Gibson Brands Forums

What should my next Acoustic Guitar be?

Larsongs

I’ve tried the Eastman thing several times. They seem great in the hunt, but when they arrive  your soul is left empty. Nice enough guitars. But no soul.

i can offer you more suggestions, after all I dabble in them all.

Here are my latest. The 50s faded on the right is insane. You can buy them new for $2k easy.

dL56c3xh.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Oops.  The D76  that I was offered buy a close friend who owns a small music shop was about 10 or 12 years back.  It would have run me a whole lot less than the prices you found them being offered at.

While on the topic of Martins, did you ever consider one of those McGuinn Signature 7 string guitars?  The added G octave string really works,

I’d love a D-76. I’ve never tried the McGuinn. Interesting though.

I do have a Martin D12-16GTE which fills my Acoustic Electric 12 String slot nicely. Doesn’t get played enough but it should.

3 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

I’ve tried the Eastman thing several times. They seem great in the hunt, but when they arrive  your soul is left empty. Nice enough guitars. But no soul.

i can offer you more suggestions, after all I dabble in them all.

Here are my latest. The 50s faded on the right is insane. You can buy them new for $2k easy.

dL56c3xh.jpg

Yeah, that’s what I kinda thought. Both of yours are quite nice. Are both Mahogany? 

On 9/6/2024 at 6:25 AM, Larsongs said:

I am not aware of this Guitar? I looked at several YouTube vids. I dig them! Bi-Centennial Ltd Edition D-35. Only 1976 were produced. I’d love to own one! They seem to range from $5,000-$11,000. Pricey!

Aha, , , , another speciality - but did mister Agnesi mention to which side the bracing goes, 28 or 35.

Have noticed more and more guitar-talk and tests avoid bracing-info - one of the most crucial factors about an acoustic. Of course there are many variables and it's basically about weight/mass - but still !

6 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Aha, , , , another speciality - but did mister Agnesi mention to which side the bracing goes, 28 or 35.

Have noticed more and more guitar-talk and tests avoid bracing-info - one of the most crucial factors about an acoustic. Of course there are many variables and it's basically about weight/mass - but still !

I’m curious about the bracing too. Scalloped or non Scalloped. D-28 or D-35?

53 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I’m curious about the bracing too. Scalloped or non Scalloped. D-28 or D-35?

👍   Important to underline both the D-28 and 35 are un-scalloped (opposed to the HD-ditto). But the 35 has slightly lighter braces.

Larsongs, I've been lurking around your interesting thread. We've all seen threads like these end with the OP getting a new guitar based on being blown away from a test drive experience. I hope you land on one of those.

Just a bit of curiosity. Are any of the new guitars you're looking at going to satisfy the wish for older guitar sounding tone, or have you given that element up?

A general query for anyone. Have any of the carbon made makers ever made their way onto the "great sounding guitars" list yet? Seems to me that if they ever do that it might be the ultimate gig'er due to durability aspects. Especially for outdoor shows.  

8 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Larsongs, I've been lurking around your interesting thread. We've all seen threads like these end with the OP getting a new guitar based on being blown away from a test drive experience. I hope you land on one of those.

Just a bit of curiosity. Are any of the new guitars you're looking at going to satisfy the wish for older guitar sounding tone, or have you given that element up?

A general query for anyone. Have any of the carbon made makers ever made their way onto the "great sounding guitars" list yet? Seems to me that if they ever do that it might be the ultimate gig'er due to durability aspects. Especially for outdoor shows.  

I did buy 2. A Martin HD28E & a Guild D-40E. Both beautiful Guitars but take me all the way there.

I'm really interested in trying a Gibson 50's Faded J-45 & a Guild D-55E. So far from all I've been listening to on the Tube they seem to have pretty consistent great overall Sound.

Of Course a Gibson SJ200 or a Martin D-41 are of real interest too but I'd have to sell some Guitars & I really don't want to if I don't have to.

On 9/10/2024 at 12:28 PM, Larsongs said:

I did buy 2. A Martin HD28E & a Guild D-40E. Both beautiful Guitars but take me all the way there.

I'm really interested in trying a Gibson 50's Faded J-45 & a Guild D-55E. So far from all I've been listening to on the Tube they seem to have pretty consistent great overall Sound.

Of Course a Gibson SJ200 or a Martin D-41 are of real interest too but I'd have to sell some Guitars & I really don't want to if I don't have to.

I meant to say, “but didn’t take me all the way there”.

My local GC has none of the above Guitars I listed to try. 

I just can’t find Stores locally that carry more than entry level, a few mid level & very few higher level Guitars. 

To try out several models new, used & vintage I have to take a trip to Hollywood Guitar Center & some of the other L.A. Dealers. 

I have had to buy new Guitars Online most of the time over the past several years. Hoping they send a really good example. Most Online dealers have no hassle Return or Exchange Policies but it’s still a time consuming hassle.. I’d prefer to go try them before I buy them.

So, I’m  deciding whether to Buy Online or plan a trip to L.A. in the next few weeks.

