Gibson Brands Forums

How do you know you have G.A.S.......???

onewilyfool

Worth a repost: (updated)

How do you know you have GAS?

If you enthusiastically talk to non-playing friends about guitars all the time (regardless of their yawns and eye-rolls) You probably have GAS.

If you get excited when you see a guitar positioned in the corner of a movie scene . You probably have GAS.

If you sit close to the TV when a band is playing trying to work out what make and model they are playing, you probably have GAS.

If you have more guitars than your can physically play......you've got GAS

If you have some guitars that you haven't played in over six months....You've got GAS

IF you don't know the exact number of guitars you have, You've got GAS

If you get excited about when someone else buys a guitar in the forum...you've probably got GAS.

IF you spend more time scouring forums, Ebay, Craig's List, than you do PLAYING your guitars.....You've probably got GAS.

If you are sneaking Guitars into the house so that your wife doesn't see them, .....You've probably got GAS.

If you are thinking like this, " You know, I don't have a guitar with (fill in the blank) (Koa, Walnut, Blackwood)......tonewoods on the back and sides yet.....You've got GAS

If you already have a hand built custom designed guitar by a world reknowned Luthier, AND you are still looking for another custom designed guitar, You've got GAS

If you have some guitars under the bed, in the closet, in the attic AND your music room is full already AND you are still looking for another guitar.....You've got GAS

If you explain away all your guitars by saying."I am holding on to these as investments", You've got GAS

If the spouse is saying, "honey, please come to bed" and you'd rather sit up and pore over eBay lisitngs.....You probably have GAS.

If you find yourself short of breath every time you see a UPS truck.....You probably have GAS.

If you've ever caught yourself thinking, "boy, if I wasn't married..."...You probably have GAS.

If you have more than one guitar shop on speed-dial...

If you're offered an early retirement buyout and don't take it because you haven't got all the guitars you want yet...You probably have GAS.

if you haven't got time to play guitar because you're working a second job to pay for guitars...You probably have GAS.

if you read any of these and thought, "THAT'S just normal"....You probably have GAS.

If you are looking at a wooden table top and you are thinking, "Man, that would make a great back and sides to a guitar"......You probably have GAS.

If you have to build an extra wing on your house to accomodate guitar cases.....you probably have Gas

If you can't have house guests, because your guest room is filled with guitars......most likely you have GAS.

If you own TWO identical guitars, so that you can use a different sets of strings on the same guitars to hear the difference.....you definitely have GAS.

If you only buy guitars that all look alike (for example, only ever buying black guitars), so that your wife won't be able to distinguish one from another, missing any new additions......you probably have GAS

If the company makes two guitars exactly the same, except with different tone woods on the back and sides, and you want to buy both of them so you can hear the difference between the tone woods, you most likely have GAS.

If you have a guitar that is more expensive than your car, you've got GAS!

If you had to raise the coverage of your renter's insurance 3 times in the past year because of guitars, you've got GAS!

YUP If you enthusiastically talk to non-playing friends about guitars all the time (regardless of their yawns and eye-rolls) You probably have GAS.

YUP If you get excited when you see a guitar positioned in the corner of a movie scene . You probably have GAS.

YUP If you sit close to the TV when a band is playing trying to work out what make and model they are playing, you probably have GAS.

YUP If you have more guitars than your can physically play......you've got GAS

YUP If you have some guitars that you haven't played in over six months....You've got GAS

IF you don't know the exact number of guitars you have, You've got GAS

YUP If you get excited about when someone else buys a guitar in the forum...you've probably got GAS.

IF you spend more time scouring forums, Ebay, Craig's List, than you do PLAYING your guitars.....You've probably got GAS.

YUP If you are sneaking Guitars into the house so that your wife doesn't see them, .....You've probably got GAS.

YUP If you are thinking like this, " You know, I don't have a guitar with (fill in the blank) (Koa, Walnut, Blackwood)......tonewoods on the back and sides yet.....You've got GAS

If you already have a hand built custom designed guitar by a world reknowned Luthier, AND you are still looking for another custom designed guitar, You've got GAS

If you have some guitars under the bed, in the closet, in the attic AND your music room is full already AND you are still looking for another guitar.....You've got GAS

If you explain away all your guitars by saying."I am holding on to these as investments", You've got GAS

If the spouse is saying, "honey, please come to bed" and you'd rather sit up and pore over eBay lisitngs.....You probably have GAS.

