Gibson Brands Forums

Amp loudness question- Fender Blues Jr. vs Marshall MG30

hellion102792

Ok, so I played my first ever gig in a battle of the bands last Friday. The biggest amp I own is a Marshall MG30DFX, so it was all I could bring. Our bassist decided to bring his 100w Crate with him, so of course I was drowned out for the most part. I could only turn my amp and pedal board volume up to about 75% before my guitar started to feed back a lot (I don't think my bridge pup is wax potted), so I was stuck at a level where I was softer than the bass, who needed to be as loud as he was to be heard over the drums and vocals. And we find out last minute that there weren't enough mics to mic my amp to the PA. Yeah, it was a shitty sound situation, way too short of a soundcheck because they had to rush us through it. It's obvious I need something with more volume behind it (and better sounding would be a plus too, hence why I'm thinking of going tube).

SO

My question is, would a Fender Blues Jr. have a louder output than a Marshall MG30? I know tube amps are a lot louder than SS amps, and it said on fenderbluesjunioramps.com that it would be loud enough for gigging (though I know it would need to be mic'd for larger gigs). I'd love to go for a bigger one such as a Hot Rod Deluxe, but I'm a high school student without a job so anything over about $500 is out of the question for now. I've seen some good used prices on Ebay and Craigslist, some with modded speakers and circuitry which is apparently a plus.

Any suggestions?

I'm sure you can find a used HR Deluxe/Blues Deville/Blues Deluxe for 500 dollars. I got my HR Deluxe brand new for just over 700. Look around, because if you really want a gigging amp, the 15w Jr isn't going to do it unless you know for sure you'll be able to mic it.

Never tried the Marshall but I do own a Blues Jr and it's a pretty darned loud amp. What sort of sound are you going for? Heavy distortion is definitely not the Blues Jr's strongest suit so if you're going for some raunch you'll probably want a pedal to go with it.

Never tried the Marshall but I do own a Blues Jr and it's a pretty darned loud amp. What sort of sound are you going for? Heavy distortion is definitely not the Blues Jr's strongest suit so if you're going for some raunch you'll probably want a pedal to go with it.

Is it "pretty darned loud" or is it "loud enough to gig with." Because I doubt it's the latter.

My main guitar has a P-90 in the bridge, and I usually go for that growling classic rock/blues sound. I have a Digitech RP-1 which can help with a bigger crunch if need be.

And I don't really expect to be playing any huge gigs in the near future, probably just in high school auditoriums and the like if the band me and my friend are working on get going strongly. But what I'm saying was the Marshall wasn't loud enough for a HS auditorium, I'll post a video from Friday to show what I mean if you want. I'm just looking for something with a loud sound that doesn't muddy up like hell when you try to crank it and doesn't get drowned by the bassist.

Is it "pretty darned loud" or is it "loud enough to gig with." Because I doubt it's the latter.

Depends on the drummer, but loud enough to gig with for sure. I went to an outdoor party at Pat Dinizio's house (singer of The Smithereens) and he was playing through a Blues Jr. with his band.

Any suggestions?

I recently bought a Roland Cube 30X, and have been very impressed with it. I know your looking for something louder and Roland makes a series of Cubes up to 60 watts. They have built-in effects (reverb/delay & chorus/phasor/flanger), channel switching with the lead channel also having 9 amp "models". I've been a "vintage" tube amp guy all my life, and I've been blown away by the sound and versatility of this little Roland Cube 30. I'm sure the 60 watt model would be similar. The Cube 60 runs about $300 brand new.

Marshall also has larger models in the MG series, up to 100 watts.

I recently bought a Roland Cube 30X' date=' and have been very impressed with it. I know your looking for something louder and Roland makes a series of Cubes up to 60 watts. They have built-in effects (reverb/delay & chorus/phasor/flanger), channel switching with the lead channel also having 9 amp "models". I've been a "vintage" tube amp guy all my life, and I've been blown away by the sound and versatility of this little Roland Cube 30. I'm sure the 60 watt model would be similar. The Cube 60 runs about $300 brand new.

Marshall also has larger models in the MG series, up to 100 watts.[/quote']

I do have the regular Micro Cube as my travel/camping amp, it's got a pretty decent sound for it's size. I think I'm ready to give tube amps a try though, I've used SS since I started playing and I've always really like the sound of the big tube amps when I go play around in GC, especially the Fenders and Marshalls. When I played at a youth mass at my church a few months ago before we started going only acoustic for them, my dads friend (playing lead) brought a Hot Rod Deluxe with him and I loved the clean sound. Obviously because it was church he couldn't crank it to distort, but it had a really great sound to it.

