Gibson Brands Forums

Buckethead - Signature Les Paul Announced!

mcmurray

Regarding the baritone tunings. I tried some of that yesterday, using the VG-99 (a cracking contraption!).

Major confusion ensued. I'm obviously not ready for that quite yet. I'll stick to standard tuning and grab my bass to cover the low growls for the time being...

DJ

--

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Look at ALL the greats!

jimi_hendrix-gal-guitar.jpg

peter-frampton-concert-pic.jpg

Pkossoff.jpg

rickey_medlocke_of_lynyrd_skynyrd_5302174.jpgSee? Emotion!

And then there's this

buckethead_jk02.jpg

Not exactly what I would call' date=' emotional.

Showing facial emotion helps to better understand how/what people (guitarist/musicians) are feeling while they are playing, which in turn helps them better connect with their audiance. Now, I don't care how "emotional" Bucketheads "music" is, I'm just not into people who wear buckets on their heads (or masks for that matter).

I've listened to A LOT of his music, even before I had ever seen him as Buckethead, and guess what? I still didn't like it. And, I'm not saying he's a bad guitarist, but his music does absolutely nothing for me.

P.S. From a guy with "Gizz" in is user name? ALL insults will be taken lightly. I'm just sayin'.=D> [/quote']

Nice new argument you've brought into the thread! Moral of the story is be a conformist and you're amazing!

I just know that I like people who aren't affraid to show who they really are (live/in the studio).

Yeah, it's about showing who they really are MUSICALLY and not what they look like. Maybe the mask helps BH express himself more because he's a shy person and might be too shy without it.

Regarding the baritone tunings. I tried some of that yesterday' date=' using the VG-99 (a cracking contraption!).

Major confusion ensued. I'm obviously not ready for that quite yet. I'll stick to standard tuning and grab my bass to cover the low growls for the time being...

DJ

--[/quote']

It doesn't work at all on my electric but on my acoustic I thought it was fine and first but over time, with some songs, the strings were too buzzy.

Regarding the baritone tunings. I tried some of that yesterday' date=' using the VG-99 (a cracking contraption!).

DJ

--[/quote']

What tuning did you use exactly?

If it makes you feel any better, he's making faces underneath the mask.

You might need to see a face to help you hear emotion, but most folks that like music for music don't. I don't give five ****s what you think of his music, but that's a damn idiotic argument. I hear Creed has a new album coming out. Maybe that would be more to your liking?

If it makes you feel any better' date=' he's making faces underneath the mask.

You might need to see a face to help you hear emotion, but most folks that like music for music don't. I don't give five ****s what you think of his music, but that's a damn idiotic argument. I hear Creed has a new album coming out. Maybe that would be more to your liking?[/quote']I NEVER said that I thought his music was bad, just not my thing!

It's NOT about "hearing" emotion, as I said before I can hear it just fine, but when you see it on an artist's face? It adds a WHOLE lot more depth/humanity to the music.

What can I say, I'm just REALLY old school. Everyone says I'm a 40yr old trapped in a 27 year old body, and I'm probably one of the few people my age that owns/still listens to records (the vinyl kind). Hell, I don't even own ONE piece of music after 1985. Not that I don't listen to anything after '85, but I wouldn't own any of it.

And, no I DON'T like Creed! Just for the record.

Re. baritone tuning experiments:

What tuning did you use exactly?

I used screwed up tuning - that's what I did! LOL!

Tried again today and it works just fine with B,E,A,D,F#,B, which is 5 semitones down on all strings. With this I can, as expected, play as usual, only a perfect fourth down. I also tried B,E,A,D,G,B which I've seen mentioned as an alternative, but I found that with the different fingering on the 2nd string it wasn't worth it. I'd rather give up the familiarity with the notes on the G string (kind of irrelevant on a baritone anyway, I'd think).

The conclusion has to be that a baritone is cool, and I'll definitely don't dismiss it. I may dabble with the VG-99 solution a bit more to get a feel for it - I might even want a real one in the future, although I ought to stick with standard tuning until I have built at least rudimentary skills with that O:)/

DJ

--

It doesn't work at all on my electric but on my acoustic I thought it was fine and first but over time' date=' with some songs, the strings were too buzzy.[/quote']

Was the problem with the electric that it was all buzzing? Did the intonation hold up on the acoustic?

DJ

--

I used screwed up tuning - that's what I did! LOL!

Tried again today and it works just fine with B' date='E,A,D,F#,B, which is 5 semitones down on all strings. With this I can, as expected, play as usual, only a perfect fourth down.

--[/quote']

Yeah that's the way to go mate, no need to make things difficult for yourself. Now get cracking with the "Separate Sky" riffs!

Was the problem with the electric that it was all buzzing? Did the intonation hold up on the acoustic?

DJ

--

The electric was pretty bad. The acoustic sounded fine at first but after playing for a while I noticed the strings were rumbling a little too much.

Last time I tried The A tuning and Now I'm doing the B tuning and it's better but it doesn't sound as cool.

From what I've heard' date=' here are the supposed specs of the signature model:

- 10% larger body

- All white hardware with white open coil pickups

- 27.5 inch scale with 24 frets

- 2 "Atari style" kill switches [/quote']

Where did you hear that?

Archived