Gibson Brands Forums

SG's THE BEST SELLING EVER AX MADE BY GIBSON?????????

James St. James

Seems like there alot of people questioning that the SG was and still is the BEST SELLING GIBSON EVER.

HAVING made a good life playing Gibson;s and still owning more than 35 of them I find that the SG has gotten a BAD RAP due to it's supposed DEVILISH LOOKS, LACK OF TONE.

LACK OF TONE.....if you're playiong a SG and have LACK OF TONE I suggest you get a new amp new strings and maybe take some lessons on HOW TO MANIPULATE YOUR GUITAR TO SOUND THE WAY YOU WANT IT TO !!!

MY FIRST GIBSON came in 1966 and it was a SG SPECIAL.......for $75.00 it was the BEST ax I ever had and I still own it.

How someone can say that an SG with P-90's has NO TONE is beyond me......then again anyone who says a FENDER st-RAT has more tone than a GIBSON needs there hearing checked !!!!

Most of my players are P-90 equipped and I play through the same amps MOST GIBSON players use BLACKFACE FENDERS.......between my DELUXE REVERB, SUPER , TWIN, PRINCETON, VIBROLUX all from 64 to 67 with those amps and the GREAT PRODUCTS GIBSON MAKES I could NOT be happier.

I would NOT say that the SG is my FAVORITE as I love all my guitars the same each one I bought over the past 40 years were purchased due to there different TONE than I got from any other guitar I had in my arsenal.

The fact that the SG was such a HUGE seller is due to it's VERSATILITY.....it's ability play anything from ROCK TO CLASSICAL to the BLUES and do it all PERFECTLY makes the SG a perfect Guitar for someone with out the funds to buy several guitars.

I personally prefer my 66 FIREBIRD with 3 P-90's in it and then after that my 56 PAUL NOT a re-issue is a TONE MACHINE....then run through the ES models with the 295 and 330 and 335 and 336 and 339 being my fav's...WITHOUT GIBSON I think I would be lost and have no idea what my music should sound like.

Now please DO NOT get me wrong as I also have s few FENDER TELECASTER"S a 56 and then a 71 CUSTOM and a 72 DELUXE.....giving me the best oif the standard TELE and the BEST of the CUSTOM AND DELUXE gives me the TWANG and BALLZZZZ not usually associated with FENDER"S.

I play mostly BLUES and ROCK N ROLL and have had a fair career with 4 albums and having had the opportunity to collaboprate with severalk great guitarist on ther albums has left me doing the one thing that I love playing GUITAR and making a GREAT LIVING DOING IT.

FOR THAT I MUST THANK GIBSON FOR THE GREAT GUITARS and LEO and FENDER RADIO DEPT FOR THERE AMPS !!!!

I am now ordering a new RAW POWER......I had an all OAK SG when they put put a Limited edition of em about 10 years ago....WOWO WHAT A SOUND......I am praying that an all MAPLE SG with 57 classic's will give me the same versatility as my other Gibson;s have and inspire me to write new and different sounding songs.

I also have my own set opf PETER GREEN HUMBUCKERS I made by sawitching the magnets around and installing them back in the same direction as the neck pup....that was how PETER GREEN got his signature sound.....now BAREKNUCKLE"S makes a pup already modified.....but it is surely cheaper to do it with a 498 ya got laying around vs using a new 57 classic to get similar results.

Anyone else getting a RAW POWER and if NOT why NOT ?????

I am intrested in hearing what other players with similar years in playing time and age would think......I am in my mid 50's and have been playing for 40+ years.

SO will you be looking to buy a RAW Power SG or not and WHY?????

DO ya thik the ALL MAPLE SG will have good tone or the player will be dissapointed???

OF course all caps will be changed to BUMBLEEBEE"S prior to even plugging it in....and after a personal set up !!!

Soooooooo how do you guys feel about an ALL MAPLE SG are ya IN or OUT????? and WHY????

St James

[......then again anyone who says a FENDER st-RAT has more tone than a GIBSON needs there hearing checked !!!!

