Gibson Brands Forums

What should my next Acoustic Guitar be?

Larsongs

I have a 1975 Martin D-35 that my girlfriend, now my wife, bought me new. I have a Bozeman Masterbilt J-160E I bought in 2002. Both are fantastic Guitars but are getting older. I don’t want to take them to Gigs that much anymore. OK for Studio & Recording.

I’ve given up my quest for a great USA built Acoustic under $2000.00. (If you remember the Thread I posted a year or so ago).

I don’t want to spend crazy money for a Guitar that I will play out with & use in the Studio. But, I want it to be a really great Guitar. USA built preferred. I love Rosewood & I love Mahogany Guitars. Although, I’m leaning toward Rosewood. I love Dreadnought Guitars. I’d like it to be an Acoustic Electric with excellent Electronics that sound great.

In the past year I’ve had a Martin HD28E & a Guild D40E. Both great Guitars but I didn’t bond with either. I don’t know why?

I want a popular model that won’t be hard to sell if I should want to sell it down the road to get something else.

What would you recommend?

Thanks

Edited by Larsongs

2 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

These have been on my radar for a while now. Very nice.

They are beautiful. My first "real" acoustic was an '80 D-55 that I got, used, from a small mom and pop store. I think I payed $400 for it around 1987. It had to be the best sounding guitar I've ever owned. When it needed a refret, I traded in toward a new '94 J-45. Worst trade ever. I currently own (I believe) a 2008. It's sweet, but I still miss the'80.

7 hours ago, gearbasher said:

They are beautiful. My first "real" acoustic was an '80 D-55 that I got, used, from a small mom and pop store. I think I payed $400 for it around 1987. It had to be the best sounding guitar I've ever owned. When it needed a refret, I traded in toward a new '94 J-45. Worst trade ever. I currently own (I believe) a 2008. It's sweet, but I still miss the'80.

They cost 10 times that now!

Like gearbasher, my first "good" guitar was a Guild - in my case a D25 which I scored new in 1970.  Paid around $225 for it.  At the time it may well have been the cheapest X braced U.S.-made guitar on the market.  Since then I have owned two other used D25s and an F40 which I bought new in the md-1970s.  I think I laid out something in the $325-$350 range for it.  Never owned a D55 though.  I did have a close friend who played one dating to the early-1980s.  I swear that if nothing else that had to be the loudest acoustic guitar I had ever gotten my hands on.  Despite all of the guitars which have come and gone though, the one which has been a constant in my life since the 1960s is the Harmony Sovereign H1260. 

Edited by zombywoof

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

They cost 10 times that now!

So, twice what you were looking to spend?   Were there no  "also ran" suggestions in the earlier thread?  Thought you were close to pulling the trigger on a Songwriter a year back?   Rosewood, but prices keep going up -  I'm guessing you could find one new for $3K. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

So, twice what you were looking to spend?   Were there no  "also ran" suggestions in the earlier thread?  Thought you were close to pulling the trigger on a Songwriter a year back?   Rosewood, but prices keep going up -  I'm guessing you could find one new for $3K. 

I think I tried most of the Guitars from my old Thread. I did buy a Martin HD28E Rosewood & a Guild D40E Mahogany. Both were very nice Guitars. I didn’t bond with either. They’re both gone.

My problem is I’m spoiled by the sound of my 50 year old Martin D-35 & my 22 year old Gibson Bozeman Masterbilt J-160E.

I’m probably going to have to raise my sights on price to get anywhere near the sound of my 2 Guitars. If the HD28E & D40E couldn’t get me there I don’t know what else in their price range will.

Thanks

If it were me, I'd be looking for a used J-45 with a pickup in it that I could try before I buy.  They are great gigging guitars that really do work well for vocal accompanying .

• Upvote 2

I’ve given up my quest for a great USA built Acoustic under $2000.00. (If you remember the Thread I posted a year or so ago).

Have you ever tried a Gibson J-15? They're discontinued now, and I'm not sure if you want something new, but I bought my 2020 J-15 new for just under that price, and I think they're going for less than that now used. I may be biased since I work for Gibson, but I honestly love mine! 

