Gibson Brands Forums

If Fender Buys Gibson

Archer993

There are no shareholders. Both these companies are privately held.

Basically' date=' William (Bill) Mendello, owns and controls Fender, and Henry E. Juszkiewicz owns and controls Gibson.

[/quote']

Even if there are only one or a few owners of these companies, these are shareholders whether a company is privately held or publicly traded.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am new here, but I think that would suck for Fender to buy Gibson. I play Gibsons and Gibsons only. I used to play Fenders but most modern Fenders I've played are inferior to modern Gibsons in quality and design. This is a bad thing to be talking about IMHO. Especially since it's all speculation.

I think people who complain about Wal-Mart, et al driving the Mom and Pop stores out of business yet vote for political candidates who actually hurt Mom and Pop by artificially driving up labor costs and creating more and more red-tape for them to wade through is as ironic as people who have a "Free Tibet" bumper sticker next to their "Hillary" bumper sticker.

I think people who complain about Wal-Mart' date=' et al driving the Mom and Pop stores out of business yet vote for political candidates who actually hurt Mom and Pop by artificially driving up labor costs and creating more and more red-tape for them to wade through is as ironic as people who have a "Free Tibet" bumper sticker next to their "Hillary" bumper sticker. [/quote']

so you mean anyone who votes for Republicans or Democrats?

and for the record, nothing is more ironic than people who have both a Dubyah sticker and a Jesus-Fish on their cars.

I think people who complain about Wal-Mart' date=' et al driving the Mom and Pop stores out of business yet vote for political candidates who actually hurt Mom and Pop by artificially driving up labor costs and creating more and more red-tape for them to wade through is as ironic as people who have a "Free Tibet" bumper sticker next to their "Hillary" bumper sticker. [/quote']

Best post of the whole thread. ](*,) lol

:-k

telespaul.jpg

Valley Arts model, correct?

Ignatius

EDIT: My mistake; the Valley Arts models actually have Tele switches. This appears to be a partscaster based on the '72 Telecaster Deluxe. They came stock with humbuckers and with a Les Paul-type toggle switch as in the picture. I like the color of this one, by the way, although I have always found the Tele Deluxe a sort of Frankenstein hybrid of the Tele and the Lester--maybe a TeLes Paulcaster.

Valley Arts model' date=' correct?

Ignatius

EDIT: My mistake; the Valley Arts models actually have Tele switches. This appears to be a partscaster based on the '72 Telecaster Deluxe. They came stock with humbuckers and with a Les Paul-type toggle switch as in the picture. I like the color of this one, by the way, although I have always found the Tele Deluxe a sort of Frankenstein hybrid of the Tele and the Lester--maybe a TeLes Paulcaster.

[/quote']

Photoshopcaster

.........................or a LesWashburncaster

Well in case you did not hear the news, Gibson Guitar has announced a merger with

the Danish company TC Group, the merger was announced at the NAMM show in

January. I am not sure how that will effect the US manufacturing groups. I have heard

rumors that Gibson is buying or preparing to buy a Canadian acoustic guitar company

and will be manufacturing Gibson acoustics in Canada very shortly.. here is a link to the

TC news item...

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/Gibson%20Guitar%20and%20TC%20Group%20to/

when companies get too big they become impersonal.

If this acquisition takes place' date=' pre-fender Gibsons will go up in value.[/quote']

Have you looked at the bottom of the main Gibson.com page where it lists all the companies that Gibson owns? I suspect that Gibson already qualifies as too big by many people's standards. I have to admit that I am more than a bit concerned by Gibson's and Fender's recent run of purchasing other instrument companies. They are tending to over-consolidate, and that kills innovation in an industry.

Ignatius

Please tell me when anyone wearing a suit & regularly using phrases like "strategic positioning", "enhanced portfolio" or "benefits to our customer base" ever truly gave a monkey's what the end user thought. If it puts cash in the shareholder's pocket, that's what talks. Anyone remember CBS Fender? AMF Harley-Davidson? Big conglomerates are the impersonal way of the world we live in, folks. IF Fender were to buy Gibson & its associated brood, I'd want to see what happened far more than I'd care what the PR b/s artists would have to say - and maybe I'd start saving for an Anderson Atom or PRS.

• 6 years later...

I was in a local used guitar shop yesterday chatting with the owner. He is closing this weekend after 11 years in business (siting the Internet (eBay) as a main reason for business falling off). We talked about a lot of things, one being Fender's continued interest in buying Gibson.

If Fender were to buy Gibson they would have a near monopoly on the musical instrument business. I would expect there would be changes at Gibson. I think you would see better marketing as, IMHO, Fender does a much better job of it. I wonder if Fender people would pay more attention to quality control in all aspects of production, including simple things, like more carefully checking an instrument before it is shipped and including model specific manuals on guitars like the ES-339 and Jimmy Page Custom.

Who knows -- it could be a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe pre Fender Gibsons would be the ONLY ones we all wanted?

Frankly I don't want a Fender guitar yet. I pick up a new Tele or a Strat and it just can't compare in any way to an LP Standard. But, that's just my subjective opinion.

What do you guys think?

They actually merging http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CFMQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fguitargear.org%2F2011%2F04%2F01%2Fbreaking-news-gibson-usa-to-purchase-fender-musical-instruments%2F&ei=jAdLU_SwCsqCyQHWxYCwBQ&usg=AFQjCNHTOVkKWr4YX9YMAIIv4v4Lc0LXXg&sig2=itOe79Y-GcVgVX5RC0tf0Q

I was in a local used guitar shop yesterday chatting with the owner. He is closing this weekend after 11 years in business (siting the Internet (eBay) as a main reason for business falling off). We talked about a lot of things, one being Fender's continued interest in buying Gibson.

If Fender were to buy Gibson they would have a near monopoly on the musical instrument business. I would expect there would be changes at Gibson. I think you would see better marketing as, IMHO, Fender does a much better job of it. I wonder if Fender people would pay more attention to quality control in all aspects of production, including simple things, like more carefully checking an instrument before it is shipped and including model specific manuals on guitars like the ES-339 and Jimmy Page Custom.

Who knows -- it could be a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe pre Fender Gibsons would be the ONLY ones we all wanted?

Frankly I don't want a Fender guitar yet. I pick up a new Tele or a Strat and it just can't compare in any way to an LP Standard. But, that's just my subjective opinion.

What do you guys think?

There's still some April foo's hangin around ... note the date on this announcement "April 1st" My link

Archived