If you find yourself short of breath every time you see a UPS truck.....You probably have GAS.

YUP If you've ever caught yourself thinking, "boy, if I wasn't married..."...You probably have GAS.

If you have more than one guitar shop on speed-dial...

If you're offered an early retirement buyout and don't take it because you haven't got all the guitars you want yet...You probably have GAS.

if you haven't got time to play guitar because you're working a second job to pay for guitars...You probably have GAS.

if you read any of these and thought, "THAT'S just normal"....You probably have GAS.

YUP If you are looking at a wooden table top and you are thinking, "Man, that would make a great back and sides to a guitar"......You probably have GAS.

If you have to build an extra wing on your house to accomodate guitar cases.....you probably have Gas

YUP If you can't have house guests, because your guest room is filled with guitars......most likely you have GAS.

If you own TWO identical guitars, so that you can use a different sets of strings on the same guitars to hear the difference.....you definitely have GAS.

NOPE, but not a bad idea. Note to self: Pick up a case of Bedford brown in rattle cans to burst them all. If you only buy guitars that all look alike (for example, only ever buying black guitars), so that your wife won't be able to distinguish one from another, missing any new additions......you probably have GAS

If the company makes two guitars exactly the same, except with different tone woods on the back and sides, and you want to buy both of them so you can hear the difference between the tone woods, you most likely have GAS.

If you have a guitar that is more expensive than your car, you've got GAS!

If you had to raise the coverage of your renter's insurance 3 times in the past year because of guitars, you've got GAS!

I'd say I have afew of the symptoms, but not yet hard core.

these were awesome the first time around...and even funnier now that its been a while since i read them

"If you already have a hand built custom designed guitar by a world reknowned Luthier, AND you are still looking for another custom designed guitar, You've got GAS"

hahaha this just happened to me!

i bought a custom made tele from an excellent luthier and now im going back to him in a couple of months so that he can build me an all rosewood strat!

haha

wtf!

I'm a songwriter, and often buy guitars because I feel they "have some songs inside". This is, of course, complete self-delusion and just an excuse to slake my GAS on a new instrument.

I have to say, though, all my instruments are played regularly and are written with. I find I go in circles with using guitars for writing. Of my last three records, one was written entirely with my SJ200, one was written with the SJ200 and Hummingbird, and the latest one was written largely with a J45.

Currently, I am finding my new songs for my next record (which are very fingerstyle-heavy at present) are coming from my Guild and my weird old '60s 12-fret parlour.

Jinder I know just what you are talking about......Jackson Browne was asked why he had so many guitars, and he replied that playing a "C" chord on any of his guitars, would lead him in a totally different direction with respect to song writing. By the way, I just got a 2001 Westerly Guild F-47MCE, and it is such a nice guitar. Can take any style, such a different sound than any of my guitars, it is leading me in many new directions too.......

i just ordered an epi '56 LP gold top w/p-90's. i also' date=' for the first time, just quoted myself.

[/quote']

A dream come true it seems. Well worth quoting.

Congrats Jeff. Don't forget to report in the traditional way. Pics/first song/bridge pins/capos. You know the routine.

• 1 year later...

For me, the realization that I MIGHT have GAS came recently on this Forum when someone posted an ad for a rack that held twenty guitars and I found myself figuring how many of them I'd have to order. (Finally I came to the conclusion that my money would be better spent on another guitar.....)

Jack6849

Just fyi, GAS can be cured (or outgrown.) I had a mild case for several years when I was playing electric and jamming weekly (though we never got out of the garage.) I bought 3 new/used electrics (and sold my first one), a bass, two bass amps, 5 or 6 guitar amps, too many stomp boxes to keep track of and built 3 more amps.

When my jamming buddies either moved or lost interest, I eventually sold 2 of the electrics (bought an acoustic 12 string), the bass amps, and 3 of the guitar amps. I am now down to one electric, sold all the stomp boxes, still have 4 amps but plan to sell two of them (the ones I built), bass amps are gone, gave the bass to my kid and just sold the 12 string (although I just got another acoustic 6 string.)

I suppose if I was gigging and making money off the hobby it would be different but my attitude now is, if I want something, I have to sell something to get it. I don't miss any of the stuff I sold and don't have to make excuses to the wife any more. Life is good. [biggrin]

• 4 years later...

Archived