Gibson Brands Forums

Another build complete

ksdaddy

I know this forum is focused on acoustic guitars but since I spend most of my time here and you all know me quite well, I thought I'd post some pics. The first mandolin took eight days. This one took six months. Admittedly it got shoved on the back burner a lot but I think that's the way I work best; only work on something when I'm in the mood.

The neck is from a mahogany sticker (pallet spacer) from the lumber yard. The rosewood for the board was a bulk budget purchase on ebay a few years back (I'm out now!). The top was cedar kindling. The sides and back are black ash from ebay. The inlays are notched diamonds. The overlay for the headstock is a combination of black ash and a litle scrap of some mystery wood that looked lke a glazing strip or cabinet trim of some sort. The bridge is maple and I shaped the top so the intonation would be better without mounting the bridge cockeyed. I arched the x-bracing so the top has a slight arch. The nut is buffalo bone. The heel cap was scrap ebony from a D-28 bridge. The pic makes the top look blotchy, but it's not really.

I'm screamingly happy with the results although I can't play the cursed thing.

de9r2u.jpg

2ew0f4l.jpg

eb3pya.jpg

it's a beauty scott. interesting that you you state you can't play it though. i love the sound of a mandolin but put one in my hands and i'm pretty much a cub bear playin' with his peter. no clue. great work. i envy you your skill.

scott, this fellow: www.lynndudenbostel.com, is a friend of my brother's in knoxville, tn. i'm paying a visit in sept. and have been told i may get to visit his shop if time permits. it'll be great to see what goes on behind the scenes with guys such as yourself who build these instruments. prolly a lot of sawdust, huh?

ksdaddy- Nice work! Playing in a bluegrass band every Friday night, I see some really good musicians. Mandolin players can make a pretty cool sound! The mando player in our band has an F-5 Gibson 1967 model. Sounds really sweet. That mando that you've made really looks nice. Do yourself a favor and find a really good mando -picker and let him burn it down one time with a bluegrass band. Listen to it ring out and then set back and take in the fruits of your labor!!! I can almost hear you grinnin' already!

What did you use for finish?

I used spar varnish. I know that's considered taboo nowadays but it's very thin, dried wicked hard and will be bulletproof. I've been searching for a finish that is foolproof to apply, looks great, and is tough.

I like the shapes you choose. The wood looks great. Nice. =D>

I was strongly influenced (I realized after the fact) by the Japanese Washburn acoustic-electrics of the early 80s, with the oval soundhole and the headstock shape. Maybe not 100% but they had a hand in it I think.

Funny story about the wood. I had it all set up to sunburst, I had fogged on a little, spraying the whole thing with amber tinted lacquer, then beginning the burst with brown-red tinted lacquer. The sunburst was going well and then the airbrush SPAT about 17 droplets all over the top. In a snit I smashed the airbrush on the shop floor, then I remembered the glass bowl. Needless to say there is a lot of spattered brown lacquer on the walls, my bandsaw, my workbench, my jeans....

So I opted to stain it all. I had to wash off the lacquer I had already applied. It was not a good evening.

STUNNING! I got to play one (a mandolin) the first meet 'n greet of Homecoming 2007 when Mike's friend John brought his, which was a really old one. Of course, I'd had a few glasses of wine so I don't remember any of the chords he taught me that night. I sure gained an appreciation for them at that Homecoming because John joined us in the open mic with that mandolin and made us shine, despite how rusty my playing was. Then, watching Barry Mitterhoff play a mandolin..... OMG.

Anyway, Scott, you're going to have to come up with a name for your own company pretty soon. That is absolutely gorgeous.

Archived