Gibson Brands Forums

Is it just me?

Gilliangirl

I kinda enjoyed it, but mostly for nostalgic reasons. The Death Metal days were fun. When it comes to some styles and variations of it, looking back I'm not sure whether we liked it because it was good or just because it was different, and at least trying to move on forward rather than stand still or looking backwards like most if not all other music did at the time. This particular style of Death never interested me that much though.

I still listen to some Death Metal bands. Morbid Angel and Death get some time in the CD player now and then, but mostly it will be the Stockholm or Göteborg school of death bands, since that was "local" for me. So, Entombed, Dismember, Opeth, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, At the Gates, and The Crown.

For Entombed I mostly go for their

stuff these days, or the crossover period of the Wolverine Blues album. I also like some of their later stuff, when they've changed into...

Used to like In Flames back in the good old days, even if they lacked some in brutality. They're no good these days though.

Dark Tranquillity were favourites of mine as well. Sometimes above average lyrics, enough speed and brutality here and there, an overall nice feel to their stuff, and as with In Flames the melodies, which are perhaps easier to like

the metal context. Also, death played on strats!

There's always a lot of talk about Death vocals, and the band that gets asked the most why they sing that way is probably Opeth as they mix both death style and normal vocals in their more and more progressive type of metal. I don't know how many people told me they'd love Opeth if they just did the normal vocals, especially nowadays when they're more progressive rock than anything else. But they still

because that what goes with the music.

And At the Gates were...

. Enough said.

That's a stupid long post that no one will read or listen through. But oh well. I'm not trying to "defend" death metal either. I kinda gave that up many years ago, and frankly I don't care that much about people liking it or not any more. Today there is not much worthwhile coming out. It feels kinda done.

All in all, I always preferred the way we did Death up here in the north. It might not have been all that fantastic music, but it was ours. That means something to me, cookie monsters or not.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really like it Cookieman! He's got skillz! Nice guitarwork too... (and so much better than the vocals from the OP.... =D> )

Does he have a CD out?

Thanks for the kind words ChanMan. Yes, he has 2 CDs out and now working on a 3rd. Life with a wife and 2 young kids takes up much of his time now but he loves writing lyrics and working on tracks to put his words on. Like I said Im not a fan of rap but if its got any kind of positive message now days Im for it and was honored that he asked me to play on it.

metal is even worse than rap..... and it is the only thing musically that is.

sorry to all of you who like it but...... well

It is pathetic

I play Metal and that's not it!!!

Seems people are too lazy to come up with a new description for styles. They just tack in onto "Metal". WRONG!!

Good Metal has Melodic Vocals at the very least.

I love a lot of genres of metal' date=' but Death Metal and its signature Dog Barking singing is just awful. even when it came out in the 80's I drew the line.

I am surprised by the "Metal" generalizations though, I mean Metallica is metal, Dokken is metal, Accept is metal, all of them fantastic bands.[/quote']

=D> =D> =D>

That video was real crap' date=' but not because it's metal. That band sounds like a bunch of no-talents trying to play Slayer but without the chops or music background to pull it off.

Here's the real deal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aHANlQ6gSo

If nothing else, you have to admire the drummer - imagine doing that for two hours.[/quote']

I love slayer...they really just said **** you to anyone who didnt like them...they really didnt care if they were hated on.

That is why they have the worlds most loyal fans...

I've been a fan for years, although I don't listen to them as much since I've mellowed a bit as I've grown older. The first time I saw them was a club that was in Trenton NJ called City Gardens;l it was the Hell Awaits tour. I saw them again there for Reign In Blood as well. The last time I saw them was just a few years ago at either Ozzfest or Mayhemfest and they still kick ***.

Archived