I’ve narrowed my list down to these so far. Prices range from $949.00 to $7,000.00. Quite a wide range. I like Mahogany, Rosewood & Maple for Back & Sides. Spruce for Tops. But, have an open mind. I do prefer Rosewood or Ebony for Fretboard & Bridge. Bone for Nut & Pins. Hide Glue is preferred. Not all of my list fit these preferences. I’m keeping an open mind.

Martin D10E, Martin D18, Martin D28, Martin D41

Gibson 50’s J45 Faded, Gibson J45 Std, Gibson, SJ200 Maple & SJ200 Rosewood.

Guild D55E

Edited by Larsongs

I'm near Raleigh, NC. I think I'd have to go to Nashville to find a shop with a decent inventory of new Gibsons. Might be something near DC (4 hours) or Atlanta (6 hours). Rough times for retail to be reasonably decent even if they wanted to be. A little better coverage in the Martin world, and lots to choose from if I ever wanted to dive back into the Taylor pool for the 4th time. I'm 0 for 3 in that department.

Lars,  In your area, are there no 5 Star Dealers who would order at least a Standard J45 and a 'standard' SJ200 for you to try?  They could easily sell them within a few weeks in a place like LA.  They are otherwise just grabbing their ankles and letting the internet sales market take away their brick and mortar business. 

16 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Lars,  In your area, are there no 5 Star Dealers who would order at least a Standard J45 and a 'standard' SJ200 for you to try?  They could easily sell them within a few weeks in a place like LA.  They are otherwise just grabbing their ankles and letting the internet sales market take away their brick and mortar business. 

I’ve had to buy my recent Electric Guitars Online. Which has worked quite well.  But, Buying Acoustics without trying is really hit & miss as no 2 are the same. 

Hollyweird is a 2 1/2 hour drive from my Desert Oasis Palm Springs. I’m not a fan of downtown L.A. I’m not thrilled with the drive & traffic to go there. I love that Store though! It’s the Mecca for Guitars in Southern California.

23 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’ve had to buy my recent Electric Guitars Online. Which has worked quite well.  But, Buying Acoustics without trying is really hit & miss as no 2 are the same. 

Hollyweird is a 2 1/2 hour drive from my Desert Oasis Palm Springs. I’m not a fan of downtown L.A. I’m not thrilled with the drive & traffic to go there. I love that Store though! It’s the Mecca for Guitars in Southern California.

I'm biased -  I've bought 2 of my 3 current acoustics 'on-line/on-phone' and had great luck.  An H'Bird TV (used/mint) from a GC (La Mesa?) and a J45 Custom (new)  from Rainbow Guitars in Tucson.   Used is definitely a crap shoot.  G'Luck! 

17 hours ago, Lars68 said:

This might be of interest…

Good video with several of the Guitars I want to A B C D E F G myself. A blindfold might not be a bad idea. Not so much to guess which Guitar it is as which Guitar sounds the best. Thanks

Edited by Larsongs

On 9/9/2024 at 1:46 AM, E-minor7 said:

👍   Important to underline both the D-28 and 35 are un-scalloped (opposed to the HD-ditto). But the 35 has slightly lighter braces.

D-28 = 5/16 bracing

D-35 = 1/4 bracing

Both standard models are not scalloped. HD’s may be. I can’t remember.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

D-28 = 5/16 bracing

D-35 = 1/4 bracing

Both standard models are not scalloped. HD’s may be. I can’t remember.

I bought an HD-28E & I didn’t bond with sound. They do have forward shifted scalloped bracing.

My 50 year old D-35 & my 20 year old J-160E sound better to my ear.

Edited by Larsongs

That must be one mid-range reflective room to hear a guitar in live. The 314 was in no way close to the D28 with my headphones on. I had a 314 for a couple of years. It eventually turned into my Hummingbird.

That J45 sounded nice. Warmer than my HC Banner J45.

I would have liked to have heard one of Taylor's Pacific Coast models in that test. Not even sure they were a thing yet in 2020.

7 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I bought an HD-28E & I didn’t bond with sound. They do have forward shifted scalloped bracing.

Yea, , now - but that's the new  c o n f u s i n g reality. Before, which means 6-7-years ago, the rule was three 28 models.

D-28 - Unscalloped with the fat tuners and black guard. The reliable but a tiny bit dull Nazareth workhorse. 

HD-28 - Scalloped w. the fat tuners, herringbone bindings and tortoise guard. One of the most sublime acoustic guits on earth,

and 

HD-28V - scalloped with forward shifted X, slim belly bean tuners and tortoise guard. An exotic quite monstrous creature of which one must beware. *

Too many from the 2 first categories had the disastrous gold foiled logo. The Vs all had the kool slightly vintage looking dirt-gold print. 

These days things are different. The V is out or replaced by the HD and the 2 others have changed too. Franky don't know what to look for if goin' after a contemporary (former) HD, , , , except of course if choosing second hand.  [thumbup]

*I had 2 of these and kept the wildest. It's a stunningly strong brain-punching 6-string, , , , but if it wasn't for my 1984 35, I would like an old HD too.