Gibson Brands Forums

Mass Fakery

stevezapp

Check out the 'Gibson' guitars this guy is trying to peddle (click each image to enlarge): -

http://www.swapz.co.uk/swapz/721711/gibson_standard_american_les_pauls/

I have informed the site, and the 'swapper'. 100% sure he knows what he's doing, so I casually mentioned the consequences of owning/selling a counterfeit Gibson.

When will these people learn.

Yikes! I don’t think I’ve ever seen some of those colors on any Gibson LP. Still. As the saying goes: "A fool and his money are easily parted.” Caveat emptor (buyer beware) or more appropriately, shall we say: Caveat venditor –Let the seller beware! :-$

Play on!

This guy was selling about 8 of them as Gibson 'Made in USA' Les Pauls. They were horrible- weird pink/salmon finishes. The body shape was all wrong too. You never know, i suppose the guy could've bought them under the impression that they were genuine...

You never know' date=' i suppose the guy could've bought them under the impression that they were genuine...[/quote']

I'm not too sure... Below is the conversation I've been having with him today (original message at the bottom, then read upwards).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If they have a Gibson logo and aren't real Gibson guitars, they are illegal.

The clue is in the price. You must have done a bulk purchase on that lot for a very low price. A real LP standard will cost you £1700 new. An official Gibson replica is an Epiphone and will cost you £350ish. A cheap copy will cost you £150.

The fact you know that most fakes have three screws in the truss rod cover and incorrect logos indicate that you 'should' know how to spot a fake. So, this leads me to two possible conclusions: -

a) You genuinely thought you were getting a bargain and thought that you knew how to spot a fake or,

O:) You knew they were fake, but thought they were good enough to pass off.

There are at least three glaring reasons how I know they are fake, but wouldn't want to aid the counterfieter in building an accurate rip off.

If you are option a), then I suggest you take them back and get your money back, and if the seller refuses tell them you will be reporting them to the police (they will help you).

----- Original Message -----

ok, but they say there legal and they have a very good atention to detail with the 2 bolt trus rod cover and angled gibson logo.

Which ever website you got them from is scamming you. A licensed copy of a Gibson is an Epiphone. Get your money back sharpish.

i checked the website and there licensed copy's designed by Gibson usa. i apologise and didn't have any intention of scamming anyone. sorry

That's a nice bunch of fire wood you have there.

Every single one of your 'Gibson' guitars is fake.

It is a criminal offense to sell or posses a counterfeit Gibson guitar, and they WILL prosecute you. If by some chance you didn't know these where fake, take them back to where you got them from a demand a refund.

i have a redish sun burst, a wood burst, and a white to green burst.

all American Gibson les paul standards apart from the last one which is a super me whatever that is

ok' date=' but they say there legal and they have a very good atention to detail with the 2 bolt trus rod cover and angled gibson logo.

[/quote']

Just because of that...

Im gonna have to vote for this option:

:- You knew they were fake' date=' but thought they were good enough to pass off.[/quote']

The website admin messaged me and asked me how I knew they were fake, so I reeled of the three main indicators (bridge, body shape and colours). They were very appreciative and removed the listing immediately.

I should have saved the pics before they were removed. They were awful, and TGod, when I saw the Super Me bit of the message, I let out a bit of pee, I laughed so hard.

If this bloke is from Kilmarnock he's back, but now calling them "gibson american standard lespaul licensed copys"

link

Go there and have a laugh - they are truly horrible!

Stevezapp, presumably you're a member on that site. Would you like to recommend to the admin that they modify his listing to "pile of shite", or at least inform the lister that his information is perhaps still a tad untrue

If this bloke is from Kilmarnock he's back' date=' but now calling them "gibson american standard lespaul licensed copys"

link

Go there and have a laugh - they are truly horrible!

Stevezapp, presumably you're a member on that site. Would you like to recommend to the admin that they modify his listing to "pile of shite", or at least inform the lister that his information is perhaps still a tad untrue

That's the chap.

I've asked him to send me the link of the shop that he bought them from.

I'll notify the site admin now...

Archived