Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Setup Rant

sok66

I scored a new '59 Reissue ES335 this past week. When it arrived it was, as expected, a beauty. (Gibson's current cases suck, but that's another topic.) Anyway, I gleefully tuned it up, plugged it in and started playing it & checking out the setup. After a few minutes I'm going "WTF? Who set this thing up?" The first fret string clearance was either as high as a cheeze slicer on the bass side, or buzzing the first fret on the first string. Nut wasn't even close to being cut correctly. Then I checked out spacing at the bridge and the radius, neither are even close to being right. In the end I had to completely replace the nut, and re-do the string slots at the bridge to get the radius to match the board. During the nut work I found that the frets are higher on the treble side than on the bass side by about .002"! Lastly, they didn't drill the holes for the bridge studs in at the correct angle, so the saddles can barely be adjusted back far enough to set the intonation.

Look, Gibson, for this much green one expects you characters to spend enough time to set the basics right. Does someone need to come teach you guys how to do this, or are you just in too big a hurry to care? Either way, a $200 Korean import would show up better than this guy. Man!!!!!!!!!

2009Gibson59ES335ReissueWeb.jpg

I really love Gibsons but I don't expect the factory set ups to be any good. Knowing that the neck will need to be set up, the trick is to pick a guitar that can be set up by some one who knows what they are doing to improve the playability of the guitar.

All of my Gibsons have needed work when I initially bought them and some of them have needed two goes by a high quality luthier before they play really well.

I haven't noticed any change in the need to have new guitars professionally set up over the years. My '74 Les Paul Custom which I bought new and still own has a great neck but when I bought it, it had to be set up to be comfortable to play!! My new (purchased in 2008) J185 was initially terrible but is now great and so on!

By the way really nice looking ES!

Thanks! I've been around these things long enough to know how to put them right, I just don't expect to have to do the same amount of work (new NUT????) on a $5,000+ list price guitar as I do on a $50 pile of junk 0from Wal Mart. How in heaven's name they let something this bad out the door of the factory is an utter mystery to me.

Wow.

I've never had an issue......

Best of luck.

I'm lucky, because, with my two guitars purchase online, Gibson Les Paul Studio and Martin OM-1, neither of them had any problems, when they came. In fact they seemed perfect out of the box, or rather case. However this could be because, before I was accustomed to a classical guitar, and their fingerboards are wide and flat, so that may be it, But I never had any cause to adjust my Gibson nor Martin.

The intonation was off on every new Gibson I bought. I know for a fact they do only a quick setup at the factory. Still, I'm sure that the intonation was fine when it left, but shipping may cause issues. Once I set the intonation, then the rest to me is just taste...

The intonation was off on every new Gibson I bought. I know for a fact they do only a quick setup at the factory. Still' date=' I'm sure that the intonation was fine when it left, but shipping may cause issues. Once I set the intonation, then the rest to me is just taste... [/quote']

HA me to, I really don't expect a guy doing 30 setups a day to do them correct.

I have been disappointed with almost every guitar that I purchased until I had them set up,

with the exception of my PRS...it was perfect

Sh_t happens! :-

My spanking new, custom black beauty LP was delivered with some serious fret buzz to the point that Sam Ash could not fix. It was later replaced by PRS Santana III.

Personally, I found that Gibson quality control does not exists. Whatever comes off the assembly lines gets shipped. I only wished PRS could make the Gibson hollowbodies.

Jazz.

Here is a Well Placed Axe. Everything turned out Nice.

Length of the neck. Placement of the Frets with-in its Scale

and Even the Nut was Good. It Plays Like a Dream.

All the notes up and Down the neck are Real Close.

Notice the Bridge Saddle Positions. For Some Reason if Everything is Good and intonation is Right on

and it Plays and Sounds Good, they Always end up in this Position.

They Should Kinda Look like 2 Groups. With the "Low E" & "G" strings Saddles Back

and the "D" & high "E" Saddles foward with the others inbetween.

001.jpg

I've Had Gibson's that the Saddles ended up being Straight and Way back

and Got Rid of them because they never sounded right (no matter what was done to them)

or as good as the ones that their Saddles ended up in the position in the Photo.

I have been disappointed with almost every guitar that I purchased until I had them set up' date='

with the exception of my PRS...it was perfect[/quote']

Well, PRS as well as Taylor are in a completely different world in terms of both setup and support...

Why did you Keep it? You Have no Range Left on the Bridge Saddles and none of them

are Foward. They are all in a Straight Line[-x

If you look closely they are in their proper stagger, but with almost no rearward travel left. The studs are drilled at the wrong angle, so they tilt forward slightly. (Nice to see Gibson bringing back a "vintage production defect" from the late 60s / early 70s!). The fix is to plug the holes, then re-drill at the proper angle as I had to do with my '06 Les Paul '59 RI VOS. Good to know Gibson is at least consistent in their FU's, because that one needed a new nut, too!

I have 5 guitars and only the two from Gibson had to go straight to the luthier before they could be played. PRS and Reverend seem to be best "out of the box". However I can't seem to put my Gibsons down once I start playing. Oh wait, that's because I can't get my hand free from the sticky necks. :-

Its not just Gibson that need to be set up off the shelf or when new!! I've had a brand new Taylor that needed a lot of setting up because the neck kept moving. It seems to have settled now that its 3 years old. And I have owned PRS's and Martins that have needed to be set up. I guess for me every new guitar needs to be set up in a manner that suits me! The only real concern for me is if the neck is so bad that it can't be salvaged.

Archived