Gibson Brands Forums

I can't believe it.

DAS44

It is not a gimmick =D>

I resent that as I am a working musician and it is actually very useful, although I must confess as it is so new, I do worry about the grief if it breaks, and getting it fixed.

But regarding the original Robot I own and use- It stays in tune for days (maybe the locking tuners working their magic?), it sustains for an equal amount of days =P~ , it plays like a dream, has an ebony fret board and just feels great. And on top of that it tunes itself, changes tunings (within 20 seconds) and it assists you keeping the intonation in check.

Sadly it is an instrument that just evokes lots of spite. I wonder how many people who slag it's tuning off CAN actually tune themselves accurately? I doubt that many...

As with the clip of the young Brazilian guitarist posted by Axe, I wonder if the tuning accuracy, like the young mans formidable technique, intimidate people to the point of criticism.

Matt

Yeah' date=' cool until it breaks. Gimmick, but impressive. I would rather spend my money on a regular LP any day.[/quote']

Yep, one of my friends who has a LP robot Studio, his broke and now he can't fix it, and nowhere here can either.

I'm with Sear... I have one and it's one of my best all around guitars by a long shot... I've had it close to two years now already, no break downs... Tuning works great!! I don't know about the Robots after the first run bots but if you are lucky enough to have the ebony fret board you have yourself one sweet guitar that shines even if it didn't tune itself...

I've only had mine for a month or so, but I really like it. Whenever I use alternate tunings on my other guitars, it seems like they are constantly needing retuned....like after every song. This one doesn't. It isn't that I can not tune my guitar, rather, I get to spent the time playing it, and experimenting with other tunings that I most likely would never get around to messing with.

Long & McQuade up here in Canada is blowing out their supply of Robots. I picked up a SG silverburst for $999 Canadian (about $899 USD), never used, still sealed in the original shipping box. And, I picked up the Explorer for $1125 Canadian (about $1012 USD) same deal, still in the original shipping box.

The fretboards are amazing. The finishes are amazing. I love the locking tuners. I know some think they are a gimmic, but even if you just use it as a "regular" guitar, you can tune it as normal. It still looks and plays like an amazing Gibson guitar.

I am confused and probably gonna get SO FLAMED for this, but I am 100 kiles from home alone in a hotel.

What is a Robot in the Gibson sense?

Now BEFORE you answer, my guitars do not go out of tune for a week or so unless Sear CRIPPLES the wammy, so please explain t the new guy?

I am confused and probably gonna get SO FLAMED for this' date=' but I am 100 kiles from home alone in a hotel.

What is a Robot in the Gibson sense?

Now BEFORE you answer, my guitars do not go out of tune for a week or so unless Sear CRIPPLES the wammy, so please explain t the new guy?[/quote']

The Robot series guitar is a guitar that tunes its self, it can go to normal tuning from a diffrent tuning in seconds. It's a good guitar but some think its trash.

Are they hardware or software' date=' they are software. IE the string actually stay to pitch and the guitar has a small computer in it and it does a conversion between the actual pitch of the strings to the pitch I program the guitar too. We are bringing some new material on line this weekend with the band and one of those tunes is Honky Tonk by the Stones and I have the guitar programed to go to a Tele middle position in regards to the pups and open G tuning. We are also doing When the Levee Breaks and from what I have found (and it works playing with the tune) the strings are tuned to F-A-C-F-A-C so I programed a patch for a Les Paul model with that tuning.

The only real drawback is the power consumption which is a 9 volt battery in less than a hour. I have a external power supply and the Pod XtLive also has the ability to power the guitar when its connected to the guitar via a Cat5 cable. Some cool stuff here. Some of the patches are cold and digital but for what I purchased the guitar for (different tunings and playing tunes that jump from Acoustic to Electric and back).

[/quote']

Hi Jocko

That is like the Fender VG guitar. My complaint with the Fender (and probably this) is that it is okay if you are cranked up playing rock, but playing in a small jazz ensemble for instance, the sound of the strings (even though it is barely audible) and the sound through the amp in a different key would cause personal turbulence. My ears would register this and hurt! LOL

Cool, I would love to hear When The Levee Breaks Jocko!

Matt

I don't perform loudly enough to get one, but if I did I would be after either the Fender or the Variax. Yes it is a real weakness, but the idea behind it is awesome and I am completely up for living in the now LOL...

I don't have a technical bone in my body but I respect and am passionate about moving forward.

I think if you want purity, play an acoustic guitar. The moment you adhere to an electric guitar it has already been bastardized so may as well go the the full hog in my opinion! Bring on the advancement that technology brings; when I seek purity I will open my Classical guitar case.

Matt

DeVinci13, I would love to see pictures of that SG. I would love a SB SG! Had the chance to buy a SB Standard back in 2007 and wish I did.

Robot owners - really glad you like them and it's a great idea; especially, for guys who gig. My only concern with them is, and I've been told, that Gibson will not offer parts forever. At some point in the future, you won't be able to fix it if it does break down. Sure, people say you can just replace the tuners and tune it yourself but then why did you buy it in the first place? The guys that paid over $2,000 for them essentially paid twice the going rate of a regular Studio just to have a regular Studio.

