Gibson Brands Forums

Favourite Amp and Favourite guitar ( not necessarily gibson)

Andre S

Wow a 8X12 I bet its fun to move around. Now I am next door in Ms and there are no clubs that will support a cab that big. I have played in Mobile also where in the heck do you actually get to play something that big?

The head alone is almost 80 lbs. the speaker cab about twice that.

Since i've never played a large hall, or arena (never been that good) I usually reserved it for outdoors, or indoor venues with no decibel limitations. Feedback has only been a REAL problem with hollowbodies, because I always get as far away from it as possible.

I used it once on a condo rooftop in Panama City Beach Fla. until the owner of the oyster bar next door called the cops on me because all his patrons had left his cover band inside, while they went out to the parking lot to cheer ME on !!

It's been heard clearly from 3/4 mile away.

My bud that gave it to me before he passed from agent orange cancer, had bought it in Okinawa(sp.?)Japan while he was in the Navy in the mid '70's and brought it back with him to the U.S.

I DESPERATELY want to have it rebuilt, but have yet to find anyone that I trust to do it. Any suggestions?

It may be collectible, its Id. plate says:ser #235, Made In Great Brittain.

Every guitar I own has a purpose. They each do something or give me a sound that the others cannot.

Thats why my choice will depend on what I hope to achieve at that moment in time.

I'm hearin you Deepblue baby!

I am the same

Matt

Favorite Amp setup: Split guitar signal to Modded Epi Valve Junior and Soldano HR50+ with depth mod, through Mesa Rectifier 4x12 w/ v-30s. Great combination with both amps running.

Favorite Guitar: I love them all but my usual go-to guitar is my Goldtop LP...and gasp...it's chambered.

Secret Weapon: Maxon OD-820 overdrive pedal for sweet, smooth drive.

These are the components of my Holy Grail Tone!!

Mesa Roadster w/Recto cab is my current setup and the best rig I've ever played.... as far as guitars I use Gibson Electronics and I play each them for a reason so really depends on the day which is my "favorite" but I turn to my BFG alot!

I wonder how many guys kind of fell into their current rig (ie other guitarists used a marshall so I'll use a marshall), and how many searched far and wide to finally put together THE combination of elements that work the very best for them.

All my guitars--even the beat-up Teisco Del Ray--have their own unique sounds which work very well in certain applications, and are played frequently. But the top prizes go to the '07 LP Standard Blonde Beauty with Burstbuckers and the '71 Hagstrom Viking hollowbody with Seymour Duncans (JB and Jazz wired for coil-splitting) with Bigsby whang-bar.

But I only have two amps--a Fender Blues Junior and a Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue. The Deluxe needs repair and is generally too loud to play at break-up volumes in my apartment (a cop lives across from me), so until I get it fixed and get a power-attenuator the Blues Junior is my main amp. Next major purchase--probably after I graduate law school and stay employed for a dozen paydays--will be a new amp, something with a really good lead channel. I'd prefer not to need any pedals except my Hendrix Crybaby and amp footswitches, maybe an A/B box. Thinking about a Budda Superdrive combo.

These threads are always funny to read because you know at least half the replies will basically be "I can't choose because each one is different, depends on my mood, what day of the week it is, etc". It's pretty simple though. If someone made you choose, which one would you keep? Come on guys, answer his question!!!

I will base my answers on stuff I actually own. If I had to pick my favorite guitar (and I do, because that's what you asked me to do!), I would go with my R8 Plaintop. Love it. The amp would be my Splawn Quick Rod. They are a match made in heaven.

Cheers!

These threads are always funny to read because you know at least half the replies will basically be "I can't choose because each one is different' date=' depends on my mood, what day of the week it is, etc". It's pretty simple though. If someone [u']made[/u] you choose, which one would you keep? Come on guys, answer his question!!!

Dont forget alignment of the stars as previously said........

Okay, if someone made me pick, for an electric I'd take the '71 Hagstrom Viking (because it's a little more irreplaceable than the LP, to be honest)...and for an acoustic, my '29 or '30 (we're not sure) Gibson small-body flattop--which in addition to sounding damn good has massive sentimental value as it was given to me personally by my great-grandmother who got it for her birthday from her father when she was young. If I could only pick ONE guitar of EITHER variety, then Granny's old Gibson wins hands-down.

Archived