As was already stated 15 watts won't be enough to over come idiot bass players or heavy handed drummers. 30 - 40 watts tho' date=' oh yeah. You can always turn down if it gets too loud.

[/quote']

Hmm, true. I'll have to keep an eye out on Craigslist and Ebay for a Deville or Hot Rod. And so begins the money saving again :-

My main guitar has a P-90 in the bridge' date=' and I usually go for that growling classic rock/blues sound. I have a Digitech RP-1 which can help with a bigger crunch if need be.

And I don't really expect to be playing any huge gigs in the near future, probably just in high school auditoriums and the like if the band me and my friend are working on get going strongly.[/quote']

Well, a HS auditorium is a fairly large room, particularly if the amp isn't going to be mic'd. For that situation, I'd go with something a little more powerful than the Blues Jr if you're playing rock and roll. You could do it with the Blues Jr, but you'd really have to blast it to get decent room coverage. I'd say you'd be better off in the 30-50 watt range just for the extra balls if nothing else.

Also worth noting is that while you can get a decent "old" sound out of the amp, it's more of the bright Fender "tweed" variety and not the growling Marshall type. In fact, I find the bass control on that amp to be pretty useless past "4" on the dial if you're using the amp's gain for overdrive as all it's adding after that point is mud, not growl.

I play small clubs and bars (regularly) with a Blues Junior! (I own the HR Deluxe, and a Twin Reverb, as well). The BJ is just fine, for small venues. Can even be used for larger ones, if you mic it! I did put a "Vintage 30" speaker in it, but otherwise it's "Stock!"

Our drummer is plenty loud, and the bass player is, as well...and the other guitarist (who also uses a BJ) and I have NO trouble being heard, at all! But...HR Deluxe and DeVille amps are awesome, as well. IF you are only going to play larger venues, and/or outdoors, then get either "DeVille" amp(s). But, in all honesty, I've never had trouble being heard, with the HR Deluxe, either! It's plenty loud!

CB

I play small clubs and bars (regularly) with a Blues Junior! (I own the HR Deluxe' date=' and a Twin Reverb, as well). The BJ is just fine, for small venues. Can even be used for larger ones, if you mic it! I did put a "Vintage 30" speaker in it, but otherwise it's "Stock!"

Our drummer is plenty loud, and the bass player is, as well...and the other guitarist (who also uses a BJ) and I have NO trouble being heard, at all! But...HR Deluxe and DeVille amps are awesome, as well. IF you are only going to play larger venues, and/or outdoors, then get either "DeVille" amp(s). But, in all honesty, I've never had trouble being heard, with the HR Deluxe, either! It's plenty loud!

CB [/quote']

Now I'm kinda torn lol. For the amount I gig and the kind of music I play, I think the BJ would be fine for me. It all depends on money for the HR and DeVille, even used it'll take me a while to save. All the neighbors hire landscapers, and would rather not switch so I can't really mow lawns all summer, guess I could do some busking though. And Squeezie, I watched a video of that Vox. I think I'll check that out too next time I'm at GC.

Now I'm kinda torn lol. For the amount I gig and the kind of music I play' date=' I think the BJ would be fine for me. It all depends on money for the HR and DeVille, even used it'll take me a while to save. All the neighbors hire landscapers, and would rather not switch so I can't really mow lawns all summer, guess I could do some busking though. And Squeezie, I watched a video of that Vox. I think I'll check that out too next time I'm at GC.[/quote']

One thing to keep in mind with the BJ is that because it has a lot of clean headroom it takes pedals really well. I used mine in the basement and rarely have the opportunity to crank it. So I run a Fulltone OCD when I am trying to get some good crunch. It sounds great.

The other thing I LOVE about the Blues Junior is the size/weight, compared to the larger amps.

A real bonus, when you're on a tight (room wise) stage. Bluemoon's right, also..about it taking

pedals well. In fact, if I need a bit more boost (distorted or not), I can use either the Boss Blues Driver,

(I use 2...one for clean boost, and one for gritty overdrive), or when I use my Ric-12 string, I can boost

the volume and add sustain/compression, with a compression pedal. The BJ handles it all, really well.

And, it's very easy to get to the "sweet spot" tone/volume wise, and not kill the audience's (or your)

hearing, in the process. Vox AC-15 is another good (tube) amp, in the same power range, as the

Blues Junior. Good luck in your quest!

CB

Archived