BUT

Now that they're being cleared out for ~$1,000, I think it's a no brainer if you're in the market for a new SG or Explorer or V.

Robot SGs come with bound necks & inlays. $1,000 CDN for an SG with a bound neck & inlays. That's insane!!

Btw, do you gents know why Gibson is clearing them?

I heard the next gen of Robots is on their way...

It is not a gimmick :)

Au contraire :)

It is a gimmick.

I'm sure that lotsa people can explain for days how useful and handy it is.

I don't doubt it's cooler 'n hell.

I too worry about the grief if it breaks' date=' and getting it fixed.

How long will Gibson source parts for it after it goes the way of the Dodo Bird and the Fender VG?

And the prices you guys are quoting here makes me wonder about the first eager "gotta have it" guys who paid big bucks only to watch them get blown out at fire sale prices.

I believe I was witness to one guy paying a grand total of $3,600 for one early this year at Guitar Center.

To say it plays like a dream and just feels great lends creedence to one thing I've chuckled about from the start.

Wonder how precisely the nut is cut on [b']these[/b] Gibsons.... :-)

We all know Gibson would put their best foot forward whan they wanna make a big splash.

To say it just evokes lots of spite is disingenuous.

YOU'RE the one with the hi-tech crutch calling my tuning ability into question.

:D/

To me, it's yet one more answer to a question I never asked.

I don't do gimmickery.

As with the clip of the young Brazilian guitarist posted by Axe, I can assure you that the tuning accuracy is one thing, while the young mans' formidable technique is quite another.

I don't get intimidated to the point of criticism.

If the guy can play, he can play.

LOTS of people play circles around me - I give them their due respect.

Guitar playing is not a pissing match for me.

If the Robot gives you the warm fuzzies that you want, go for it.

When it takes a dump and is electronically neutered but still functional I'll resist snickering in your presence.

:-$=;#-o

Watch and learn Grasshoppa...

#-o/

Seriously, I probably come across as a pr!ck on some of this stuff - not my intent.

I really am smiling when I type it and I hope people aren't terribly offended knowing I'm just using some hyperbole and wit in addition to my observations, however true they may be.

The guys that love 'em can rock out all they want and I hope the Robots work for years with no trouble.

It's just that I'm a skeptic by nature and a bit of a traditionalist.

Change simply for the sake of change isn't doing anybody any good.

Watch and learn Grasshoppa...

Seriously' date=' I probably come across as a pr!ck on some of this stuff - not my intent.

[/quote']

A little :-k , although as you have said it is your brand of wit and clever use of hyperbole":d/

I didn't call your tuning into question, you have elected yourself into that statement and responded maybe a little personally :)

Matt

ps

The definition of a a gimmick is something that is a novelty, something superficial... a 'spectacle' and nothing more...

Is using it as a tool, when performing, to improve the performance of a set, something that fits the above description? No :-k :D/ :D/

Like I say, if you want purity, buy a Classical Guitar and learn to make the sounds with your own fingers. It doesn't get much 'purer' than that- Accept a bastardized guitar (an electric guitar) and purity has already been swapped for technology, so why stop embracing the new?

I have had it almost two years. If it breaks, it breaks!! £600 a year is not a lot of money, for the hours of pleasure it has given me already.

hmmm, maybe I would buy a new Robot, and just use my existing one as a manual guitar, after all it plays like a dream :)

No doubt the technology and price in the not too distant future, will mean I can just install another tuning system on it anyway. Eventually when the technology is more refined, accessible and cost effective I would certainly consider adding the system to my existing guitars. I am not all paranoid and scar mongered into the great unknown of it going wrong LMAO.

On a side note I can see this changing other instruments too. Harpsichord and Piano would benefit from this technology greatly, as would a lute. With a Lute of course it would perhaps need to be even smaller and not affect thetone.

Matt

DeVinci13' date=' I would love to see pictures of that SG. I would love a SB SG! Had the chance to buy a SB Standard back in 2007 and wish I did.

Robot owners - really glad you like them and it's a great idea; especially, for guys who gig. My only concern with them is, and I've been told, that Gibson will not offer parts forever. At some point in the future, you won't be able to fix it if it does break down. Sure, people say you can just replace the tuners and tune it yourself but then why did you buy it in the first place? The guys that paid over $2,000 for them essentially paid twice the going rate of a regular Studio just to have a regular Studio.

BUT

Now that they're being cleared out for ~$1,000, I think it's a no brainer if you're in the market for a new SG or Explorer or V.

Robot SGs come with bound necks & inlays. $1,000 CDN for an SG with a bound neck & inlays. That's insane!!

Btw, do you gents know why Gibson is clearing them?

I heard the next gen of Robots is on their way...[/quote']

You could be right there Tim... Gibson did the same thing just before the dark Fire came out too... As far as the tuners and your Robot is going to break down one day well so be it. In the mean time I've got a great guitar I love and it works great. If a tuner goes out you don't have to change it, just disengage the tuner shaft and you can tune it manually just like any other guitar.

Whats that post to mean?

You summed up the guest of the Robot for Chris_dude very nicely when you said:

The Robot series guitar is a guitar that tunes its self' date=' it can go to normal tuning from a diffrent tuning in seconds. It's a good guitar but some think its trash. [/quote']

Concise and to the point....

Archived