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a586b1c4b47f004856493f356be588.jpeg

I’m most likely going to buy new. Mainly for the Lifetime Warranty which I have used on Martin’s & Gibsons a few times with excellent results.

The J15 & J50 are out of production.

The J45 & a Std D28 are still high on my list.. The M36 is one I want to try.

The David Crosby not so much. LOL.. And I’m a David Crosby fan. Great Singer. What a Voice! I think he may have been the magic voice of The Byrds & CSN.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gearbasher said:

How about this one?

D-11E-Rock-The-Vote_f.jpg?sw=1600&sh=160  Sorry, I had to do it.

I’m so inspired to cast my vote. Get one while can. There are probably only 47 left.

If Croz doesn’t do it for ya, how about whales?

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/DSS-Biosphere-II.html?cgid=guitars

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Killer suggestion, but a bit out of his price range I’m sure.

I was hoping for a USA high quality & great sounding Guitar for $2k or less. Doesn’t seem possible. I have removed the Price Cap. I’ll probably have to sell a couple Guitars that don’t get played that often. But, for the right Guitar it should be worth it.

I do want to try an M36.

16 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I was hoping for a USA high quality & great sounding Guitar for $2k or less. Doesn’t seem possible. I have removed the Price Cap. I’ll probably have to sell a couple Guitars that don’t get played that often. But, for the right Guitar it should be worth it.

I do want to try an M36.

It’s the only guitar I have a want for. I think they are well over 3k now.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

If a warranty is a make-or-break thing and you are willing to cast off your $2K limit, there is always the 1975-76 Martin D76.  The reason one would work is they actually come with a transferrable warranty.  Not cheap though and they appear to be very similar to your 1975 D35.  I have played one though and even though I am not a big Martin fan I really liked it.

10 hours ago, zombywoof said:

If a warranty is a make-or-break thing and you are willing to cast off your $2K limit, there is always the 1975-76 Martin D76.  The reason one would work is they actually come with a transferrable warranty.  Not cheap though and they appear to be very similar to your 1975 D35.  I have played one though and even though I am not a big Martin fan I really liked it.

In 1975-1976 I worked in a Music store in downtown Palm Springs, Ca., owned by my friend & mentor, the late Rockabilly Hall Of Fame Artist Jody Reynolds. We were a Martin dealer. That’s the store I got my D-35.

I am not aware of this Guitar? I looked at several YouTube vids. I dig them! Bi-Centennial Ltd Edition D-35. Only 1976 were produced. I’d love to own one! They seem to range from $5,000-$11,000. Pricey!

Edited by Larsongs

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

000’s are nice. Since we are where we are, I’m shocked no one has suggested the one the only, well there’s lots of models of them, the J-45.

A J45 is one I've zero'd in on. They're sort of like my J-160E. I've played about gazillion J45's but haven't found the right one to make me pull the trigger.

I'm not much into Parlor sized Guitars. Even though many do sound great. But, they look like Ukelele's on me.

I like variety. A few weeks ago a Gibson '06 L4A arrived (think J185CE). This week a new Martin 0012-28 Modern Deluxe. I have most sizes covered from 00 to Super 400.

FullSizeRender_754073ad-48bf-466b-b3b5-5

You have a Martin 16" dread and a Gibson 16" dread. Venture out a little bit. You shouldn't rule out the used market. If you find one you like but want to get a new one, it will be easy to move the used one. I did that with the 000-28EC. Bought it used, liked it, sold it, bought a new 000-28EC SB.

53976251528_9b47e900e7_b.jpg

I just bought a L4A off Ebay for $760. Not new but in great shape. There are bargains out there if you're patient.

s-l1600.webp

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

Oops.  The D76  that I was offered buy a close friend who owns a small music shop was about 10 or 12 years back.  It would have run me a whole lot less than the prices you found them being offered at.

While on the topic of Martins, did you ever consider one of those McGuinn Signature 7 string guitars?  The added G octave string really works,