Gibson Brands Forums

Saw Willie & Trigger Last Night

zombywoof

Yup, we caught Willie Nelson's "Outlaw" Tour.   John Mellencamp launched into every hit he had back in the day.  While I was never a big fan, he rocked the place and seemed to be having a lot of fun.  Bob Dylan was up next.  He did play "Rainy Day Women #13x35" which I had never heard him play live and ended with a stunning version of "Ballad of a Thin Man".  But the last couple of times I have seen Dylan it is kind of like he is just going through the motions.   Then it was Willie.  While the word "icon" is bandied about a lot it does fit Willie Nelson.  He was backed by a four-piece band which was tight as it gets.  Amazing performance and just more fun than a body has a right to have.  Willie to me though is a "must see." 

Now for the gripe.  The venue is a big open-air amphitheater with both pavilion and lawn seating.  Free parking is out in a bunch of fields making it about a 20-minute walk just to get to the gate.  You can park closer in a paved lot but would have to pony up between $80 and $100 for the privilege.  But after making that trek getting in is like visiting an inmate in prison.  While I had been to this venue before, a whole lot has apparently changed.  The list of things you were not allowed to have on your person would fill a billboard with any violation requiring another round trip to your car.   My wife got stopped because her pocketbook measured an inch over 9"x 6" which is the largest size they allow in.   Then I got stopped because I had a chain dangling from my belt and was told wallet chains were not permitted as they can be wrapped around a hand and used as brass knuckles.  There was a watch on the end of mine and apparently the rule specifically states wallet chains so they let me pass.  But the upshot was we ended up missing the first 15 minutes or so of Mellencamp's set.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Saw Steve Miller a couple years ago and had my Leatherman Squirt in my pocket. It's like the Leatherman equivalent of a pen knife. I chose to walk the 10  minutes back to the car to drop it off. Except it was 20 because I got lost. But I still have my leatherman.

• Like 1

Saw the Outwaw tour the summer before the world closed. I saw Mellencamp, Willy and Dylan at Bull Durham Feild a few years before that.

Question if you didn’t already know the words to the songs. would you understand the words coming out of Zimmermans mouth? He mumbles so bad now it’s like Mushmouth from the Fat Albert Gang singing.

I took no weapons into the arena except my mouth.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

.  . .  Willie to me though is a "must see." 

Now for the gripe.  The venue is a big open-air amphitheater with both pavilion and lawn seating.  Free parking is out in a bunch of fields making it about a 20-minute walk just to get to the gate.  You can park closer in a paved lot but would have to pony up between $80 and $100 for the privilege.  But after making that trek getting in is like visiting an inmate in prison.  While I had been to this venue before, a whole lot has apparently changed.  The list of things you were not allowed to have on your person would fill a billboard with any violation requiring another round trip to your car.   My wife got stopped because her pocketbook measured an inch over 9"x 6" which is the largest size they allow in.   Then I got stopped because I had a chain dangling from my belt and was told wallet chains were not permitted as they can be wrapped around a hand and used as brass knuckles.  There was a watch on the end of mine and apparently the rule specifically states wallet chains so they let me pass.  But the upshot was we ended up missing the first 15 minutes or so of Mellencamp's set.

Just a sign of the times, I guess. So- was Dylan just going through the motions this time, or was he feeling gracious that night?

Either way, thanks for the report, and for the reality check.

18 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Saw the Outwaw tour the summer before the world closed. I saw Mellencamp, Willy and Dylan at Bull Durham Feild a few years before that.

Question if you didn’t already know the words to the songs. would you understand the words coming out of Zimmermans mouth? He mumbles so bad now it’s like Mushmouth from the Fat Albert Gang singing.

He knows you know his lyrics. 

Notwithstanding the First Amendment, your mouth might still hurt someone's feelings. But "weapon" is subjective. 

4 minutes ago, 62burst said:

Just a sign of the times, I guess. So- was Dylan just going through the motions this time, or was he feeling gracious that night?

Either way, thanks for the report, and for the reality check.

He knows you know his lyrics. 

Notwithstanding the First Amendment, your mouth might still hurt someone's feelings. But "weapon" is subjective. 

My tongue is pretty sharp. 

I’m sure he knows we know the lyrics. Mmmmm mmmm mmmm mmm mmmmm. It’s a hit.

All in all it seems you had a good nite out - and that's not bad, , , though security is a reminder of how things have gone worse. 

Keep a'rockin'. . . 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We saw the show at Blossom Center in Cuyahoga Falls, OH.  Unless you were sitting center stage you could not hear anyone's lyrics.  Problem is if you walked to a place where you could make out the lyrics out it did not take long for a state trooper to come by and tell you to move because you were blocking the aisle.  

2 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

We saw the show at Blossom Center in Cuyahoga Falls, OH.  Unless you were sitting center stage you could not hear anyone's lyrics.  Problem is if you walked to a place where you could make out the lyrics out it did not take long for a state trooper to come by and tell you to move because you were blocking the aisle.  

Hearing and understand go together, but are separate things. The last 2 x I saw Bob, I heard stuff like words coming out of his mouth, but my Bob Dylan Mumble Interpreter had the night off. During the show Bob was talking and my wife said “what is he saying’. I said “I think he’s introducing the band, but it’s anyone’s guess”.