You can't make flat statments like that. They don't hold water. Most knowledgable guitarists understand that much of what we consider 'good tone' resides in the fingers of the player, be that player holding a Fender or Gibson or Gretsch or whatever. Did Stevie Ray have good tone? How about Clapton on Blackie? Or David Gilmore? Don't tell me about your fixed concept of tone and expect me to put much stock in what else you may have to say.

I've been playing for 30 years...Since I was 14. As I began to make money with music...I invested it in equipment( I also work a regular job)

I have pre-ordered a Natural SG Raw Power from MF. I look foward to getting it. My reasons probably dont make sense to some...but here are a few...

1) different than my other Gibsons(look at my other post for pictures) No two are alike.and I use each one for different tone...or just because....I LOVE them all.They each inspire my Music in a different way

2) I like Natural Guitars...the only reason I have a few in color...is because they were not offered in natural

Technically my sg3 with single coils is natural...mahogony.

3) I wanted the Les paul Custom Natural with Maple fretboard.But I already have a Natural Custom.So I couldnt justify buying one. I still am thinking about it....probably to late for one now.They do not seem to be available now. My Ntural Custom is a '78 with 3 piece maple neck...The New Natural Cutom/Maple Fretboard is a CUSTOM SHOP model....all mahogony except the Fretboard and Top....Man I'm Gas'ing again....must control.....](*,)

Now I can get a SG that "fits in" with my other naturals...that should provide a different feel..and/or Tone.

I really like the Natural LP Raw power...but would rather save a little more and get the Custom Shop.

SG wise...I would REALLY like to see one all mahogony with a Maple cap (like my SG supreme BASS) In natural and have the traditional control layout. I have Kept hoping they would offer the SG Supreme in natural.

So in spite of the fact that I like natural.....the Raw Powers in color look sweet also....I like the gold top...black...yellow....Aww hell...All of them.

Dont you wish Gibson offered up the variety over the last few years..........When we were kids?

I will not be buying a raw. I just can't afford to buy anything right now. I bought an SG Classic last year because it had P90's and well it was an SG. I like that my LP is just different enough in tone but the same hardware as the SG. I'm too old to adjust to too many differences. No I don't get bored...

Someone tried to give me a Telecaster and I told no thanks, give it to someone that would appreciate it. Sounds stupid but I only played one Fender guitar and that was a mustang in 1965. I guess I don't care much for them.

I do love my Twin RI...

You can't make flat statments like that. They don't hold water. Most knowledgable guitarists understand that much of what we consider 'good tone' resides in the fingers of the player' date=' be that player holding a Fender or Gibson or Gretsch or whatever. Did Stevie Ray have good tone? How about Clapton on Blackie? Or David Gilmore? Don't tell me about your fixed concept of tone and expect me to put much stock in what else you may have to say.[/quote']

I believe St. James doesn't mean that Fender tone is way better than Gibson.

They both have different tone anyway so we can't even say which one is better.

You'd think they'd pay a little more respect to their "best-seller" when it came to reproducing those reissues' date=' right? lol

H-Bomb[/quote']

I agree with the Bomb, and have to wonder if something is up.

These stats are floating around, all over about the SG being so popular.

Seems weird to me, all of a sudden, because it didn't happen all of a sudden.

My next SG will probably be a '61 RI, that is red with "real" nice bevels and tapers.

I HAVE THE MONEY RIGHT NOW............... (if Gibson is listening)

By the way I'm 51 and have gigged bars from Clearwater Beach to Phoenix/Mesa, to Lake Charles/Sulphur/Westlake La., to Illinois/Ky/Tenn.

I'll do 48 weekends this year, booked through next Jan.

Classic/Southern Rock, Blues, Motown, Classic Country, Modern Country, whatever it takes.

Murph.

I am 42, and can barely play something that resembles a tune. I am seriously considering the Raw power but (and I risk repeating myself on yet another thread) I am torn between that, a P90 Classic and the now-lower-priced standard.

Archived