give YOU attitude, saying “the rules say we have a right to the road too!” You may have the right, buy geeze buddy, along with the right comes the responsibility for having enough common sense to stay alive! But it does sound like your dad lives in a gorgeous part of the state.  

• Thanks 1

If bicyclists are breaking the law OR causing an unsafe impediment of the road - it's better to pull over at the next safe place and call the police.    Most of them in groups and outfits like described - belong to clubs.  Often with their club name on their shirts.   Look for a FB page to report your concerns to them.  Or, tell the police the name of the group.    There are probably fewer bicyclists who have a Death Wish than motorists who give them the finger.    They should be required by law, and through enforcement - to ride single file on the side, absolutely. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It’s like a different world here now. Went to Wallyworld yesterday. No lines at self checkout. Traffic is gone. Golf carts are back to a normal amount on the road. And it’s actually in the high 70’s instead of 95.

21 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I prefer tourists over transplants. At least, tourists have the decency to go back home.

Some don’t. They like it and come back and buy a second house, and a first golf cart.

• 2 weeks later...