2 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Saw Steve Miller a couple years ago and had my Leatherman Squirt in my pocket. It's like the Leatherman equivalent of a pen knife. I chose to walk the 10  minutes back to the car to drop it off. Except it was 20 because I got lost. But I still have my leatherman.

I keep my Leatherman in the glove box of the cars and had already learned not to try to walk into any venue with a Buck folding knife hanging from my belt.  If it had come to push or shove about the watch chain I would sacrificed it to avoid what would have then been a 35 minute round trip to the car.

We found the key to open field parking is to find some kind of a landmark.  We lucked out this time because were parked fairly close to the dirt road you followed to get into the place and there was a sign for something or the other right there on the side of the road.  But you heard more than a few car alarms going off as folks were leaving and trying to figure out where they parked.  Makes you miss the days when we had those tall antennas on cars from which you could hang something to help spot your car.

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Hearing and understand go together, but are separate things. The last 2 x I saw Bob, I heard stuff like words coming out of his mouth, but my Bob Dylan Mumble Interpreter had the night off. During the show Bob was talking and my wife said “what is he saying’. I said “I think he’s introducing the band, but it’s anyone’s guess”.

The last three times I have seen Dylan he did not even acknowledge there was an audience never mind say anything to them.  He just quickly went from song to song.  The last of those two shows he played only piano and I do not think he even looked up once.  From what I could tell though, last night Dylan was in good voice, played more harmonica then I had seen recently, and with the exception of "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" stuck with versions which were closer to the recorded ones.

7 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The last three times I have seen Dylan he did not even acknowledge there was an audience never mind say anything to them.  He just quickly went from song to song.  The last of those two shows he played only piano and I do not think he even looked up once.  From what I could tell though, last night Dylan was in good voice, played more harmonica then I had seen recently, and with the exception of "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" stuck with versions which were closer to the recorded ones.

Dylan has been in it for the cash for decades now - only once in a while he lights up. He can still do, but mainly is an automated tone'n'text muscle. 

I've stopped goin' but saw good gigs i 1978, 81, , , , then dull ones or disasters, , , , till 1996. That was surprisingly something. And he had recently been seriously ill. 

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

The last time I saw him, he played the first song on guitar and the rest on a keyboard. Other than him possibly introducing the band nothing else came out of his mouth but mumble-singing. Of which he is the best.

3 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

The funny thing was they were selling Willie tote bags in the merch section which would not have been allowed in.

It’s the same as airports. You can buy water in the terminal, but can’t bring it through security.

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

Some friends of mine went the night before in Cincinnati to see them. Pretty much the same response. They were really impressed by Willie and liked the Southern Ave group. 

We did not get there in time to see Southern Avenue.  At the time we had purchased tickets Alison Krauss and Robert Plant were scheduled to open the show,

6 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Did the have a joint inside?

Last year voters in the state approved recreational pot which went into effect last month.  As they allow smoking everywhere but under the pavilion there were folks blazing away.  We did see vendors advertising Willie's Private Stash but I did not look close enough to verify what it was.

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Last year voters in the state approved recreational pot which went into effect last month.  As they allow smoking everywhere but under the pavilion there were folks blazing away.  We did see vendors advertising Willie's Private Stash but I did not look close enough to verify what it was.

That's awesome. I meant it as a joke, but I never knew it was legal there. That sounds like a promotional idea that would sell fast. Does Willy sell pot gummies?

54 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

That's awesome. I meant it as a joke, but I never knew it was legal there. That sounds like a promotional idea that would sell fast. Does Willy sell pot gummies?

I did not see Willie's gummies anywhere but I get emails from Tommy Chong advertising his.

7 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I got caught at the local airport with a Trim (old combo knife) that I always kept in my Dopp kit.  Not a big deal to lose except it had belonged to my late father.  No time to go back to the car so I put it on top of a door frame, and sure enough, on return it was still there.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, zombywoof said:

Yup, we caught Willie Nelson's "Outlaw" Tour.   John Mellencamp launched into every hit he had back in the day.  While I was never a big fan, he rocked the place and seemed to be having a lot of fun.  Bob Dylan was up next.  He did play "Rainy Day Women #13x35" which I had never heard him play live and ended with a stunning version of "Ballad of a Thin Man".  But the last couple of times I have seen Dylan it is kind of like he is just going through the motions.   Then it was Willie.  While the word "icon" is bandied about a lot it does fit Willie Nelson.  He was backed by a four-piece band which was tight as it gets.  Amazing performance and just more fun than a body has a right to have.  Willie to me though is a "must see." 

No guitar report, Zombi?

Bob, Willie, Cougar? Guitars?

Band guitars?

BluesKing777.

7 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

No guitar report, Zombi?

Bob, Willie, Cougar? Guitars?

Band guitars?

BluesKing777.

Since you asked 

Mellencamp played what looked to be a Martin 000-18.

Willie played Trigger all night.

Waylon Payne in Willie's band though played a Gibson J200.  As the son of Willie's long time guitar player, he was the "Family".

Edited by zombywoof