Gibson Brands Forums

Strap Locks

Hey all. Late last year I was testing out my new Les Paul Studio with a strap... standing up, when the strap came off the button next to the net. I reacted quickly and caught the guitar swinging down. Ever since, I have been using plastic strap locks that go on top of the strap to secure the strap in place. Those strap locks were not too good, and they cracked into pieces when used. I didn't know of any other better strap locks. I also do not want to get strap locks that drill into the guitar. Ever since I have a fear of playing guitar standing up.

I could use some suggestions.

Thanks a lot.

I had the same thing happen to my LP studio, except I didn't catch it and the headstock cracked. Ever since, I have used Schaller strap locks on all my electrics. They are relatively small and unnoticeable for strap locks, and they are very durable. I walk all around my house with my guitar on, and when I'm playing I am not afraid to let it swing around or do a little dancing. My Tele actually came with the locks on it already. You would be screwing them into your guitar, but only after you unscrew the old ones- why would swapping screws matter?

Schaller, dunlop, or grover (which are like the schaller) are all good. Some like different kinds more than others. I have dunlops on almost all of my guitars, and schallers on one other. I'm probably going to put schaller locks on my SG when I get around to it. It takes some doing because you have to mod the screw so you don't screw it in too far.

Schaller' date='

you have to mod the screw so you don't screw it in too far.[/quote']

No you don't.

Use Danco buna rubber faucet washers under the Schaller pin.

Get 'em at Home Depot, ten in a pack for like $3.

http://www.danco.com/faucetrepair.htm

Bottom right in this photo.

faucetrepair.jpg

This weekend I'm gonna do a nice How To... photo spread on this.

Archived