Gibson Brands Forums

Buckethead - Signature Les Paul Announced!

mcmurray

Well folks the discussion is back on. Depending on the price I'll buy one, maybe two. Anyone else looking forward to this?

Way to go Gibson for recognizing one of todays most important musicians with this signature release.

To those that despise Buckethead (or can't understand music that isn't solely restricted to the blues scale), stay away from this thread - we don't want to hear it. We don't need thread crapping especially not for an official gibson product.

"As part of Gibson’s Rocktober celebrations, Gibson will also launch and promote Signature Series guitars from stars including Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath), Dethklok, Buckethead, Epiphone Triumph Bass & more. "

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/hellfire-102/

And for those that missed the epic thread that was shut down, here it is;

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=4033

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel free to start another thread regarding other signature models stated in that article. This thread is for the Buckethead model in particular.

I wonder which one it will be? There are four options that Gibson could take with this;

Here's one, I'll add the other three as I find decent pics;

Buckethead__s_White_Les_Paul_by_lazychump.jpg

I'm not fan of Brian Carrol (Buckethead's alter ego), so...

He's IS a great player, just not my style of music. I do think Gibson could think of a better signature model though, or why not just leave well enough alone and remember who's name is on the headstock...Oh! Yeah! then they couldn't charge the extra $3,000 for attaching an artist's name to the guitar would bring!

Actually if you think about it, it would be cheaper to just buy/spraypaint a standard LP white, cause' that's basically what they did. :D

Actually if you think about it' date=' it would be cheaper to just buy/spraypaint a standard LP white, cause' that's basically what they did. :D

[/quote']

Spray painting a standard white won't add these features though: Long scale length, ebony fretboard, 24 frets, no inlays, 2x arcade style kill-switches.

Do you think this guitar will be a custom shop model?

btw Guitarest - stop embarrassing yourself. Talentless hack? Righto mate.

Spray painting a standard white won't add these features though: Long scale length' date=' ebony fretboard, 24 frets, no inlays, 2x arcade style kill-switches.

Do you think this guitar will be a custom shop model?

btw Guitarest - stop embarrassing yourself. Talentless hack? Righto mate.[/quote']Who needs all that? And an LP with 24 frets?

And most of those mods (with the exception of the 2 extra frets) can be purchased relatively cheaply and/or come standard on a few less expensive models. My main point is: it's easier/cheaper to make your own signature model (of ANY artist you like), than going out and spending/wasting a HUGE amount of money on a guitar (LP) that costs WAY more than a regular one for the simple fact that it has a particular artist's name attached to it.:-k

That would be like me taking a regular pair of Nike Air-1s, having Micheal Jordan's name stitched on them, and then trying to sell them for twice as much as they're worth.

Oh, and as far as the Ebony fretboard (no inlays), that can be found on an early '90s LP Studio. Then all you'd need is some arcade-style switches, and your partially there.

Sorry, I just can't stand when a comp...I mean corporation, does things like this and it ACTUALLY works! If people knew the difference between how little it actually cost to produce/build these guitars and how much they sell for, they'd probably be sick.:D

OK, rant over!

And most of those mods (with the exception of the 2 extra frets) can be purchased relatively cheaply and/or come standard on a few less expensive models. My main point is: it's easier/cheaper to make your own signature model (of ANY artist you like)' date=' than going out and spending/wasting a HUGE amount of money on a guitar (LP) that costs WAY more that a regular one for the simple fact that it has a particular artist's name attached to it.:D

[/quote']

Agreed. No argument from me there.

You forgot the two arcade styled kill switches.............. What a waste of craftsmanship. What a talentless hack' date=' Just someone who decided to wear a KFC bucket on his head, I hope he was smart enough to clean the grease out; I don't think so though. Any one can play scales without emotions; here is a fantastic example. I would be willing to bet this will be the worst selling of all the "Signature guitars". I wonder how many parents will be asked to buy this for christmas.

Looks like the KFC Trademark police got a hold of him, now he has a custom white KFC bucket

This thing will have as much impact on real guitar buyers as a official "Guitar Hero Les Paul"[/quote']+1000. But as far as him being a "talentless hack"? I don't think so, but I agree, he's not really worth wasting a signature model LP model on. Now if he wore a LIVE chicken on his head? then...maybe, J/K.

It seems as though Gibson is practically giving ANYONE their own signature model nowadays, regardles of there ACTUAL impact on the music world or the younger generation of guitarists, which is really sad.

The funny thing is, I'm 26 years old and didn't even know who Buckethead was (as Buckethead) until a couple of years ago! And when I found out who he really was (Brian Carrol), I about SHAT myself! Such a waste.

It seems as though Gibson is practically giving ANYONE their own signature model nowadays' date=' regardles of there ACTUAL impact on the music world or the younger generation of guitarists, which is really sad.

[/quote']

So what you're saying is that you need to have made it big time to be considered for a sig model? The problem is, if you're specializing in instrumental music you're already wiped out 95% of your potential customer base. Most people can't listen to music without vocals.

Buckethead has made a huge impact on the instrumental/independent music world and the younger generation of guitarists, this impact will only get bigger - mark my words.

So what you're saying is that you need to have made it big time to be considered for a sig model? The problem is' date=' if you're specializing in instrumental music you're already wiped out 95% of your potential customer base. Most people can't listen to music without vocals.

Buckethead has made a huge impact on the instrumental/independent music world and the younger generation of guitarists, this impact will only get bigger - mark my words.

[/quote']No. I'm sure there is a HUGE criteria that has to be met in order to be offered a sig model, I just think that there are/were much better guitarists out there who are long overdue for their sig model (i.e. Paul Kossoff, Keith Richards, Marc Bolan, etc).

And not to go too far off topic, but the ONLY thing (IMHO) that Gibson is about nowadays are guitars with gimmicks (expensive gimmics I might add), when they should just stick to the basics, which is why they USED to be so highly regarded. And the arcade switches are a gimmick btw

This guitar WILL be a HUGE seller, but to a VERY small demographic, which isn't going to fair well for Gibson, mark MY words.

And +1 to guitarest, GREAT guitarist/shredder, but not my cup of tea. He was good with G&R though!

The arcade switches are functional - hardly a gimmick.

Anyway we can both agree that he was great with GnR.

guitarest - As much as you love to believe that Buckethead fans are all children, it's not the case.

I've lost a lot of respect for Gibson.... doesnt mean I'm not going to buy their guitars

First the hendrix model and now this.....

Emotionless playing isn't worth te sh*t

I mean really he wears an effing KFC bucket.....

Waste of good wood.....

It would do more good as firewood

Nice. Finally a sig model for a deserving artist. Buckethead played at the slow down last month, and I got some sweet picks of his ax and setup. I need to get motivated and post them. This thread has inspired me to do so.

Looks like a solid model. I like the placement of the selector switch and master volume/ tone controls. The solid ebony fretboard is cool too, but I will take a pass on the 2 kill switches.

I've lost a lot of respect for Gibson.... doesnt mean I'm not going to buy their guitars

Waste of good wood.....

Clearly you haven't listened to his music. Don't be so quick to judge something you know nothing about.

Waste of good wood.....

Dom, is it your turn to be having a bad day?

Archived