Gibson Brands Forums

Whatever happened to the Capo thread?

wonderful remark

Hey Jeff. You're playing with fire here!

Capos are in the same category as Bob Colosi's very fine bridge pins and their ability to improve one's tone. There are some very firmly held views on the matter and seemingly very little middle ground.

I'm a proud owner (possibly the only proud owner) of a Kyser and a Jim Dunlop.

Hey Jeff. You're playing with fire here!

Capos are in the same category as Bob Colosi's very fine bridge pins and their ability to improve one's tone. There are some very firmly held views on the matter and seemingly very little middle ground.

I'm a proud owner (possibly the only proud owner) of a Kyser and a Jim Dunlop.

Dunlop and Kyser suck! Long live the G7th! =P~ (just kidding of course)

Flame.gif

because i used heavier guage strings, my problem seem to be not having enough spring tension at the 1st fret to hold the 6th string down fully. also, in light of the heavier guage, the 6th string pulls sharp. is there a remedy for this that can be solved by the type of capo OR is this just one of those 'suck it up' kind of scenarios?

You know we have had so many threads about bridge pins and capos........we should start a main thread about capos.......Kind of a "Capo de tuti Capos " thread......and if we could ever pin down just one thread about pins, or bridge the gap over all the threads about saddles......I think that would be good

I only use my Kyser when I'm changing the strings because it's got the death grip that I need for holding the string in place while I set how much slack I'm going to need to wind on the post. Oh, and I used it once for a large potato chip bag clippy.

I like my G7, but I bought a Shubb awhile back and it's my new favourite. It's light weight, adjusts to any neck, seems to exert even force on all the strings, and hasn't left any marks on the back of the neck.

What, there is something besides an Elliot?

You can argue all you want, but if you don't have one, you're just a cheapskate, and probably would have sent Tiny Tim half a left-over rotisserie chicken. But if you DO have one, you are probably an elitist guitar snob, and wouldn't deign to touch anything else. :D/

Flinx the Minx

bkharmony/ Whatever happened to your account....? owwwwww..... I just noticed my posts went down...

GG/ I used to use kyser on my cheap-o beater guitar.... but it left so very many indents on the neck... I haven't used it on my J45 yet :-({|=

I use Planet Waves NS.. but I find it that it puts the guitar out of tune....

flinx/ holy crap... Elliot capos look great.. but I wouldn't have to put my life savings into a capo eusa_dance.gif jk lol

Capo thread probably went top the same dark place my login' date=' avatar and post count went. =P~

But I get my Dunlop Victor capo tomorrow, and I expect it to change my life immeasurably.[/quote']

It will. Have faith!

As I said at great length before, I love mine. I have many other capos, but the Victor is just the end-all. It is, as I have said, the only capo I have used which actually makes my guitar sound BETTER when in use. I think it may be to do with the weight and density of the brass body.

Enjoy!

Got my Dunlop Victor yesterday. I love it, but the one I received from GC had grease all over it, was scuffed all over, the rubber looked dried out, and one of the little rubber pieces was askew, like it had been reattached. Pretty sure they sent me a returned item or something. New one on the way.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the fact it's bronze colored. Every picture I found of it around the web showed it as chrome. I like chrome.

Ohw ell.

I've always used capos, ever since I first learned how to play. I use them because I'm lazy and prefer open chords to barred versions.

I use a Keyser for my acoustic since the pressure needs to be greater to keep the strings down... and my frets are almost useless.

I use a Schubb for my electric to keep a gentle pressure.

The thing I don't understand though, is why my electrics always get thrown out of tune when I use a capo, even if I use a Schubb with the tiniest amount of pressure, just enough to contact the fret and let the vibrate properly. Everything from my strats to SGs to LPs, all the same.

Then I saw Trey Anastasio a few months back and noticed that for a few songs he threw onto his nearly priceless Paul Languedoc guitar, a Schubb capo. Not once for the entire hour that he played his electric did he tune his guitar. And, for a few songs he threw that capo on it and all the strings remained perfectly in tune. I was blown away.

When I play shows, I intentionally write the set list to have my songs grouped by capo fret, since every time I move it I have to spend 5 minutes and re-tune... annoys the hell out of my band.

i've always used schubbs after breaking a few dunlops along the way...it works flawlessly and they last forever. i think those kyser things (and the dunlop - that oddly really look like a copy of the kysers) look much better though, but i doubt they work better than the schubbs. it's simply a really well thought of and engineered tool, it does its job really well - the only reason why i haven't switched to another brand, despite really disliking the looks of it. so yeah, i guess that's what i'd recommend.

Archived