Gibson Brands Forums

Degrees of separation.

Homz

Some of the dumbest people I know went to 4 year schools. Just look at what happens on a typical weekend around campus. Drunken a**holes everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I've spent plenty of time as a drunken a**hole, but it seems like the vast majority of college students spend more time drinking and recounting their drunken escapades during the week, usually way too loud, over a cell phone, using the "f bomb" as much as is humanly possible. Then they get their degree in whatever, and a lot of them walk around with a sense of entitlement to the bigger and better things their guidance counselors told them about. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I had to bust my *** to get a degree, and pay gross amounts of money to do so. Odds are I'll never use it, because the only job openings I see on a regular basis are things I would have gone to tech school for. But hey, did you guys see my Moby **** reference in the coffee forum? That was pretty cool, huh? See, my English degree is paying for itself already. Thank God I know how to cook.

More than enough time spent in school and almost 30 years getting them...

Perhaps all that hard effort and time ultimately paid off in enabling you to have collected, sorry - obssesed - so many fine instruments?

Currently working on 2 masters - Master of Divinity (Theology) and Master of Arts in Christian Education.

My Bachleors was in Theology too.

What does that say about a person, if anything? It can say a lot about a person. Being a life-long learner I believe is important. It also shows that the person is comitted to finish what they started.

Can you judge a person by the degrees he/she holds? To a certain level possibly.

Does education add to a person's character? This depends on the individual me thinks.

Does a person's level of education lead to a certain political view? I think it does. I believe that many students get hung up on a profs views and never take the next step to investigate all aspects and develope their own opinion.

Did I miss your input Homz? Where do you stand on your questions?

I have a PhD and a masters degree, and I gotta tell you, it gets harder to get a decent job whith every new degree you get. Most folks are afraid yo will take their jobs from them so they dont even give you the chance. I spent 6 months jobless after getting my PHD and just recently had to give up that job, due to health problems, after years of being there. It required me to be there as much as 10 hours a day and I just couldnt keep up with that and with younger blokes doing 12 hour shifts. I think I have enough to live with but if and the insurance should take care of most health expenses, but should I had to get another job today I don't think it would be as easy as a six month wait.

Some of the dumbest people I know went to 4 year schools. Just look at what happens on a typical weekend around campus. Drunken a**holes everywhere. Don't get me wrong' date=' I've spent plenty of time as a drunken a**hole, but it seems like the vast majority of college students spend more time drinking and recounting their drunken escapades during the week, usually way too loud, over a cell phone, using the "f bomb" as much as is humanly possible. Then they get their degree in whatever, and a lot of them walk around with a sense of entitlement to the bigger and better things their guidance counselors told them about. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I had to bust my *** to get a degree, and pay gross amounts of money to do so. Odds are I'll never use it, because the only job openings I see on a regular basis are things I would have gone to tech school for. But hey, did you guys see my Moby **** reference in the coffee forum? That was pretty cool, huh? See, my English degree is paying for itself already. Thank God I know how to cook. [/quote']

You are right mister, so right it hurts.

I left school without any decent qualifications. I can read and write, add and subtract, tell the time etc etc... The fact that I have no formal qualifications has never stopped me from what I wanted to do in life. I have a well paid job, a lovely wife and two great children and a nice home.. A lot of my friends went to University worked hard for their qualifications then did nothing with them...

My training for my job was the equivalent to the first two years of a law degree which had to be completed in four months.. That's my only real on paper achievement....

Regards

High school graduate, took a few psychology classes afterwards. I work in a steel mill now and feel lucky to be employed there. If it shut down, I don't know what I would do. That's where college comes in, I would be more employable with a college education.

Tell us your level of education.

Bachelor's degree.

What does that say about a person, if anything?

That they chose to continue their education and completed something.

Can you judge a person by the degrees he/she holds?

Nope. My best friend got his GED (he got kicked out of four different highschools) and completed one semester in college. He's also one of the smartest people I know and has always had great jobs (including as a commercial banker and as the director of a small business incubator) and is active with the local chamber of commerce.

Does education add to a person's character?

I think it helps to round a person out a bit, especially if they live on campus where they're more or less on their own and have to learn to live with and get along with other people they may have never met otherwise.

Does a person's level of education lead to a certain political view?

I don't know; maybe. My friend who I mentioned above is a registered Republican but he's pretty liberal with social issues; I'm not registered with a party. We share similar views on some issues and argue over others.

I had some college. In fact, I tried college three times. The first time, I left to become a bigwig investigator for a fortune 500 company. The second time I left to found my own business. I later sold it, went back to college a third time and left to publish my first book.

If you look at the number of successful people in America who didn't finish school, and compare them with the successful people who did, you find that the folks without a college degree are, as a whole, earn more than those with degrees.

What does this say? On the whole, those successful who are "uneducated" went on to found successful businesses and invent stuff earlier on, instead of taking the time to earn their degrees.

I see the benefits of both. But success ultimately comes down to risk taking. The bigger the risk, the bigger the reward.

Archived